+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6, Messages between the HoC and the Senate, FACTS ONLY

Kevn

Jun 1, 2017
The closure motions were passed, limiting debate on C-45 (concluded Tuesday at 5:11pm) and C-44 (still 3hrs 15mins left for debate).

Disappointingly, the Projected Order of Business for Wednesday, June 7 still does not include any mention of C-6, though it does cover the remaining debate for C-44 and the resumption of debate for C-24 on second reading, as mentioned by Ms. Chagger on June 1.

Wednesdays are shorter days, the session tomorrow beginning at 2 p.m. instead of 10 or 11 a.m. Spyfy has mentioned it would be rare for C-6 to come up if it is not in the POB, so the next possible day for C-6 seems to be Thursday.

Thursday is an allotted supply day. Spyfy, maybe you can speak to this, but I think a supply day means the Opposition motions have precedence on these days where budget questions are debated. So C-6 may end up not coming up on Thursday, either.

Friday is a scheduled sitting day...

Kevn

This is a facts only thread whose single purpose is to clarify factual questions regarding the progress of C-6 in parliament.

Reactions: Khaled_Youssef

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
The closure motions were passed, limiting debate on C-45 (concluded Tuesday at 5:11pm) and C-44 (still 3hrs 15mins left for debate).

Disappointingly, the Projected Order of Business for Wednesday, June 7 still does not include any mention of C-6, though it does cover the remaining debate for C-44 and the resumption of debate for C-24 on second reading, as mentioned by Ms. Chagger on June 1.

Wednesdays are shorter days, the session tomorrow beginning at 2 p.m. instead of 10 or 11 a.m. Spyfy has mentioned it would be rare for C-6 to come up if it is not in the POB, so the next possible day for C-6 seems to be Thursday.

Thursday is an allotted supply day. Spyfy, maybe you can speak to this, but I think a supply day means the Opposition motions have precedence on these days where budget questions are debated. So C-6 may end up not coming up on Thursday, either.

Friday is a scheduled sitting day...

Kevn

This is a facts only thread whose single purpose is to clarify factual questions regarding the progress of C-6 in parliament.
Small correction regarding the first part: you mixed up C-44 and C-45 (Not that most people on here would care :) )

About the rest: note that C-45 will eat up most of the time on the shorter sitting day tomorrow anyways, so they'll only have time for something as short as C-24 anyways. I don't find it concerning that C-6 doesn't show up tomorrow. To the contrary, so far they are sticking exactly to the plan announced last week and that's a good sign.

But yes, C-6 will not be debated tomorrow. It's not even unlikely in this case (because it's not on the POB), it is in fact impossible since it is not on the order paper for the day either. And anything debated in the HoC must be put on the order paper at least one day in advance (emergency debates notwithstanding).

There's still time on Thu and Fri. Yes Thursday is an alloted day but often that part doesn't start before the evening and they might very well deal with other bills in the morning/afternoon.

Reactions: Khaled_Youssef

JasFer

Mar 6, 2017
I heard back from the secretary of an MP yesterday (Tuesday, June 6) that C6 is very likely to be discussed in the HOC on Thursday. However, they cannot comment on if it will become law or when it may receive Royal Assent. This reply seems reasonable to me...

PROC6

May 3, 2017
On June 5th,

Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏Verified account @SenJaffer
Jun 5

I truly believe
#C6 will become law by the end of June. #senCA

https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/871862382217363457

Then earlier today, June 7

Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏Verified account @SenJaffer
4h4 hours ago

#C6 I believe the Senate will receive C6 back before June. For all those who are anxious please do not give up #SenCA

https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/872409196100243456

Why would the senator believe the bill will go back to the senate? Doesn't that imply that the lower house is planning on rejecting some or all the amendments?

Correct if I'm wrong but the only way C-6 would go back to the senate is if any of the amendments introduced by senate were rejected by the HoC..

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Why would the senator believe the bill will go back to the senate? Doesn't that imply that the lower house is planning on rejecting some or all the amendments?

Correct if I'm wrong but the only way C-6 would go back to the senate is if any of the amendments introduced by senate were rejected by the HoC..
You are correct with your last sentence.

However, several hints by Senators and the Government (including the tweets you posted) indicate that the Government will not accept all amendments. Even without any info, the percentage of Senate amendments that are simply accepted by the HoC without refusing/modifying some is very, very slim.

Plus, it is also very likely that the amendment regarding due process will be changed. Not just because the Government wants to change it out of principle. Note that the amendment was drafted by a single Senate employee and it is very unlikely that even with the best intentions, the current form of the amendment is actually consistent with the practices of the legal system. The government has an army of lawyers who will - even if the government accepts the idea of appeal as proposed by the Senate - have several requests for mere technical changes.

Reactions: rdbr

Kevn

Jun 1, 2017

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
And there is no way in hell they will accept the language requirements. That is a complete win win for conservatives. Not only does it directly cut down on the liberal vote bank, but also will be a major political loss if implemented. That is not being accepted for sure...

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
I heard back from the secretary of an MP yesterday (Tuesday, June 6) that C6 is very likely to be discussed in the HOC on Thursday. However, they cannot comment on if it will become law or when it may receive Royal Assent. This reply seems reasonable to me...
Thanks for taking the effort to send the email. Appreciated.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
I am sorry for my previous comment. It was a speculation. Sorry.

Kevn

Jun 1, 2017
Skipped again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed, C-6 doesn't receive a mention in the Projected Order of Business for June 8, 2017.

It looks like C-45 (thanks for the correction, Spyfy) got stretched out to another day due to a deferred vote on a proposed amendment that was requested to be recorded on division. (At least I'm learning a lot about Parliamentary jargon.)

And C-24 turned out to be longer than I expected, but also time-limited to five hours in the same way as C-44 and C-45 before it. Now 2hrs 14mins left for debate.

Looks like on Thursday they squeezed in C-50 in a slot that looked to me like a possible slot for C-6, so the next possible day to address the Senate's C-6 amendments is Friday.

Kevn

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
Indeed, C-6 doesn't receive a mention in the Projected Order of Business for June 8, 2017.

It looks like C-45 (thanks for the correction, Spyfy) got stretched out to another day due to a deferred vote on a proposed amendment that was requested to be recorded on division. (At least I'm learning a lot about Parliamentary jargon.)

And C-24 turned out to be longer than I expected, but also time-limited to five hours in the same way as C-44 and C-45 before it. Now 2hrs 14mins left for debate.

Looks like on Thursday they squeezed in C-50 in a slot that looked to me like a possible slot for C-6, so the next possible day to address the Senate's C-6 amendments is Friday.

Kevn

House Agenda
Thursday, June 8, 2017. Subject to change without notice.

C-45 (second reading - amendment)
Cannabis Act

C-342 (second reading)
An Act to amend the Excise Tax Act (carbon levy)

C-24 (second reading - amendment)
An Act to amend the Salaries Act and to make a consequential amendment to the Financial Administration Act

C-50 (second reading)
An Act to amend the Canada Elections Act (political financing)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Fyi, today during the "Thursday Statement" which is when the government announces the planned business for the upcoming days, B. Chagger said that:
- tomorrow (Friday) will be C-44 exclusively.
- next week they "hope to deal with several important bills, ..., including C-6"

Reactions: capermanet and Kevn