+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
MasterGeek said:
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq#Q8
Q8: I have more than 1,095 days of basic residence (or basic residence taking into account time spent serving a sentence) but fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence. Should I apply now or wait until I have 1,095 days of physical presence?

A8: Only a citizenship judge can determine if you meet the residence requirements with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence. If you apply with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence, a citizenship judge will evaluate the nature of your residence in Canada. You will be asked to complete a residence questionnaire and provide evidence that establishes residence in Canada, and you might be asked to appear in person before a citizenship judge. When you apply with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence, your application will take longer to process and may be refused by the citizenship judge.

Deciding to apply with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence is a personal decision that should be made carefully and take into account your personal circumstances.
I think that you should start a separate thread with this question -- this thread is quite long and I suspect most participants are ignoring it -- and then people with more knowledge than I have about current procedures can explain, with details, why your plan will take longer, cost more, and result in failure.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MasterGeek said:
I'm holding off from any international travel. until the coming into force date is announced.

If the coming into force is November 2015 or later I'll be able to submit my application before with 1095 physical residence days. If it's before that date but not earlier than August 2015, I think I'll submit my application with the basic residence days and hope the judge will approve my application.

What are the chances of getting approved by the judge with more than 1095 basic days (arrived in Canada in January 2011 with a work permit, landed in August 2013) but just 1060 physical days ? The trips were just for vacation.
Zero

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My suspicion is that, given the extremely clear intentions of the new Act, Citizenship Judges are much less likely to ignore the physical residency requirements, even if the provision in the Act is not yet in force. The writing is on the wall for applications based on basic residency only and CIC would probably appeal a decision.

Kaplan

Aug 12, 2010
Destined said:
Kaplan,
Please dont expect perfection from every one... Yes, there are so many in this forum who are ignorant/ could not follow as good as some others do...
David Cohen(Owner of the forum) is ok with this bunch of ignorant/simple question asker's... and If I am correct David Cohen did not hire you to make the sort of comments you are making in last 5-7 pages..

There are some who are good enough to answer silly questions. others can roll on to next topic....

warm regards
Destined.

Destined, you are correct. NOLO CONTENDERE.

It is not the subject of "silly questions" that I found untoward, but rather that of the "silly, incorrect responses", which seem to irresponsibly abound.

I do not understand your statement that I lacked Mr. Cohen's authority to comment about him. If you would kindly refer to my post, then you will notice that
I merely opined that he is a knowledgeable immigration lawyer. I once had the pleasure and honour of discussing a case with him, and found my description to be accurate. I could add that he is a gentleman, but I lack authority to so state.

If Mr. Cohen disavows my comments, then I shall immediately withdraw same.

Notwithstanding your intimation, I did not suggest that anyone engage Mr. Cohen, but rather that the advice of a knowledgeable immigration attorney is sometimes necessary!

Thank you for clarifying the purpose of the chatroom. In the past I had always enjoyed the meaningful insights and contributions, but lamentably, most of the participants of intellectual discourse no longer frequent this forum.

Sincerely,

The Turkish Tiger Kaplan

Jes

Dec 10, 2007
Is the Kaplan guy real?

He elevated the definition of internet trolls to new heights.

Jes (Not Turkish nor anything from the cat species)

boras

Jul 14, 2014
I have been reading this thread since April and saw some recent discussions regarding Bill C-24's implementation date, so I called CIC Call Centre (1-888-242‑2100) today, option 1(English) - 1 (no application in progress) - 3 (become a citizen) - 0 (speak to an agent).

The same as others had mentioned earlier in the thread, the agent said that the new 4 out of 6 years living requirement would come into force on June 19, 2015. Since there is no official date on CIC website except the sentence "These provisions will come into force in approximately a year", I asked the agent whether 19/06/2015 is an estimated date or a fixed date, and the answer was the latter one. She also sent me an email which contains several links about the new citizenship act; however, neither the email nor the links confirm the date.

I'm not sure why CIC call centre keeps telling people the date while CIC doesn't release it online, hope we'll hear more from CIC soon...

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Today an agent told me that the implementation date will be in July/2015, so if somebody apply before July it will be the old requirement for residence for them.

There is a reason why the official statement say "Approximately one year"

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This law office also say that it will be implemented July/2015
daviddavislaw.com/article;story,106;Citizenship-Bill-C-24

Kaplan

Aug 12, 2010
boras said:
I have been reading this thread since April and saw some recent discussions regarding Bill C-24's implementation date, so I called CIC Call Centre (1-888-242‑2100) today, option 1(English) - 1 (no application in progress) - 3 (become a citizen) - 0 (speak to an agent).

The same as others had mentioned earlier in the thread, the agent said that the new 4 out of 6 years living requirement would come into force on June 19, 2015. Since there is no official date on CIC website except the sentence "These provisions will come into force in approximately a year", I asked the agent whether 19/06/2015 is an estimated date or a fixed date, and the answer was the latter one. She also sent me an email which contains several links about the new citizenship act; however, neither the email nor the links confirm the date.

I'm not sure why CIC call centre keeps telling people the date while CIC doesn't release it online, hope we'll hear more from CIC soon...
Thank you for calling the CIC and sharing your findings with us.

When I called, I was assured by a female, in french, that the date of implementation would be "le 19 juillet 2015" (19 July 2015). Other posters report having been told 19 July 2015, seemingly by francophonic representatives.

The consensus of opinions tends to favour the date of 19 June 2015 as the date of implementation of C-24. Although both dates are consistent with the CIC's press release; i.e."These provisions will come into force in approximately a year.", I would tend to believe the 19 July 2015 date to be the more accurate, for reasons too complex to elucidate here.

Although those whose eligibility should fall between those dates, may have cause for concern, we should all be able to rely upon the integrity of the CIC not to mislead aspirants for citizenship. Certain malicious, unfounded posts notwithstanding, the CIC has not shown itself to be perverse such as to intentionally cause anxiety among future citizens, by way of the dissemination of misleading information, that is so crucial to us.

Apparently, the CIC has not yet posted a precise date of implementation of this Law. However, to its credit, and at the risk of repetition, immediately upon passage and Royal Assent of C-24, the CIC published a press release, wherein it stated the date of implementation to be in "approximately one year". This press release was published with the obvious intention of transparency, in order to assuage any undue apprehensions in the minds of future applicants.

Moreover, the call centre representatives have been instructed to respond as to a precise date of implementation, as confirmed by several posters here.

Although there are those who have expressed doubt as to the good faith intentions of the CIC, I believe it grossly unfair to accuse it of the lack of transparency, as to the date of implementation of C-24.

As always, good luck to all good faith applicants for Canadian citizenship!

Kaplan (The Turkish Tiger)

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm starting to believe that it is very possible the implementation date to be on Canada Day 2015... The agent today said "If you apply before July, you'll be processed, according to the old residence requirement 3 out of 4 years.

Probably that's why they use the word "Approximately".

If it was 19/June, they would say "It will be implemented after one year"

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kaplan said:
Destined, you are correct. NOLO CONTENDERE.

It is not the subject of "silly questions" that I found untoward, but rather that of the "silly, incorrect responses", which seem to irresponsibly abound.

I do not understand your statement that I lacked Mr. Cohen's authority to comment about him. If you would kindly refer to my post, then you will notice that
I merely opined that he is a knowledgeable immigration lawyer. I once had the pleasure and honour of discussing a case with him, and found my description to be accurate. I could add that he is a gentleman, but I lack authority to so state.

If Mr. Cohen disavows my comments, then I shall immediately withdraw same.

Notwithstanding your intimation, I did not suggest that anyone engage Mr. Cohen, but rather that the advice of a knowledgeable immigration attorney is sometimes necessary!

Thank you for clarifying the purpose of the chatroom. In the past I had always enjoyed the meaningful insights and contributions, but lamentably, most of the participants of intellectual discourse no longer frequent this forum.

Sincerely,

The Turkish Tiger Kaplan
Should we consider this as your last goodbye post, hopefully? :)

2015canadian

Jul 15, 2014
Dear friends. Had a question,
on Language requirements. I am assuming the new language requirements
will apply to ages 14 to 64, when the new law is enforced. Will Results of CIC approved third party test example ILETS etc. become a mandatory requirement to include while submitting citizenship application?????? ...Currently as a Language proficiency proof 'Proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in French or English' is regarded fine.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2015canadian said:
Dear friends. Had a question,
on Language requirements. I am assuming the new language requirements
will apply to ages 14 to 64, when the new law is enforced. Will Results of CIC approved third party test example ILETS etc. become a mandatory requirement to include while submitting citizenship application?????? ...Currently as a Language proficiency proof 'Proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in French or English' is regarded fine.
They dont need a law for that. CIC can change the method of assessment without a law. So to answer your question, no changes has been made to proof of language for citizenship purposes, to the best of my knowledge.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Guys,

Please check the following link:

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?&nid=859509&_ga=1.226465118.553682167.1403280871

It clearly states the following:

Citizenship applicants will need to be physically present in Canada for a total of four out of their last six years. In addition, they will need to be physically present in Canada for 183 days per year for at least four of those six years. These provisions will come into force in approximately a year.

Approximately a year means 1 year starting from June 19, 2014.

I hope it clarifies any doubts for the people who are keen to know about it. This is the wording from official page of CIC

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Guys,

Please check the following link:

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?&nid=859509&_ga=1.226465118.553682167.1403280871

It clearly states the following:

Citizenship applicants will need to be physically present in Canada for a total of four out of their last six years. In addition, they will need to be physically present in Canada for 183 days per year for at least four of those six years. These provisions will come into force in approximately a year.

Approximately a year means 1 year starting from June 19, 2014.

I hope it clarifies any doubts for the people who are keen to know about it. This is the wording from official page of CIC

Exactly. IN fact this questuion has been answered times after times in this thread and also in this forum.
PPL just are lazy to look into former posts for answers.