+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
j_s_123 said:
Unfortunately, when I called CIC today they told me that it is effective from June 19th, 2015 not July.
This is the second time that I called CIC and both times they told me the same date.

I meet the requirement by July not June :(
The bill was assented on Jun 19,2014 so it Makes sense to be effective on Jun 19,2015. Bcoz that will be one year exactly.. I don't know who said Jul19,2015 but why should cic wait 13 months,instead of a year to put it into effect?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Is the effective date something everyone is guessing at? Or has Harper or Alexander given a fixed date?

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
txboyscout said:
Is the effective date something everyone is guessing at? Or has Harper or Alexander given a fixed date?
Not even CIC published this anywhere, it is just what based on Call Center verbal reply to calls.

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
txboyscout said:

The only OFFICIAL source so far is a post in the cic website indicating that the change of requirements of residency in Canada will become effective in APPROXIMATELY a year. This post was seen anew on Jun 20,2014.

Some guys called cic hotline and obtained answers from cic agents that the change will be effective on Jun19,2015.

That is all we have now.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
Munchenxx said:
The only OFFICIAL source so far is a post in the cic website indicating that the change of requirements of residency in Canada will become effective in APPROXIMATELY a year. This post was seen anew on Jun 20,2014.

Some guys called cic hotline and obtained answers from cic agents that the change will be effective on Jun19,2015.

That is all we have now.

Hope they will keep their words.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is the hottest thread, even after bill c-24 became law.
rock on!!!

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Munchenxx said:

That is all we have now.
No offense to CIC Call centre agents, but sometimes I feel like, we as applicants, know more than they do.

So, at this point it is anyone's guess what "approximately 1 year" means. Surely it can't be June or July 2015, mere months before an election?

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
txboyscout said:
No offense to CIC Call centre agents, but sometimes I feel like, we as applicants, know more than they do.

So, at this point it is anyone's guess what "approximately 1 year" means. Surely it can't be June or July 2015, mere months before an election?
I don't know what point you are trying to make here

SubZero_2

Star Member
Apr 12, 2012
Good news folks, I have just talked to a CIC agent and she told me that residency requirement (4 out of 6 and elimination of Pre-PR time) will be effective from 19 June 2015.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
SubZero_2 said:
Good news folks, I have just talked to a CIC agent and she told me that residency requirement (4 out of 6 and elimination of Pre-PR time) will be effective from 19 June 2015.
I wonder what sort of information they have. If they have a specific date and disclose it to public, why would the official new release say approximate?

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SubZero_2 said:

Thanks for this!

BTW, does anyone know if CIC would take the date when they receive our envelope as the date of application?(UPS can be tracked to see the exact date our package received/signed).
Or they use the date when they open our envelope and assign a file number?

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
Munchenxx said:
Thanks for this!

BTW, does anyone know if CIC would take the date when they receive our envelope as the date of application?(UPS can be tracked to see the exact date our package received/signed).
It should be the date they received the applications. With current backlog it takes about two months to get the file number. Within two months several things can change.

Also we will know when this is going to take effect by the change of application forms and instructions. As current applications care about 4 year history. New applications would need 6 years history of address, employment, studies and absence. On line residency calculator need to be changed too.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Munchenxx said:
Thanks for this!

Normally, it's the application date -- the one inside your form. So, even if they were to get the envelope on June 20, 2015, and your date is June 24, 2014, it will be processed according to old rules. This is what a CIC agent told me as well.

By the way, the training involved in the new provisions is extensive and expensive. That's why they'll be doing that over the next years. Also, more training will ensue with applications that will be received as of June 2015 (or even earlier), which might slow things down a little bit.