+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

transformer

Star Member
Jul 12, 2007
guys this is super super scary :eek:

"Bill C-24 is now in its final stages of study, with the government hoping to pass and enact it before Canada Day."

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/06/12/tories_insist_changes_to_citizenship_act_will_respect_charter_constitution.html

dr_ziad80

Star Member
May 5, 2014
sicko86 said:
Quoting Chris Alexander:

"First, I will discuss the questions that have arisen in the media, in the House, and elsewhere about the bill. There have been a few lawyers and a few voices in the House questioning the need to require those applying for citizenship to declare their intent to reside. Subparagraph 3(1)(c)(i) of the bill asks that the applicant be required to intend, if granted, to continue to reside in Canada. Some have misunderstood this provision to mean that anyone applying for citizenship or seeking to meet the requirements of citizenship, which would be four years of residency out of six, must declare an intention to reside in Canada for the rest of their lives. Nothing could be further from the truth and those who have perpetrated this misunderstanding have simply not read the further paragraph, which is (2)(1.1), on page 12 of the bill as I have it printed. It states:

For the purposes of paragraphs (1)(c.1) and 11(1)(d.1), the person's intention must be continuous from the date of his or her application until they have taken the oath of citizenship.""

SO IN SIMPLE WORDS YOU MEAN THE ( INTEND TO RESIDE) MEANS THE PERIOD FROM APPLYING YOUR CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION TO TAKING THE OATH???

DID I GET IT RIGHT? I GUESS WE ALL WANT TO LIVE IN BEAUTIFUL CANADA FOREVER BUT FEELING YOU HAVE TO STAY MAKES ME SUFFOCATE , I LIKE TO KNOW THAT I HAVE THE OPTION TO LEAVE IF I WANT TO!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
transformer said:
guys this is super super scary :eek:

"Bill C-24 is now in its final stages of study, with the government hoping to pass and enact it before Canada Day."

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/06/12/tories_insist_changes_to_citizenship_act_will_respect_charter_constitution.html
There was no government authority quoted for that statement, so for now, we can treat it as irrelevant speculation by the reporter.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Just for the next federal election stuff, all you guys are speculating on something no one can know about. Quebec won't vote for the Tories, that's certain -- but if they support another strong national party can't be said. The prairies won't support anyone but the Cons -- but how many minority members they send to Ottawa can't be guessed. BC is weird. The election will be won, like all Canadian elections, in Ontario. IF there's enough of a Con movement that they can grab enough seats to supplement the Prairies (or more), then they win and might become (or continue being) the dominant Canadian party. If the Grits or NDP can beat them back in SW Ontario, then they win as long as those seats are matched in the Atlantic, BC, or Quebec. As Canadian politics stand now, this is how the government is determined. The recent Ontario election doesn't have too much to say about that, honestly, except whether the voters that (decisively) rejected Hudak's austerity remember that when then Federal election rolls by; I wouldn't bet on it, provincial and federal politics are pretty divorced, but still, yesterday doesn't help Harper.

The larger question, the inability of the NDP and Liberals to work with each other, is another story. If they can work that out, without losing too much of their support to the Tories, then the Tories will be forced to the middle. The reason that they can get away with being so conservative right now is because of their base in the Prairies and the fractured opposition in Ontario. The election yesterday sure doesn't offer much hope of that.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Don't forget the "Rob Ford" factor. To many, he represents the PC, even if neither he or the PC like it. At least a small amount of vote will be a backlash to him.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
zardoz said:
Don't forget the "Rob Ford" factor. To many, he represents the PC, even if neither he or the PC like it. At least a small amount of vote will be a backlash to him.
I kind of agree -- but the fact that Ford is found in Toronto shows that the Tories are fighting the elections in areas where the opposition has to win.

For me, Canadian politics are not really about Harper, he's a symptom of the fact that the Canadian middle and the Canadian left are bizarrely unable to work with each other. If they could, that would change the dynamic of Canadian elections; just like the amalgamation of the Tories and Reform, way, back when. Quebec supporting the same middle/left party as English Canada would also change the game. But until one of those things happens, the Tories are running downhill.

Although, the Prairies aren't quite as solid Con as they used to be . . .

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
I have said before in many of my comments that the government is going to pass the bill c24 into law before the mid of June 2014, most if not all in this forum laughed at me and especially one crazy with fillipino flag

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Third reading will be finished monday, which is a bit later than we expected. but senate will speed through it pretty quick if the government wants the bill to receive royal assent.
the day has finally come!!!!!!!!!!!

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Desert Lion said:
I have said before in many of my comments that the government is going to pass the bill c24 into law before the mid of June 2014, most if not all in this forum laughed at me and especially one crazy with fillipino flag
Passing it in the house of common doesn't mean the Bill will Pass immediately .. If the Bill Passed the House of Commons on Monday .. the Senate have only 7 business days to pass it before summer break .. which seems to be unlikely (They still have to go 3 readings and commitee reviews before Royal Assent). (Last Day is June 27th) and Monday 23rd and Tuesday 24th there is no Senate Meetings.

This Bill is like any other Bill .. There is no special treatment for this Bill! They are studying it along with many different Bills ... The Canadian Parliament doesn't work in the way you guys think!!

Adding to that .. Lets assume they managed to Pass it in 7 Days .. it wont become a LAW Immediately!!

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sicko86 said:
Passing it in the house of common doesn't mean the Bill will Pass immediately .. If the Bill Passed the House of Commons on Monday .. the Senate have only 7 business days to pass it before summer break .. which seems to be unlikely (They still have to go 3 readings and commitee reviews before Royal Assent). (Last Day is June 27th) and Monday 23rd and Tuesday 24th there is no Senate Meetings.

This Bill is like any other Bill .. There is no special treatment for this Bill! They are studying it along with many different Bills ... The Canadian Parliament doesn't work in the way you guys think!!

Adding to that .. Lets assume they managed to Pass it in 7 Days .. it wont become a LAW Immediately!!
Dont bother... I gave up trying to explain to people here that it wont pass before summer break. They will keep freaking out until 11:59 PM the last day before summer break, regardless.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
Dont bother... I gave up trying to explain to people here that it wont pass before summer break. They will keep freaking out until 11:59 PM the last day before summer break, regardless.
Lmao!

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
dont think senate works that late either :D

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Desert Lion said:
Lol and we will continue to laugh at you when the bill doesn't pass before the summer recess. I know you express you pessimism for the hope of getting reassurances but like somebody said, my suspicion is that you will not get peace of mind until 11:59pm on June 27th.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So if it does not pass before summer then what would be anyone's thought when it will be actual law... I know it is all speculation but I am just interested in knowing.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
CanV said:
Yes, a little research can show you that .. some people thinks that there is a Conspiracy here against them and that this Bill is unique and will have a unique procedure ...

The Bill wont pass until later this year (Maybe October) .. and wont be a Law until Summer 2015 at the earliest (Based on Senate timelines for different Bills and Based Previous Citizenship Related Bill Timelines and Times between Royal Assent and "Effective Law").

So Just Guys Relax and go Enjoy the World Cup! We still way far from seeing it as a Law.