+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
I don't know... After Redford in BC, Duffy, Brazeau, nothing much has changed. But in Canada and the US, racial and/or religious-based slurs are always dangerous.

The Cons' response to any criticism is that they just indiscriminately start spitting fire,like Alexander saying lawyers are just trying to drum up immigration consulting business through their opposition to Bill C-24. Because of that thoughtless reaction,they will now have 35,000 rich and influential enemies who can do a lot of damage. I would think politically what Alexander said was really stupid and undiplomatic. Similar for what Harper's gofer did in that article above: they want to discredit thhe opponent quickly (same strategy as Alexander's), but not verifying their facts. Stupid,stupid,stupid. I am looking forward to seeing media coverage on this :).

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
And a big OUCHHHHHH ! :eek: :eek:

She's well respected...very clearly she definitely ain't amused !

Government invites, then blocks witnesses from citizenship and immigration debate

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/government-repeatedly-shuts-out-witnesses-citizenship-and-immigration-debate

CIC1973

Star Member
Apr 10, 2014
us2yow said:
Precarious citizenship - The proposed overhaul of the Citizenship Act isn't likely to survive a constitutional challenge, say immigration lawyers.

http://nationalmagazine.ca/Articles/May-2014-Web/Precarious-citizenship.aspx
very good article, I like this part:

“The fact that they’re going to a letter-writing process to take away something as fundamental as citizenship when you can get a hearing in court on a traffic ticket shows that they are very dismissive of citizenship rights,”

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is the name of the committee which will see the bill in the senate?

Ideally, every bill should go to Senate committee but will bill c-24 be referred to senate committee where there have been commons committee discussion previously on the subject matter of the bill?

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Legislative Summary of Bill C-24: An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts *
Status of the Bill
Julie Béchard, Penny Becklumb and Sandra Elgersma, Economics, Resources and International Affairs Division
5 March 2014 Publication Number 41-2-C24-E PDF PDF 426 kB, 34 pages

Bill C-24 also adds the requirement that permanent residents seeking citizenship intend to reside in Canada once citizenship is granted (new section 5(1)(c.1)), a stipulation contained in the 1947 Canadian Citizenship Act. Permanent residents can fulfill this criterion when abroad through the employment of their spouse, common-law partner or parent – or their own employment – in service to Canada as defined in new sections 5(1.01) and 5(1.02).

New section 5(1.1) provides that the permanent resident’s intention must be continuous from the date of his or her application until he or she has taken the oath of citizenship.

:eek: :eek: Is there anyone who has not understand the intent clause. :( :( My take is the first line and the other line is contradictory to each other.

Marypetty

Apr 1, 2013
This topic has descended into racism. I think Canada and other western countries have taken in many more asylum seekers, immigrants and others for permanent settlement than any of the other countries around the globe. I would never be able to become a citizen of India, Pakistan, China, Japan, but hopefully I can in Canada. Please leave out the racist remarks and concentrate on the facts.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Marypetty said:
This topic has descended into racism. I think Canada and other western countries have taken in many more asylum seekers, immigrants and others for permanent settlement than any of the other countries around the globe. I would never be able to become a citizen of India, Pakistan, China, Japan, but hopefully I can in Canada. Please leave out the racist remarks and concentrate on the facts.
Huh... :eek: Are you sure, you're commenting on the right topic? Where do you see 'racist remarks' here????????????

This topic has come to a point that for the sake of Canada, Conservatives must loose the office in 2015. And everyone should try their best to make it happen. Nothing else.

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
Marypetty said:
I don't see any racism. Maybe you are trying to stir up something?

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is found racism and discrimination at some point and somewhere in Canada which is an unfortunate!
I think we as newcomers or immigrants to Canada were suffering from something in our home countries and we selected Canada as a democratic ,multicultural ,calm and free country. Unfortunately, we are seeing the bill C-24 is going to weaken the pillars of democracy and freedom and perhaps to establish inequality between citizens of Canada. So the most democratic approach is to try to pull down the Conservatives from power by reasonable and peaceful methods such as encouraging people to vote for other parties.

Hope it makes more sense.
Have a good day everyone it's time to work for me,
S.
ghatot201 said:
I don't see any racism. Maybe you are trying to stir up something?

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any status update for C-24 today?

Skakeholder

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
Any status update for C-24 today?
that's all I know:

Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration
June 2, 2014 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. (EDT)
Meeting 30The Notice of Meeting was modifiedCommittee meeting will be televised
Centre Block, Room: 237-C
Studies/Activities:
Bill C-24, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts
http://www.parl.gc.ca/CommitteeBusiness/CommitteeMeetings.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sazamizi said:
It is found racism and discrimination at some point and somewhere in Canada which is an unfortunate!
I think we as newcomers or immigrants to Canada were suffering from something in our home countries and we selected Canada as a democratic ,multicultural ,calm and free country. Unfortunately, we are seeing the bill C-24 is going to weaken the pillars of democracy and freedom and perhaps to establish inequality between citizens of Canada. So the most democratic approach is to try to pull down the Conservatives from power by reasonable and peaceful methods such as encouraging people to vote for other parties.

Hope it makes more sense.
Have a good day everyone it's time to work for me,
S.
1, "we selected Canada as a democratic " And that is exactly what you got. The governing party of the democratically elected parliament of Canada, introduced a Citizenship bill, which appears likely to pass. Do you consider it democracy only if the ruling government passes bills and enacts legislation that you like?

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
thepolestar said:
Legislative Summary of Bill C-24: An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts *
Status of the Bill
Julie Béchard, Penny Becklumb and Sandra Elgersma, Economics, Resources and International Affairs Division
5 March 2014 Publication Number 41-2-C24-E PDF PDF 426 kB, 34 pages

Bill C-24 also adds the requirement that permanent residents seeking citizenship intend to reside in Canada once citizenship is granted (new section 5(1)(c.1)), a stipulation contained in the 1947 Canadian Citizenship Act. Permanent residents can fulfill this criterion when abroad through the employment of their spouse, common-law partner or parent – or their own employment – in service to Canada as defined in new sections 5(1.01) and 5(1.02).

New section 5(1.1) provides that the permanent resident's intention must be continuous from the date of his or her application until he or she has taken the oath of citizenship.

:eek: :eek: Is there anyone who has not understand the intent clause. :( :( My take is the first line and the other line is contradictory to each other.
I don't know why you guys are really scared about the intent to reside clause ... I read some of the Parliament sitting discussion and the purpose of this "Intent to Reside" is to make sure you stay in Canada until you complete your Citizenship Application. There is nothing related to stripping people their Citizen after obtaining it ... As you will be Canadian as any other Canadian in this country.

Many People leave Canada immediately after finishing the 1095 days and send the application and they come back for the exam and oath and just leave again immediately and that what the goverment doesn't want and it makes a total sense.. they don't want to give Citizenship to people who doesn't want to live here ... why would they? Remember that Citizenship is a privilege and not a right.

This Intent to Reside clause means you intent to Reside at least until you become Canadian ... after that you are free to do whatever you want and no body can strip you your Citizen.

I disagree however on the item related to increasing the Minister Powers in terms of stripping people their citizenship (for Fraud purposes) as this should be handled by the court only and I disagree on eliminating the Pre-PR time. (My opinion).

BlueCastle

Apr 10, 2014
PMM said:
Hi

1, "we selected Canada as a democratic " And that is exactly what you got. The governing party of the democratically elected parliament of Canada, introduced a Citizenship bill, which appears likely to pass. Do you consider it democracy only if the ruling government passes bills and enacts legislation that you like?

If you really believed in your first statement, you would not write the rest. This country is DEMOCRATIC, this is the point you haven't got it yet. There is a Constitution and a charter which guaranteed citizen's right. May you've heard about " Mobility Right', and "Freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of speech and of the press'; Is that a problem that people share their thoughts and believes about Mobility Right?! Of course nobody believes the government should passes only the bills of desire, but do not forget it is NOT a LAW yet! What DEMOCRACY you believe that stops discussion about a BILL ?! You could share your thoughts here without closing your eyes on other's rights. BTW, the majority could be wrong- what happened to First Nation's Children on last decades is just a sample of many. That's why the Constitution and Charter are exist to align the country with its progressive preset direction.
Finally, I do believe in this country and it's legislation. I don't think any DISCRIMINATION will happen in law, and if did will not stay for long.
Thanks for your understanding

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
Hello folks, check out this:

Thank you, Mr. Chair.

I would like to come back to what you said about the intent to reside in Canada.

Someone who states that they intend to reside in Canada, becomes a citizen and leaves Canada to live abroad could not be accused of having made a false statement to acquire their citizenship. Their citizenship cannot be revoked because they left Canada shortly after acquiring it. Did I understand correctly?

4:25 p.m.

Conservative

Chris Alexander Ajax—Pickering, ON

Absolutely. Under the new bill, the declaration of intent to reside in Canada applies to the period of four years out of six when the individual must live here to be eligible for Canadian citizenship.

NDP

Lysane Blanchette-Lamothe Pierrefonds—Dollard, QC

So that does not apply after they become citizens.

Conservative

Chris Alexander Ajax—Pickering, ON

That's correct.

Of course, we will continue to promote residing in Canada, as that is the objective of our immigration system and our citizenship program. However, we recognize the global nature of our economy and we know that a Canadian company could offer a new citizen a job in Berlin, Hong Kong or Kinshasa.