+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
paw339 said:
Anya that is true and I have no doubt that this bill will cause problems for some genuine people who want to make Canada their home.

It a very sad fact that so often today, life is made more difficult for honest individuals because of the dishonesty of a few who want to cheat and abuse the system.

Would the Citizenship application process be so difficult and time consuming if so many people in the past hadn't lied to try and fraudulently obtain Citizenship?

Regards
So if my "cousin" lied then I get punished? Go after people who lied, thats how you deter others from lying in the future, not by treating everyone as a suspect.

What I dont understand about this whole thing is are the Cons actually realizing how many votes they are losing for generations? One day everyone will become a citizen after having to go thru this nonsense, which they still call "strengthening" canadian citizenship (how?), and how many will vote Cons?

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately Canadians who voted for the Cons do not seem to regret their choice... one recent poll (sorry I can't retrieve the link) even credited them with a winning position in 2015...

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
The problem is the only way anyone has come up with of trying to prevent dishonest individuals from cheating the system and prevent them from fraudulently obtaining citizenship ends up making life difficult for everyone else. I'm "unhappy" with the liars and cheats not the current government.

It's all too easy to criticise C-24 without proposing an alternative way of preventing abuse of the system. I certainly can't think of a way of a catching all the liars and cheats without inconveniencing all the honest immigrants who want to make Canada their home.

regards

Marypetty

Apr 1, 2013
Just for interest, I give below a section of an email I received from the Office of Mr. Tom Mulcair back in March.

"The NDP supports reforming the Citizenship Act, which has not been revised since 1977. We welcome the changes that include extending citizenship to “lost Canadians,” expediting the process for granting citizenship to permanent residents who are serving in the Canadian Armed Forces, establishing stricter rules for immigration consultants, and clarifying the period during which individuals must physically be in Canada before applying for citizenship, thereby clarifying the meaning of being a resident in the legislation."

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just imagine how many people even see the parliament debate probably only those who get affected by the bill (negatively or positively). If a general member of the public becomes aware of this bill and its provisions that they could be stripped of their citizen without getting a due legal process even when you are born here and lived here for generations, things might take some shape.

In my opinion : There is not enough movement of people voicing their concern to their local MP/MPP's and not enough media coverage behind it. . Even though some section of media has raised the issue but it is still not enough to raise the eyebrows of a common person. There is election atmosphere in Ontario hence all the MPP candidates will at least listen to general public sentiments toward this bill and may voice their concern to the federal counterpart.

I believe - > The common citizens are still unaware of bill C-24 thinking the bill would affect only those who are new Canadians or who were not born in Canada (Naturalized) but they don't know that every one who have been here for generations the new law will affect them. Unless a common person raises its concern the government is not going to back down.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
paw339 said:
The problem is the only way anyone has come up with of trying to prevent dishonest individuals from cheating the system and prevent them from fraudulently obtaining citizenship ends up making life difficult for everyone else. I'm "unhappy" with the liars and cheats not the current government.

It's all too easy to criticise C-24 without proposing an alternative way of preventing abuse of the system. I certainly can't think of a way of a catching all the liars and cheats without inconveniencing all the honest immigrants who want to make Canada their home.

regards
This was discussed here million times. There is not a single paragraph in the projected bill C-24, which would prevent abuse of the system and fight with 'liars and cheats'. Otherwise, Conservatives would have to fight with themselves...

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Marypetty said:
Just for interest, I give below a section of an email I received from the Office of Mr. Tom Mulcair back in March.

"The NDP supports reforming the Citizenship Act, which has not been revised since 1977. We welcome the changes that include extending citizenship to “lost Canadians,” expediting the process for granting citizenship to permanent residents who are serving in the Canadian Armed Forces, establishing stricter rules for immigration consultants, and clarifying the period during which individuals must physically be in Canada before applying for citizenship, thereby clarifying the meaning of being a resident in the legislation."
Yep, let's kick the Cons out of the office, and then reform the Citizenship Act. BTW, even the Conservatives understand they need a few good parts in the bill to brag about.

2cookies

May 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Yes
O_Ca said:
Oh my Godness

If this bill became a law by end of the year; I will be just a couple of months short of my 1095 days.
We have to initiate a class action lawsuit against CIC if the new residency requirements implemented on existing PR's. We have invested our time & money to fulfill the residency requirements of the current law.

I hope that the Great Canadian people will kick this conservative government outside the office in 2015.
if someone apply before this bill is pass then no issue?
what the difference?

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2cookies said:
if someone apply before this bill is pass then no issue?
what the difference?
You can calculate your presence according to the current laws. However, you will still be affected by the 'intent to reside' clause (no one knows, what this one means). + don't forget that this bill introduces a 2-tier citizenship system (1st class citizens who were born Canadian, and 2nd class citizens, who didn't receive Canadian citizenship at birth).

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I really feel for those families where the father has no other option as a self respecting professional but to go overseas so he can support his wife, kids and pay the mortgage in Canada.

The Cons indirectly marginalize such people...there are not enough jobs...so would such families have to downgrade to "blue collar" at any cost?? Sad.....

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
paw339 said:

regards
Creating an efficient exit system would be a good start. The US already has that for non-citizens by air, and other commonwealth countries have been using such a system for almost a decade. You are here or you are not! It's not like if Canada had borders with 15 countries in the middle of a desert! ... there's only a US border for God's sake!

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
CTV News Clip from back in Feb 2014 when the Bill was first introduced

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=288636

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
taleodor said:
This was discussed here million times. There is not a single paragraph in the projected bill C-24, which would prevent abuse of the system and fight with 'liars and cheats'. Otherwise, Conservatives would have to fight with themselves...
Well, there is the clause that makes it mandatory to file taxes to apply for citizenship. That should make it harder for "cheaters" to fake being in Canada.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
taleodor said:
Yep, let's kick the Cons out of the office, and then reform the Citizenship Act. BTW, even the Conservatives understand they need a few good parts in the bill to brag about.
Everyone is "blaming" this on the Cons, but I don't see the Liberals objecting much. In fact, many Liberal MP's have publicly supported this bill.