+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
glowingheart said:
remember that they are saying it is unconstitutional the stripping of the citizenship to a canada born citizen not a immigrant and that's what Rocco and others are after not the whole law
There will ALWAYS be a distinction between those born here and those that became citizens. The latter will have to recite an oath which starts by pleading allegiance to the Queen of GB, whereas the former don't even know who the Queen is. Thus, if the latter break their oath, they could lose their citizenship, but not the former. Thus in Canada, unlike the US, there are already two distinguishable classes of citizens...

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Empirical-Scientist said:
There will ALWAYS be a distinction between those born here and those that became citizens. The latter will have to recite an oath which starts by pleading allegiance to the Queen of GB, whereas the former don't even know who the Queen is. Thus, if the latter break their oath, they could lose their citizenship, but not the former. Thus in Canada, unlike the US, there are already two distinguishable classes of citizens...
This is true, but I strongly suspect that the courts would throw out an attempt to advance proceedings against an immigrant for 'breaking allegiance to the Queen' -- Canada tries to play down the substantive effects of having a monarch, and keep the ceremonial ones. Somewhere way back in this thread someone brought up the idea of petitioning the Queen about C-24, and it was quickly pointed out that this would be totally and utterly hilarious (and useless).

For example, a naturalized citizen could bring a suit to the courts challenging royal part of the Oath of citizenship -- this would certainly be considered outside allegiance to the Queen -- but I think it is impossible that they would then be stripped of their citizenship.

pl840502

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glowingheart said:
if the intent to reside is a way to eliminate the citizenship to all of those who came to canada only to get a passport with no plans to live or work here and help the nation become stronger
also for those who just wanted to become Canadians cause they can get higher paying jobs as international workers
then I will support it 100%

cause all they were thinking is becoming Canadians not a part of Canada
sadly it's not a magic potion. there'll always be people intent to stay just to leech on the benefits and it'll also kick out people who wants to return to Canada at some point in life when they're more successful

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Yunem said:
Dear Surgi,
I got into a panic...

What do you suggest to us..?? On september, my contract will finish with the company where I work now. I decided to go back to Canada on 1 october.
Firstly I will go alone and after I set in my way (home, job..etc...) I will bring my wife and daughter back to Canada.

I really wonder that can we have any problem for entrance to Canada
or can we have any problem in future??

Notice: However we went before Bill C-24..Will this new bill/law effect us???
and We also have dual citizenship...

If you can give some information/suggest to us I will be appreciated

Best Regards,

Yunem If you are Canadian Citizens you are not going to have any problems returning to Canada.

Unfortunately there seems to be a number of individuals spreading alarmist rumours about travel restrictions on Canadian Citizens caused by C-24. The only restrictions are if you are a permanent resident, you can't apply for Citizenship unless you intend to reside in Canada. If you lie on your citizenship application then obviously you are at risk of having your citizenship removed and that has always been the case.

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"If you lie on your citizenship application then obviously you are at risk of having your citizenship removed and that has always been the case. "

The problem is, how can the gov know precisely if one has an "intention" to live in Canada or not when they apply for citizenship?

For example, one promised "intent" to live in Canada and obtained passport, then situation changed and he/she need to move to another country for a job offer that cant be missed. And he can still say that he has an intenion to live here in Canada, even when he is working in another country.
In fact, one can claim that he has an intention to live in Canada for the rest of his life, no matter where he lives physically. How is the gov going to tell if it is true or not?

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
paw339 said:
Yunem If you are Canadian Citizens you are not going to have any problems returning to Canada.

Unfortunately there seems to be a number of individuals spreading alarmist rumours about travel restrictions on Canadian Citizens caused by C-24. The only restrictions are if you are a permanent resident, you can't apply for Citizenship unless you intend to reside in Canada. If you lie on your citizenship application then obviously you are at risk of having your citizenship removed and that has always been the case.
my brother in law who is Canadian since 2001 went to work in China since one year. He came back to Canada 2 months ago. In airport strangely the officer started to ask him hundreds of questions about when he left? what he is doing? how many times he left Canada since he got citizenship? and many other stupid questions and he was patient for sometimes with him. Then he told him listen are these all questions a part of your job or you are doing this for fun.??!!!! he lost his temper finally another officer came and he threatened them to take legal steps against them but finally he left the airport. He is very upset because he does not know why they did that? N.B. my brother in law has a dark skin!!!!

hussinhamid

May 30, 2014
Guys

I just called the CIC and they have informed me that the new law specifically the (4 out of 6 years) clause and the( intent to reside in Canada) will be enforced starting June 2015 , they didn't tell exactly the day .

Kaplan

Aug 12, 2010
Dear Surgi:

With reference to Suncor Energy. Should I purchase the SU140627C00041500 call option, or the SU140627P00040000 put option? I want a definite response, not one based in theory! Oh, yes, do you do horoscopes?

People, kindly forgive any semblance of sarcasm on my part, but this chatroom has substantially deviated from the topic "Bill C-24 Second Reading.....", remember that pesky little critter?

It is surprising, indeed embarrassing to me as a human being, that people should be so ungracious and critical of Canada, much as if Canada had lured them here with misrepresentations, only to leave them stranded, without fare to return home.

As is the case with the rest, I came to Canada voluntarily. My preconceptions as to the fine quality of Canadian life have been well confirmed, and for that I remain most grateful. For those who may be less appreciative of Canada and its people of all religious and political affiliations, perhaps the government could arrange for your one-way ticket back whence you have come.

To those whom my criticism fits, how does one say "ingratitude" in your native language?

By the by, a representative at the call centre told me in French that the date of implementation of C-24 is 19 July 2015. Her response was immediate, with the assertive import of authority.

Thank you.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The child of natural-born or naturalized Canadian citizen is also a Canadian citizen, no matter where in the world he/she is born. (In most cases, this is only for the 1st generation born outside of Canada.)

Once a person has Canadian citizenship, either by birth or naturalization, that person can live or work anywhere in the world for an indefinite period of time. As the Charter of Rights states: "Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada." What is new in C-24 is that you have to state that it's your "intention" to make Canada your home in order to apply for citizenship.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
surgi said:
my brother in law who is Canadian since 2001 went to work in China since one year. He came back to Canada 2 months ago. In airport strangely the officer started to ask him hundreds of questions about when he left? what he is doing? how many times he left Canada since he got citizenship? and many other stupid questions and he was patient for sometimes with him. Then he told him listen are these all questions a part of your job or you are doing this for fun.??!!!! he lost his temper finally another officer came and he threatened them to take legal steps against them but finally he left the airport. He is very upset because he does not know why they did that? N.B. my brother in law has a dark skin!!!!
I get questioned at the airport all the time. It's just a method of cross checking I'm who I say I am and I'm not carrying any contraband. I don't get upset I just answer the questions. Was your brother in law a little nervous? That would certainly make the immigration officer suspicious? Perhaps you would rather allow anyone who presents a Canadian passport into the country even if its not theirs?

Marypetty

Apr 1, 2013
I get stopped and questioned every time I arrive in Canada - and I am English - white skin. It has nothing to do with the colour of your skin. Once I had to wait and be questioned over a two hour period before being let in. I have never committed any crime either.

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Kaplan said:
As is the case with the rest, I came to Canada voluntarily. My preconceptions as to the fine quality of Canadian life have been well confirmed, and for that I remain most grateful. For those who may be less appreciative of Canada and its people of all religious and political affiliations, perhaps the government could arrange for your one-way ticket back whence you have come.
Yes it is amazing how selfish and ungrateful some people are. One day I also hope to be a Canadian Citizen and I will be very grateful about this unlike some here.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
If someone said: "I intend to reside in Canada until I get citizenship, but I can't guarantee that I'll stay in Canada after getting citizenship"

Would that statement make him/her not eligible for Canadian citizenship ?

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
MasterGeek said:
If someone said: "I intend to reside in Canada until I get citizenship, but I can't guarantee that I'll stay in Canada after getting citizenship"

in my case I have no plans of living elsewhere but Canada but you can never say never

I was born in the US with British parents and Spanish grand parents Moved top Canada 7 years ago cause of a Job offer after a couple of years decided to apply for PR since I loved they country, the mix of cultures etc. I will apply for citizenship next February and have plans of living here the rest of my days but you can't never say never cause 10 years ago I had no plans of moving to Canada

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
MasterGeek said:

I believe it would make them ineligible, because the requirement, at least as Alexander stated it under questioning, is that the applicant intend to reside in Canada after receiving citizenship, and that this intent be maintained throughout the application process. In the example you give above, the intent to reside in Canada after receiving citizenship is not present during the application process.