04JUN2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21APR2015
Interview........
IP 09OCT2015
Hey all,

I applied for spousal permanent residency in May (outland) which is still in process, however I have been in Canada as a graduate student for the past year and a half. My current study permit indicates that I may work 20 hours per week while enrolled at my university, which I have been doing. As I near the end of my studies, however, and it increasingly appears that my PR will not be finished as soon as we'd hope, I have some questions:

I defend my thesis on December 17th. I will be submitting it to the library by December 24th, which will be my final degree requirement. My study permit expires January 31.

I intend to apply for a PGWP as soon as possible, but it seems I need to get a letter from the administration before I can, which might be complicated by holiday closures. I will attempt to get the documentation as soon as I possibly can, but I do not know how long it takes to get it from the university-- I assume it could take up to a week?

In the week between submitting my thesis and applying for the PGWP, am I still permitted to continue working at my current employer <20 hours, or must I cease working entirely until the PGWP application is submitted?

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. I would apply for bridge study permit :technically you renew your study permit until you have confirmation of graduation.
you have to have valid study permit to apply for PGWP.
if you cannot obtain a letter of confirmation by the time your study permit expired, you have to apply for new study permit then apply for pgwp which is more complicated.

2. your time frame is very tight due to holiday.
if you can receive a confirmation of graduation by mid of Jan then you can apply for PGWP (If everything works fine as you expect)

3. do not think you can continue work after your study permit expired.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob193.asp

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
In the week between submitting my thesis and applying for the PGWP, am I still permitted to continue working at my current employer <20 hours, or must I cease working entirely until the PGWP application is submitted?
well its a gray area but u cannot work as ur no longer a student and u havent applied for PGWP(not on implied status either) as yet but as soon as u apply for PGWP u can start working.

mrpotatohead

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05MAY2015
AOR Received.
04JUN2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21APR2015
Interview........
IP 09OCT2015
floomy said:
1. I would apply for bridge study permit :technically you renew your study permit until you have confirmation of graduation.
you have to have valid study permit to apply for PGWP.
if you cannot obtain a letter of confirmation by the time your study permit expired, you have to apply for new study permit then apply for pgwp which is more complicated.

2. your time frame is very tight due to holiday.
if you can receive a confirmation of graduation by mid of Jan then you can apply for PGWP (If everything works fine as you expect)

3. do not think you can continue work after your study permit expired.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob193.asp
I think you misunderstood what I wrote--

I am not worried about my study permit expiring. A bridging permit is not necessary. My current permit is valid until January 31. My permit WILL be valid by the time I apply for PGWP.

I am just asking when exactly I'm no longer "enrolled." I can't get my letter until maybe a week or week and a half after my thesis has been submitted to the library, so I can't apply for the PGWP until that point. While I'm in that grey zone, am I still able to work for less than 20 hours, or do I need to cease until I've put out the PGWP application?

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
found this

Transition from Off-Campus Work Permits to Post-Graduation Work Permits

Students can apply for a post-graduation work permit—a one-time opportunity—during the 90-day transition period on completion of their academic program if they fulfill all of the requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Since the validity period of an off-campus work permit is usually the same as the student’s study period (the duration of the academic program plus 90 days), they do not have to surrender their off-campus work permit to apply. They can continue to work under the Off-Campus Work Permit provided that they hold both a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit. Employment during this transition period can be full time.

Jasmohra

Jan 10, 2013
mrpotatohead said:
I think you misunderstood what I wrote--

I am not worried about my study permit expiring. A bridging permit is not necessary. My current permit is valid until January 31. My permit WILL be valid by the time I apply for PGWP.

I am just asking when exactly I'm no longer "enrolled." I can't get my letter until maybe a week or week and a half after my thesis has been submitted to the library, so I can't apply for the PGWP until that point. While I'm in that grey zone, am I still able to work for less than 20 hours, or do I need to cease until I've put out the PGWP application?
So you still would have a valid study permit, though you would be done with thesis and would not have applied for PGWP yet. Your study permit is your part time work permit as well. I do not see why you have to cease working. I did not at least. I finished in May. had the study permit valid until August, applied for PGWP in July and worked as I was before.

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Hey I had a similar query, I posted in the foreign workers section too. I feel we cannot work before we apply for PGWP, if we have completed our studies and even though we have a valid study permit. Quoting:

"Effective from June 1, 2014, international students who would like to work full-time without a work permit after the completion of their studies must first submit an application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (before the expiry of their Study Permit). You will then be allowed to start full-time work while you are waiting for Citizenship and Immigration Canada to issue a decision on your Post-Graduation Work Permit application. For more information, please see Regulation 186(w)."

It says for students without a work permit, does this mean without a [actual] work permit or without a Off-Campus Work Permit?

Source:
http://www.uwo.ca/international/iesc/visas/working/postgraduation.html

Can any of these members/seniors share their experience please? I don't want to take an unnecessary risk.

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
The same link also states as follows:

Transition from off-Campus Work Permits to Post-Graduation Work Permits

“Students can apply for a post-graduation work permit—a one-time opportunity—during the 90-day transition period on completion of their academic program if they fulfill all of the requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Since the validity period of an off-campus work permit is usually the same as the student’s study period (the duration of the academic program plus 90 days), they do not have to surrender their off-campus work permit to apply. They can continue to work under the Off-Campus Work Permit provided that they hold both a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit. Employment during this transition period can be full time.”

Link: http://www.uwo.ca/international/iesc/visas/working/postgraduation.html

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So this implies that unless you have applied for a PGWP you cannot work simply off the back of a study permit with the off campus work part once you are no longer a full time student. Once you have applied for a PGWP you move to implied status pending a decision and can work full time but must have a PGWP in process to do that.

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Thank you for the reply. I agree, this is what I get from it as well. No work after graduation and before applying for PGWP.