+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to Travel within Canada ?

baronorkid

Jul 3, 2012
Hey everybody,

We are planning on landing in Toronto next month. Since we were accepted through the QIIP program, we are expected to travel to Montreal to get all of our paperwork and post-landing formalities done. After taking care of all of these things, we'll be heading down to London, On to stay with friends.Since we are a family of 5 with a quite a lot of luggage, what is the most economical/ efficient way for us to travel ?

I've been looking into public transport such as buses and rail Canada but with the cost of Taxis to and from these stations, this seems to be the more expensive option. So, I am now considering renting a car for about 2 weeks. However, I am not sure how easy it will be to rent a car on an international licence and what kind of parking cost I will be expected to bear. Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Kolkata_27

Jun 20, 2011
Gujarat, India.
Category........
Visa Office......
[color=blue][b]N[/b]ew [b]D[/b]elhi[/color]
NOC Code......
[color=blue][b]1122[/b][/color]
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
[b]SEP/2010[/b]
AOR Received.
[color=blue][b]PER - JAN/2011[/b][/color]
Med's Request
[b][color=blue]Ecas -- in process with date (x-dec-2011) [color=brown]Off ...[color=green]ON without address... [color=red]Off again... [color=green] On again as it was[/color][/b]
AUTOSHARE for TORONTO
just google it
http://autoshare.com/

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

baronorkid

Jul 3, 2012
Kolkata_27 said:
AUTOSHARE for TORONTO
just google it
http://autoshare.com/

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
umm, autoshare wont work because we'll need the car for days at a time instead of hours !

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
baronorkid said:
Hey everybody,

We are planning on landing in Toronto next month. Since we were accepted through the QIIP program, we are expected to travel to Montreal to get all of our paperwork and post-landing formalities done. After taking care of all of these things, we'll be heading down to London, On to stay with friends.Since we are a family of 5 with a quite a lot of luggage, what is the most economical/ efficient way for us to travel ?

I've been looking into public transport such as buses and rail Canada but with the cost of Taxis to and from these stations, this seems to be the more expensive option. So, I am now considering renting a car for about 2 weeks. However, I am not sure how easy it will be to rent a car on an international licence and what kind of parking cost I will be expected to bear. Any ideas ?

Thanks !
Maybe consider storing your luggage in Toronto, rather than travelling to Montreal with all of it? If you just travel with the necessities to Montreal, you can use public transit to the stations / the express buses between Toronto/Montreal (about 6 hours I think).

With regards to a rental, you can rent with an international licence, but it can be expensive if you take the loss damage waiver insurance (usually around $20 a day on top of the rental). Otherwise you are liable for most damages (including parking lot scratches) to the rental.

Kolkata_27

Jun 20, 2011
Gujarat, India.
Category........
Visa Office......
[color=blue][b]N[/b]ew [b]D[/b]elhi[/color]
NOC Code......
[color=blue][b]1122[/b][/color]
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
[b]SEP/2010[/b]
AOR Received.
[color=blue][b]PER - JAN/2011[/b][/color]
Med's Request
[b][color=blue]Ecas -- in process with date (x-dec-2011) [color=brown]Off ...[color=green]ON without address... [color=red]Off again... [color=green] On again as it was[/color][/b]
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/aos/3144681393.html

Keden

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 24, 2013
AOR Received.
Apr 9, 2013
Med's Request
Apr 15, 2013
Med's Done....
Apr 18, 2013
Passport Req..
Feb 27, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 27, 2014
LANDED..........
May 20, 2014
Hello Baranorkid,

I think the suggestion from Seton is very good. If your trip to Montreal will be short, leave your luggage in your hotel or storage in Toronto and take the Megabus to Montreal. It is very cheap! The earlier you buy your ticket the cheaper it is.

The next best alternative would be to rent a car. My parents are foreign and have had no problem renting a car with their international licenses when they came to visit.

Good luck. :)

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
Megabus is probably the cheapest option if you book ahead. Seton has a good point about renting

baronorkid

Jul 3, 2012
Thanks guys, I am leaning towards mega bus right now !
Might end renting if the family isn't too keen on the bus.

Thanks once again !

veradis

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-11
AOR Received.
08-11-11
File Transfer...
20-11-11
Interview........
23-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-02-2012
LANDED..........
18-08-12
It probably wouldn't work for a whole family but for individuals looking for cheap travel, you can sign up for SQM's travel 'mystery shopper' program. I'm signed up but haven't tried it yet...but I have a friend who does it quite often to fly to Europe and Asia. I think anyone can sign up and apply for a flight/train/bus/hotel trip and then you fill out an evaluation at the end and they refund you 50%. They just added Megabus and Coach Canada to the program so could be good.
http://www.evaluateitbysqm.com/EvaluateIt/

(I know this kind of sounds like I work for the company and am promoting it but I don't, honestly, I just think it's a pretty cool cheap travel secret that might be helpful!)

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
I forgot to mention, I am with Zipcar (car rental) which offers 200KM for 80$ with gas and insurance, let me know if you are interested and as a member I can give you free diriving credits for signing up

www.zipcar.com

baronorkid

Jul 3, 2012
Looks like we'll be renting because of the convenience that having a car provides.
I am not looking to sign up for Zipcar just yet but someone on here can hook me up with rental car discounts.
That would be awesome !