+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way for American to Immigrate to BC?

jenni_usa

Jun 23, 2009
Hi - we were contemplating relocating to BC last year (husband is healthcare prof & was interviewing for jobs) - however, we decided not to do it at that time due our our house not selling. We just put our house back on the market and may have a potential buyer and now again we need to decide if we should try the relocation process again. What we found is that it seems like BC employers (particularly the hospitals) really want you to already be living there before they make an offer of employment and we couldn't really afford to have my husband traveling back and forth for interviews that may not pan out. So, we are thinking it may be best if we just "move" up there either as visitors so that my husband can look for a job or we were thinking of perhaps going on a student visa (both of us do already have masters degrees in our fields, but my husband was thinking of either getting a PhD or I was thinking of getting an additional master's degree related to my field).

The thing that I worry about if we decide to first go up as visitors and seek jobs after the fact, is that we cannot move all of our household stuff and would need to put everything in storage until we get jobs to get work permits. Not sure about the student visa thing...perhaps it is easy to move your household items with a student visa?

Just looking for some insight as to what would be the fastest/easiest way to relocate to BC as Americans? We do not want to apply for perm residents through the skilled worker program (even though we qualify) because it seems like that takes up to a couple of years. I feel like the fastest way is to just get jobs, but maybe the student visa way is faster and easier? Thoughts?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Go up as visitors and either interview for jobs or look for a university. If your husband fits the criteria for NAFTA visa, it will make it a lot easier to get work permits, see http://www.canadavisa.com/nafta-temporary-work-permit-canada.html

If one of you is either on a skilled work permit or a student visa, he other can get an open spousal work permit, apply at the border on entry and get it instantly. Then you can move up with all your stuff. You can apply for permanent residency once you are in Canada, either through skilled worker or PNP.