+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best time to plan for a pregnancy

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
I was wondering what is the best time to plan for pregnancy keeping in mind that both parents have pr but no medical insurance coverage yet,thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
These are crazy suggestions seeing the OP previous posts. You should plan for a pregnancy once you have established yourself in a decent job and your wife has been able to work before she gets pregnant. It is hard enough to move to Canada as an unlicensed dentist. Why make your life harder? My answer would be either after you get licensed to become a dentist in Canada or after you both have decent employment in Canada for 6 months and good stable housing that can accommodate a baby. Medical care is such a small fraction of the issue. I would wait until you have heath coverage and you have at least found a GP before getting pregnant which can be a challenge. Lots of things can happen in the first 4 weeks of pregnancy that can lead to a hospital visit so don't agree with the 30 days before you get coverage. OP posts have all about how to survive on a smaller budget in Canada until he gets his dentistry qualifications so I don't get this plan.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Cant she be pregnant while waiting for eh medical insurance?like during the 3 months of waiting for insurance?will the insurance cover the expenses if pregnancy occured before having the medical insurance?
Seriously, why would you even think to risk that?? What if she had early complications or a miscarriage requiring hospitalization before coverage kicked in?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seriously, why would you even think to risk that?? What if she had early complications or a miscarriage requiring hospitalization before coverage kicked in?
Some women end up in hospital for weeks on TPN with hyperemesis. That would be a very expensive bill. Ectopic pregnancy would result in surgery. Miscarriage is so common and may require a D&C. Guessing she is already pregnant by the question.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
These are crazy suggestions seeing the OP previous posts. You should plan for a pregnancy once you have established yourself in a decent job and your wife has been able to work before she gets pregnant. It is hard enough to move to Canada as an unlicensed dentist. Why make your life harder? My answer would be either after you get licensed to become a dentist in Canada or after you both have decent employment in Canada for 6 months and good stable housing that can accommodate a baby. Medical care is such a small fraction of the issue. I would wait until you have heath coverage and you have at least found a GP before getting pregnant which can be a challenge. Lots of things can happen in the first 4 weeks of pregnancy that can lead to a hospital visit so don't agree with the 30 days before you get coverage. OP posts have all about how to survive on a smaller budget in Canada until he gets his dentistry qualifications so I don't get this plan.
Wanted to ask about private insurance does it cover pregnancy or not?and any idea about how hard it is to get pr for a new born if delivery is abroad?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wanted to ask about private insurance does it cover pregnancy or not?and any idea about how hard it is to get pr for a new born if delivery is abroad?
Usually not but I have hear that there may be some policies that cover emergencies during the 1st or 2nd trimester. Not sure how expensive those policies are. You will have to pay out of pocket for routine care until you receive OHIP. One parent must be In Canada to sponsor child for PR and they must be compliant with their RO.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes,many even get pregnant before they land,its not like no one did it before but in my case am trying to plan properly and thats why i asked
Many also don't realize they won't have healthcare and wives will likely not get maternity benefits because they will not be able to work long enough qualify. You are looking to requalify as a dentist have not found employment and perhaps housing. Why add extra stress to your life. What if you have trouble finding a decent job for 6+ months? If trying to plan properly wouldn't finding a job and permanent housing be the bare minimum things to do before getting pregnant?

Reactions: Wolverine17

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Many also don't realize they won't have healthcare and wives will likely not get maternity benefits because they will not be able to work long enough qualify. You are looking to requalify as a dentist have not found employment and perhaps housing. Why add extra stress to your life. What if you have trouble finding a decent job for 6+ months? If trying to plan properly wouldn't finding a job and permanent housing be the bare minimum things to do before getting pregnant?
True,am trying to be optimistic,hopefully everything will be fine