+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best time to move to Canada

HappyLucky

May 28, 2015
Hi seniors

I would appreciate it of you could advice me on this matter because I really need it and . I am completely confused because I have quit my job and I just finished all pre-departure and also unfinished works:

which time is best to move to Canada in terms of finding a job and smoothly settling down

(my immigration visa will expire in March)

I want to spend a week in Toronto and then move to Vancouver, to make better decision on selecting the city to settle down.coz I can't stand cold weather, still I don't wanna lose job opportunities in Toronto just because of coldness( I am an IT woman)

1- land in Toronto before high season (like Dec 10) and on Dec15 move to Vancouver (I can enjoy holiday and buy primary stuff for home in sales maybe I get a temporary job for holiday season)

2-land in Toronto AFTER high season ( Jan 15) and spend a week in Toronto and then move to Vancouver

PS: I have heard if I land in Dec I have to file tax of 2015, that way I may be eligible for financial Aids and etc for the next year, is that a plus point or not?

krishnalynn

May 15, 2015
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-12-2015
File Transfer...
08-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 15-04-2016
Mid to late December will likely be too late for a holiday job. They are already training holiday seasonal workers now. It's up to you whether you want to spend Christmas in Canada or not. Keep in mind travel and airports will be much more expensive and hectic around this time. Personally, I would go after because the amount of money you'd save for going to Boxing Day sales is probably negated by the extra airfare you will pay.

As far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but if you don't work in December in Canada, you won't have to file taxes for 2015. Even if you did work a few weeks, they take into account your world income when receiving benefits like GST. So if you made a good amount in your home country, you still may not qualify as lower income here in Canada.

It's definitely smart to visit the cities you want to go before you move! I'm not sure where you're from, but the cold was a bit of an adjustment for me (moved from Southern California to Alberta) but it's totally doable with the right warm clothes and cozy house to come home to at the end of the day :)

HappyLucky

May 28, 2015
krishnalynn said:
Mid to late December will likely be too late for a holiday job. They are already training holiday seasonal workers now. It's up to you whether you want to spend Christmas in Canada or not. Keep in mind travel and airports will be much more expensive and hectic around this time. Personally, I would go after because the amount of money you'd save for going to Boxing Day sales is probably negated by the extra airfare you will pay.

As far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but if you don't work in December in Canada, you won't have to file taxes for 2015. Even if you did work a few weeks, they take into account your world income when receiving benefits like GST. So if you made a good amount in your home country, you still may not qualify as lower income here in Canada.

It's definitely smart to visit the cities you want to go before you move! I'm not sure where you're from, but the cold was a bit of an adjustment for me (moved from Southern California to Alberta) but it's totally doable with the right warm clothes and cozy house to come home to at the end of the day :)
Thank you for your infrmation

Actually if I fly before Dec15 the fare won't be that much high, but yet renting a valuable room is not that simple, I do like to spend Christmas in Canada, but afraid of spending my money for holiday stuff! and my time for fun!
but some ppl say :sooner you land, sooner you can adjust yourself with the new country and get ready for hiring months from Mrch!
it is just 1 month difference between my 2 option and makes me stressful!

I come from middle east, and its getting cold,

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As already said, it's too late to get a temporary job for the holiday season.

Also, many companies function at a slower pace during the Christmas - New Year period (staff on leave, etc), so not really a good time to job hunt.

I'd add that a week in a new city, in a new country, is no time at all to find out about job opportunities & decide whether you might like the city or not. By the time you've landed, started to get over the jetlag, visited a bit of the city, it would be time to pack up again.

I don't think landing in December or January will make any significant difference (apart from airfares, possibly).

Personally, I'd choose either Toronto or Vancouver, & unless you just treat the week in Toronto as a vacation, I'd commit to spending at least a few months in which ever one you choose as far as job hunting goes. You could always move to the other after that.

What benefits/financial aids do you think you might get by landing in December & filing taxes in Canada for 2015?

NILESHRM

Star Member
May 12, 2015
ahmedabad, india
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw/New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-03-2015
Med's Request
11-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015
Interview........
TLU 03-06-2015
Passport Req..
DM 10-08-2015 PPR 11-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2015
LANDED..........
Planned Feb 2016
consider all the factors before you move.

being in IT profession, hiring nearly stops in Xmas season and then January and Feb are very cold with snow.

also IT has many jobs in Toronto compared to Van, BC. Also, Van, BC is costly compared to Toronto

I am too planning to land in late Feb in Toronto then try to find a job.

Reactions: manutheguy

HappyLucky

May 28, 2015
Thank you for your replies

Actually I have heard if I fill tax, as my salary in my county was inconsiderable compared to Canadian salaries, that way I may be eligible for tax reduction in 2016 ,

although job vacancies are considerably more in Toronto, job seekers are also several times more than in Van,BC.

Jan, Feb are both really cold in Dec, so the earlier we land, may be helpful to get used to the new life

Guys do you know a reliable reference informing and comparing different demanding careers in different Canadian cities?

krazykm

Star Member
Dec 1, 2015
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-04-2017
Passport Req..
04-10-2017
NILESHRM said:
consider all the factors before you move.

being in IT profession, hiring nearly stops in Xmas season and then January and Feb are very cold with snow.

also IT has many jobs in Toronto compared to Van, BC. Also, Van, BC is costly compared to Toronto

I am too planning to land in late Feb in Toronto then try to find a job.
Hi,

I noticed your NOC is 2172. May I know your job title? I am a Qlikview developer.

shimmer89

Mar 6, 2019
India
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Hello All,

I just received my PPR mail and from following other conversations on the forum i believe it will take about a month or so to get passport stamped and copr.
what i wanted to know was by when should I arrive in Canada. As in what is the scope of employment in the middle of the year.
Is late may or early June an ok time.

A few details pertaining to above:

My medicals were completed in late August 2018
I am planning to go to Surrey (i have a friend who is settled there so have a place for a few days)

I'd really appreciate any incite i can get

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello All,

I just received my PPR mail and from following other conversations on the forum i believe it will take about a month or so to get passport stamped and copr.
what i wanted to know was by when should I arrive in Canada. As in what is the scope of employment in the middle of the year.
Is late may or early June an ok time.

A few details pertaining to above:

My medicals were completed in late August 2018
I am planning to go to Surrey (i have a friend who is settled there so have a place for a few days)

I'd really appreciate any incite i can get

Unless you have some highly sought after skills (say you worked for Google in the US), you should plan for at least 6-8 months, maybe more, of unemployment.

It takes a while to get used to the country and jobs can be hard to get. Temper your expectations accordingly and make sure you have funds to sustain yourself.

What kind of job are you looking for?