+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best route from Studying to PR?

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
We want to bring my brother in law here so that he can eventually get PR and stay in Canada. He just graduated from a 4 year bachelors IT program in Philippines. I assume he would have to come here for something related. Also one issue is that his English is not the best but passible as he completed a 4 year course in English... so I was looking at Seneca College as they do not require IELTS.

From what I read this is the way we should do it.

Apply Project Management – Information Technology Graduate Course (1 year)
Apply for study permit
Do the year program
Apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit
Get 1 year experience (which is the hard part)
apply for PR

What am I missing? Of course I left all my above point very broad. What are the issues that we would be facing assuming we have all the funds to get him here, $10k for the GIC, tuition etc.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We want to bring my brother in law here so that he can eventually get PR and stay in Canada. He just graduated from a 4 year bachelors IT program in Philippines. I assume he would have to come here for something related. Also one issue is that his English is not the best but passible as he completed a 4 year course in English... so I was looking at Seneca College as they do not require IELTS.

Apply for study permit
Do the year program
apply for PR

What am I missing? Of course I left all my above point very broad. What are the issues that we would be facing assuming we have all the funds to get him here, $10k for the GIC, tuition etc.
Bad plan.

He should take a 2 year program so that he qualifies for a 3 year PGWP.

People who come here on just a 1 year program often have trouble getting a full year of skilled work experience and trouble getting PR with just a 1 year PGWP.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
As @scylla suggested, go for a 2-year program. A 1 year PGWP is just too short and nearly impossible toget the minimum 1 year experience under the CEC category (unless your brother in law can find a job immediately after graduation and while on implied status after applying for PGWP).

Also, I would suggest to take IELTS and apply under SDS. CEVAS Philippines is a great review center with multiple branches in Metro Manila.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
we have a family friend that can hire him when he is almost done his schooling. say he gets hired there part time a few months before he ends his course, then starts full time for a year, would he then get his 1 year experience?

so if I understand correctly, if he takes a 1 year course, he will get 1 year PGWP and if he takes a 2 year course he will get a 3 year PGWP?

The biggest issue is that we are shouldering the entire cost of this and we cannot afford a 2 year course as that will be $20k++

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
we have a family friend that can hire him when he is almost done his schooling. say he gets hired there part time a few months before he ends his course, then starts full time for a year, would he then get his 1 year experience?

so if I understand correctly, if he takes a 1 year course, he will get 1 year PGWP and if he takes a 2 year course he will get a 3 year PGWP?

The biggest issue is that we are shouldering the entire cost of this and we cannot afford a 2 year course as that will be $20k++
The tricky part is the condition in permits. There is always a condition that says “must leave Canada by (expiration date of permit), be it SP or WP. Unless the employer is also willing to spend a thousand dollars and apply for LAMIA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

IMO, it's still very risky.

Sometimes things don't play out as planned and a 1 year PGWP will leave him really short on time.

Yes, 1 year program = 1 year PGWP. 2 year+ program = 3 year PGWP.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Thanks for the responses.

so to get this straight, say he does just the 1 year. He would need to apply for the PGWP at what point? when he completes his course or before? If he applies then he would have implied status. In that time if he starts his job at the employer then by the time the PGWP comes in and he completes the year plus the implied time, wouldnt that be enough for him to apply for PR?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018

so to get this straight, say he does just the 1 year. He would need to apply for the PGWP at what point? when he completes his course or before? If he applies then he would have implied status. In that time if he starts his job at the employer then by the time the PGWP comes in and he completes the year plus the implied time, wouldnt that be enough for him to apply for PR?
AFAIK, time during implied status don’t count...

Reactions: joeythecat

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Depends on what the scores are at that time and how the programs work. IRCC shifts up the programs every few years or so.

Ultimately you call.

1 year program = high risk / lower chances of PR

2 year program = lower risk / higher chances of PR

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
are there any options in ontario for cheaper studies that are valid for PR? even at 1 year $20k is so much to spend. how are international student getting the money for this?? are there loans or something he can get to cover the costs for this?

Last edited:

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
are there any options in ontario for cheaper studies that are valid for PR? even at 1 year $20k is so much to spend. how are international student getting the money for this?? are there loans or something he can get to cover the costs for this?
Unfortunately, study permit is probably the most expensive route in getting a permanent residency. Fund availability is one of the highly scrutinised aspect of a study permit application. It is always suggested that applicants show enough available funds that will cover not just tuition but living expenses for the duration of study as well. The privilege of working part time is just a bonus to allow the students to earn part of their living expenses. Average cost of an Ontario college is about CAD$15k a year for international students.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Loans are often available but those loans have to be obtained from the applicant's home country. Loans are not available to international students from banks in Canada.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

Apply for study permit
Do the year program
apply for PR

With a 4 year Bachelor's degree in IT, pursing a project management college PGD will give little chance of study permit approval, especially since he doesn't have any previous work experience.

He will do better applying to a university for a Master's degree. If he is open to research-route, he might even be able to get some tuition scholarship or bursary depending on his GPA.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Hello, I was talking to my wife and we are looking at enrolling him into a 2 year course at seneca college or centennial college (no way we can afford university) and also the colleges dont require an ielts test, just proof that he went 2 or more years to a english speaking university (which he completed 4 years).

This is what he went to university for, what 2 year course should we be looking at?

Bachelor of Science and Information Technology
• Major in Network Analysis and Design

I was talking to a friend and they said that we can somehow show the funds for him, is this true? Also what else do we need to consider money wise? He has a philippines account with money in it that he can transfer when he gets here, but only a few thousand dollars.

Also, what happens if we pay for the college tuition and then the visa somehow gets denied, can we get the money back from the college? He came here before on a visitor visa, but this is something way more important.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I was talking to my wife and we are looking at enrolling him into a 2 year course at seneca college or centennial college (no way we can afford university) and also the colleges dont require an ielts test, just proof that he went 2 or more years to a english speaking university (which he completed 4 years).

This is what he went to university for, what 2 year course should we be looking at?

Bachelor of Science and Information Technology
• Major in Network Analysis and Design

I was talking to a friend and they said that we can somehow show the funds for him, is this true? Also what else do we need to consider money wise? He has a philippines account with money in it that he can transfer when he gets here, but only a few thousand dollars.
Even though the college doesn’t ask for IELTS, it is best to include them. As for money he has to show a minimum of $10 along with payment of first year tuition.