+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

best place to stay for job seekers?

MortyC137

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
My first 2 months in Canada will be focused on finding a job.
I expect to be interviewed over Zoom/Skype, so I don't need to be physically close to my interviewers.
Where do you suggest I stay for 2 months?

I'm ruling out city centers because I cannot afford it.
But I shouldn't stay somewhere too remote either. I still need:
  • a choice of airbnbs or any other affordable accommodation deals ;
  • a good Internet connection ;
  • grocery store(s) at a walking distance ;
  • opening a bank account, getting a SIM card, printing/scanning documents at a printing shop, and a few other things that I need to do after landing ;
  • going to the city every now and then to find an apartment.

thanks! :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I expect to be interviewed over Zoom/Skype, so I don't need to be physically close to my interviewers.

• opening a bank account, getting a SIM card, printing/scanning documents at a printing shop, and a few other things that I need to do after landing ;

Canada is a very big country. That is like asking me, “Do you know Jim in Edmonton“ and I live in Halifax. Where are you landing or hope to live? Pick a town outside that city. The issue with smaller towns is that there may be few rentals. Also why do you expect interviews over zoom/skype…more interviews are being held in person as Covid restrictions lift and people return to the office. Why haven’t you been applying before you move (since assume you are PR) so you have some idea of the job market and have some interviews.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Without knowing part of the country or which 'city' is the eventual target, pretty hard to say much useful. If it's a large city in question, suburbs.

But from a slightly different angle for a suggestion: pick a mid-sized city that has a university. It'll have a lot of facilities for students, more people using public transit (less car depdendency if you're careful about location), more availability of short-term accommodation at reasonable prices, and a large population of internet-reliant inhabitants (wifi almost everywhere).

This depends on province of course but in Ontario, tons of options (for example).

Reactions: MortyC137

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Without knowing part of the country or which 'city' is the eventual target, pretty hard to say much useful. If it's a large city in question, suburbs.

But from a slightly different angle for a suggestion: pick a mid-sized city that has a university. It'll have a lot of facilities for students, more people using public transit (less car depdendency if you're careful about location), more availability of short-term accommodation at reasonable prices, and a large population of internet-reliant inhabitants (wifi almost everywhere).

This depends on province of course but in Ontario, tons of options (for example).
Agree and it also depends on the OP’s profession. If in tech then the Waterloo-KW (Southwestern Ontario) area may be an option.

MortyC137

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
Thank you for your replies.

Canada is a very big country. That is like asking me, “Do you know Jim in Edmonton“ and I live in Halifax.
That's an odd comparison. I'm not asking you about places that you don't know. I'm just curious about people's experience and any insight they may have regarding the towns and cities they have been to.
Canada is not a "very big country" in terms of urban areas. Obviously I'm not going to fly from Vancouver to Toronto for apartment viewing, but it's the same problem in any country larger than Ireland.

Also why do you expect interviews over zoom/skype…more interviews are being held in person as Covid restrictions lift and people return to the office.
Good to know.

Where are you landing or hope to live?
Wherever I can find a job, except Quebec. From what I can tell, most tech jobs are in Ontario and BC. I'm willing to land somewhere else if the pros outweigh the cons, especially when it comes to accommodation.

Why haven’t you been applying before you move (since assume you are PR) so you have some idea of the job market and have some interviews.
I have been applying. I am unemployed and I have to pay rent in my home country anyway, so I might as well hunt for jobs in a more suitable time zone with a Canadian phone number and immediate availability.

Good advice. Thank you!

Reactions: jakklondon

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

My advice:

- Pick a location close to the city where you expect to be working / where there are a lot of jobs in your industry. Some companies have returned to office and in certain cases interviews are in fact happening in person. Not all jobs are now remote.
- If you don't plan to have a car, find a place that's on public transit lines.
- Even if you have a car, watch out for places that are too remote / too far in the country. Internet access can suck out there and you may find there's not enough bandwidth to properly run a Zoom call / work remotely.

First step is to identify the primary city you want to be near based on your occupation and which cities have a sufficient concentration of roles in this field.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Wherever I can find a job, except Quebec. From what I can tell, most tech jobs are in Ontario and BC. I'm willing to land somewhere else if the pros outweigh the cons, especially when it comes to accommodation.
If it's tech, then any of the mid-sized cities with universities within a few hours of Toronto (if you don't want to actually be in Toronto) should be good enough and with tech jobs and stuff nearby, good support networks.

Kitchener-Waterloo is a tech world in itself, but Guelph, London, Peterborough, Hamilton would all fit the description; Ottawa or Kingston in some respects too but further from the Toronto Gravity Well.

Apparently there are now some built-up cities where the roads are not made of logs in British Columbia, too, but I don't know them as well.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021

Questions to consider: What is your specialty? What field you will be looking into for jobs?
How much money do you plan to spend in 2 months?

From what I know, Toronto is one of the popular , very busy hubs. You could stay in GTA, out of the city, in Mississauga or Brampton, with Mississauga being more affordable, and look for places to rent/stay around long term. But the rental prices lately are so high, I don't know if you can afford to stay there.

Depending on your skills/specialty/field, you could move to other parts of Canada where you have relatively good chance to find a job matching your skills. Be prepared to work in survival jobs, only to pay rent and living expenses, while you build your network and hopefully you will move up some day. It may take a year or years, especially if you don't have established relatives/connections.

Last edited:

MortyC137

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
Kitchener-Waterloo is a tech world in itself, but Guelph, London, Peterborough, Hamilton would all fit the description; Ottawa or Kingston in some respects too but further from the Toronto Gravity Well.
Thanks. I will search in these areas.

Questions to consider: What is your specialty? What field you will be looking into for jobs?
Data engineering and data science. I do both and I'm actually not highly specialized in one or the other.

How much money do you plan to spend in 2 months?
About $650 - $850 / month for the rent. I'm okay with shared apartments too. I'm not too concerned about other expenses.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021

Data engineering and data science. I do both and I'm actually not highly specialized in one or the other.

About $650 - $850 / month for the rent. I'm okay with shared apartments too. I'm not too concerned about other expenses.
You should be able to find an apartment in that price range if you share it with one or two others, even if you go to GTA. But before you decide where you go, do some research and ask around people you know, where is it more likely to land a job in your specialty in the least possible amount of time. Also, Canada is notorious for "networking", and if you know anyone who works in your field and can vouch for you, it would be an advantage. A lot of Canadian companies hire by direct reference from someone they know.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Depending on the time of year you may be able to find a sublet for a short period of time. Would suggest applying for jobs throughout Canada or at least throughout a province. Until you secure a job I would not sign a longterm lease (1year). Is there a reason you are not searching in Quebec? Quebec, especially greater Montreal, is one of the locations with many of the AI and data science jobs. French is required for most tech jobs. A large portion of the tech employers are located in Kitchener Waterloo, GTA, Ottawa and Montreal. If you are considering Montreal, Ottawa or the GTA would provide opportunities to explore job opportunities in all of these locations. Most Canadian employers like to have in person interviews to determine whether a person will fit into the work place culture. Covid has changed things but if there is an opportunity to meet in person most employers will want to meet someone in person before offering them a professional position. Initial interviews will likely be online.

MortyC137

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
Depending on the time of year you may be able to find a sublet for a short period of time. Would suggest applying for jobs throughout Canada or at least throughout a province. Until you secure a job I would not sign a longterm lease (1year). Is there a reason you are not searching in Quebec? Quebec, especially greater Montreal, is one of the locations with many of the AI and data science jobs. French is required for most tech jobs. A large portion of the tech employers are located in Kitchener Waterloo, GTA, Ottawa and Montreal. If you are considering Montreal, Ottawa or the GTA would provide opportunities to explore job opportunities in all of these locations. Most Canadian employers like to have in person interviews to determine whether a person will fit into the work place culture. Covid has changed things but if there is an opportunity to meet in person most employers will want to meet someone in person before offering them a professional position. Initial interviews will likely be online.
I speak French natively but my significant other doesn't, and I don't think she can legally work in Quebec without passing some difficult exams to get a Quebec licence.
But I will definitely apply for Quebec-based companies that also have offices outside of Quebec or are okay with 90% - 100% remote work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I speak French natively but my significant other doesn't, and I don't think she can legally work in Quebec without passing some difficult exams to get a Quebec licence.
But I will definitely apply for Quebec-based companies that also have offices outside of Quebec or are okay with 90% - 100% remote work.
What type of work does she do?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012

I would recommend the GTA east end (Durham Region - Pickering, Ajax, Whitby and Oshawa) its ratively cheaper than Toronto for accomodation and is also well connected to the downtown core via frequent Go train service.

MortyC137

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
Sorry for the late reply.

What type of work does she do?
She's a healthcare professional. Not the kind in high demand in Canada though.

I would recommend the GTA east end (Durham Region - Pickering, Ajax, Whitby and Oshawa) its ratively cheaper than Toronto for accomodation and is also well connected to the downtown core via frequent Go train service.
Thanks for the advice!

Anybody wants to chime in with their experience in BC?