+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best course of action for me (US citizen wanting to stay in Canada)

FHRocker

Mar 22, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
10-09-2010
I am looking to go to Canada in June and wanted to stay the maximum 180 days but obviously I'd like to make that a PR or extend that date. I will be staying with my boyfriend of two years while I am in Canada. Since our two countries are so alike I am horribly confused as to why this seems like such an in depth process :(

I simply want to be with my boyfriend as we intend to marry but obviously cannot at this time.

craig53

Feb 1, 2006
Standard misconception by Americans is just that-- we're so similar, why such a process? Similar yes but ya gotta remember these are two ENTIRELY separate countries(and to the vast majority of Canadians this is a huge important point!) There's no simple way of just staying-- the process is quite involved-- doesn't mean however you shouldn't do it. Be prepared to spend some money and a serious length of time at it-- it will be worth it. My thoughts are specifically two-- get a consultation with an immigration attorney AFTER you've tried the immigration test here on the site-- should be a couple hundred bucks or so; then also watch this site for tips-- a person on here who goes by PMM is very helpful as are many others. Good luck!

Magik

Mar 29, 2007
I moved to Canada in june 2003 to live with my then boyfriend who is a canadian (born and raised), I also assumed since I was just coming up from the states that it would be simple to do. Since at the time I didn't even need a passport to cross the border. We both asumed after we married that I would be able to get my citizenship pretty quickly but not so. I am still a "vistor" here. I have not been able to file my paper work with CIC becuase I can not afford to cost. Becuase I am married to a Canadian I have to apply for "sponsorship of a spouse or common law partner", if you are going to marry or live together this is the same way you will have to go. Just so you know the fees I will break them down for you. Processing fees- Sponsor fee $75.00, principal applicant fee $475.00, any children coming with you would be $150.00 each. (I am not sure if you have children, I included this because I brought a child with me) There is also a right of permentant resideance fee of $490.00 that can be paid with your other fees or after you applicantion is processed. You can apply for a right of prementant residence fee loan , the applcation can be printed from the website. Just a suggestion , you might wanted to order your application now. There are a few things that will be easier to get before you cross into Canada. You will need a set of finger prints and a FBI record check, but you need to form from the application package to get it. You can order it online at www.cic.gc.ca All of the applactions are provided for free so I suggest ordering two, fill out one as a rough draft then the other as the final copy. Trust me. Document things you do together and take photos, you will need them for the appication. I needed photos of trips, my engagment dinner, our wedding and honeymoon. They want proof of a real realtionship. The law was changed in Feb. 2006. any one married to a Canadian Citizen can't be deported because they don't have thier papers yet. I hope this is helpful to you. I know it sounds like a alot of trouble but if your love each other it will be worth it in the end. Good luck!!!!