+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Being a lawyer in Canada

pradeepvakeel

Nov 8, 2011
Dear All

I am an Indian applied for migration to Canada under FSW1 category, on October 2011
I am an electrical engineering diploma holder and my experience is more on this subjects at post secondary level
Since i am a qualified lawyer in India with LL.B (five year)and sworn in as a lawyer I would prefer to continue my carrier as a lawyer. But the problem is I have only 49.75% (third class) as my overall mark. Presently I couldn’t undergo for an evaluation under NCA (National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) in Canada. What will be a good remedy to appear for the evaluation? Any other route in legal field?

Since I am 44 years, I think it will be more satisfactory to select my long term carrier goal to be a lawyer
in Canada.

According to your experience what field is more prospective in Canada?
Seniors Please Advice

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Hi! I'm a lawyer as well hoping to practice eventually again in Canada. I am currently gathering the material necessary to make an equivalency application with the Barreau du Québec. I looked into getting my license in Ontario, since it's cheaper, but it looks like my husband and I will be staying in QC so it makes more sense to get it here instead.

Anyway, have you looked at the NCA materials? I only looked at them briefly, but I believe they're fairly similar to those in QC in that they evaluate your education, work experience, etc. then they compare it to what is required of a lawyer in that province. Afterwards they inform you what you need to do to get your license there. They could require nothing more than the certification test(s), or that you go back to school for another law degree, or for anything in between.

You shouldn't assume that you're disqualified because of a mark you received in law school, though it may mean that you'll be required to take a few courses at a law school in Canada.