Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 29, 2013
I just got my wisdom teeth out today and will be bed ridden for the rest of they and figured I'd ask some questions about my profession that have crossed my mind recently.
I am officially a licensed cosmetologist in the state of Connecticut, and plan on furthering my career up in Canada when it's my turn to land as a permanent resident. Now i already know all the requirements to work and what you need to do in order to start working once you have become a permanent resident, and I also know that (luckily) Ontario requires the same amount of cosmetology in-school hours as Connecticut does, which is 1,500 hours. What i also know, which is not required in Connecticut, is that in Ontario you are required to follow a 2,000 hour apprenticeship program (in salon training) after you have completed your school hours.

What I would like to know is, if anyone at all on this forum who is going to become or has already become a hairstylist in Canada as a permanent resident, how easy and/or difficult was it to get to where you wanted to be as a hairstylist in Canada? I want to know what I have to do in order to rebuild myself up there and become successful, i'm the type of person that likes to plan ahead so I don't get stuck somewhere in the future. I am moving to Ontario, and believe the job that I have right now is going to count towards the hours of my apprenticeship since I am an assistant in a high end salon at the moment, which is basically what an apprenticeship is since I am being trained. Is this true? I also want to know how likely it is that I will land a job doing what I want to do being a permanent resident with training from another country rather than being a Canadian citizen having training from a Canadian school of cosmetology? It's a small world so you never know if there's some people on this forum who are doing the same thing I am : ) It would be great to know what your plans are or what you have already done to reach your goals! Thanks in advance : )

Lv.f

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 14 - 2013
AOR Received.
Feb 5 - 2013
File Transfer...
Feb 19 - 2013 (SA)
Med's Done....
Dec 20 - 2012
bscinto92 said:
I just got my wisdom teeth out today and will be bed ridden for the rest of they and figured I'd ask some questions about my profession that have crossed my mind recently.
I am officially a licensed cosmetologist in the state of Connecticut, and plan on furthering my career up in Canada when it's my turn to land as a permanent resident. Now i already know all the requirements to work and what you need to do in order to start working once you have become a permanent resident, and I also know that (luckily) Ontario requires the same amount of cosmetology in-school hours as Connecticut does, which is 1,500 hours. What i also know, which is not required in Connecticut, is that in Ontario you are required to follow a 2,000 hour apprenticeship program (in salon training) after you have completed your school hours.

What I would like to know is, if anyone at all on this forum who is going to become or has already become a hairstylist in Canada as a permanent resident, how easy and/or difficult was it to get to where you wanted to be as a hairstylist in Canada? I want to know what I have to do in order to rebuild myself up there and become successful, i'm the type of person that likes to plan ahead so I don't get stuck somewhere in the future. I am moving to Ontario, and believe the job that I have right now is going to count towards the hours of my apprenticeship since I am an assistant in a high end salon at the moment, which is basically what an apprenticeship is since I am being trained. Is this true? I also want to know how likely it is that I will land a job doing what I want to do being a permanent resident with training from another country rather than being a Canadian citizen having training from a Canadian school of cosmetology? It's a small world so you never know if there's some people on this forum who are doing the same thing I am : ) It would be great to know what your plans are or what you have already done to reach your goals! Thanks in advance : )
Hi there !

I am in Ontario too, so here are some pointers!

In case you are in the GTA, there are some great schools there like, Marca and Marvelle in Toronto. If you do an apprenticeship you need an employer. You will have to find an employer and have the employer contact the skills and trades department and there will be someone there who will "approve" you. So for an apprenticeship .. I don't think you can use your hours that you have now. But on the other hand, the 2,000 hours that you are talking about is not an apprenticeship, it's an internship basically.

If you do an apprenticeship, you can work and get your hours and go to school at the same time. Which is ideal for most people. If you go to school and finish your schooling, then you will have to find a salon to complete your 2,000 hours. Which I think in your case would be the best option.

I have been in the same salon for five years and I have seen many people come and go, mostly because of the other girls trying to get rid of them. It's a catty industry and its hard to find a salon that has that "family" atmosphere. So my advice when you get here and start applying, and find a salon: Be yourself, be nice to the other people in the salon and don't steal people's clients! Lol. :p

Good luck with everything!

Lv.f

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 14 - 2013
AOR Received.
Feb 5 - 2013
File Transfer...
Feb 19 - 2013 (SA)
Med's Done....
Dec 20 - 2012
Here are some schools in Ontario where you can get your hair styling schooling done and you can see which are available and which are wait listed.

http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/SearchResults/PROFESSIONS-TRADES-HAIR/_/N-lppz

Honestly, google the apprenticeship board of Ontario and you get a whole list of the requirements. And if you just want to do the schooling and intern, it's as easy that, get your schooling .. And intern ! :)

bscinto92

Apr 8, 2012
Shelton, Connecticut
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2012
File Transfer...
December 9, 2012
Med's Done....
August 15, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 29, 2013
Well as far as schooling, i am all done with school (thank the lord) i graduated in january, so i have the hours for that already. is it a good idea to go through with continuing my education up there? i really would rather not have to pay yet another school loan on top of the one i already owe to my school here, so if this doesnt NEED to happen and is just a little extra something that could potentially help me, that would be great. i am actually moving to hamilton ontario, which isnt too far from toronto anyway and with all the public transit i could get myself there and back everyday.

can i intern in canada if i've already done my schooling in the US? or do i have to have hours from a canadian school in order to intern?
also, does it cost any money to be under an apprenticeship program?

bscinto92

Apr 8, 2012
Shelton, Connecticut
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2012
File Transfer...
December 9, 2012
Med's Done....
August 15, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 29, 2013
i'm really just curious about if i'm going to have to reattend school all over again. i already completed my 1,500 hours and am hoping to move right into an apprenticeship as soon as i am legally able to work in canada

Lv.f

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 14 - 2013
AOR Received.
Feb 5 - 2013
File Transfer...
Feb 19 - 2013 (SA)
Med's Done....
Dec 20 - 2012
bscinto92 said:
i'm really just curious about if i'm going to have to reattend school all over again. i already completed my 1,500 hours and am hoping to move right into an apprenticeship as soon as i am legally able to work in canada
If they have issued you a license already and you have written your tests I think you can probably work your way around having to do the interning. I believe, and don't take my word for it, that here .. you do your schooling and intern and when you finish that, they issue you your license. Might not be the case, but like I said, if you already have your license why would you do the additional interning. :)

Lv.f

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 14 - 2013
AOR Received.
Feb 5 - 2013
File Transfer...
Feb 19 - 2013 (SA)
Med's Done....
Dec 20 - 2012
bscinto92 said:
can i intern in canada if i've already done my schooling in the US? or do i have to have hours from a canadian school in order to intern?
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use your US schooling in Canada, but you never know .. some rules are stupid. I am sure you can though. I am not hugely informed on that, research it! Call around ! :)

As for the apprenticing costing money, yes and no. Some employees that take on apprentices, pay for the apprenticeship, it really hardly costs anything. I believe last time I checked it was like $400. You can also get an apprenticeship grant that is $1,000-$2,000 to cover the cost of your tools and stuff which is pretty sweet.

bscinto92

Apr 8, 2012
Shelton, Connecticut
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2012
File Transfer...
December 9, 2012
Med's Done....
August 15, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 29, 2013
Souns pretty simple and straightforward to me : ) I would actually really enjoy an internship because there's so much about hairstyling that I feel like i haven't learned yet and i know that with an intership you are trained, i feel like i could use some extra training for sure... even if i dont need it it definitely helps to have it : ) I'm super excited to start my career up there! People from my job actually tell me all the time that there's lots of great salons in Canada and that i made a "good choice" lol, even though canada wasn't the choice, my husband was and he just happens to live there ; )

xxpazaway

Aug 15, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 5, 2011
AOR Received.
October 11, 2011
Med's Request
February 26, 2014
Med's Done....
September 29, 2011
LANDED..........
20-06-2014
bscinto92 said:
Well as far as schooling, i am all done with school (thank the lord) i graduated in january, so i have the hours for that already. is it a good idea to go through with continuing my education up there? i really would rather not have to pay yet another school loan on top of the one i already owe to my school here, so if this doesnt NEED to happen and is just a little extra something that could potentially help me, that would be great. i am actually moving to hamilton ontario, which isnt too far from toronto anyway and with all the public transit i could get myself there and back everyday.

Im from Hamilton too, There is lots of school for your career in Hamilton, My husband wants to open nail salon for me but unfortunately due to the processing of my paper all of our plan is on hold. We own a property which is good location for this business. I want to welcome you here in Hamilton, Its a nice and peaceful City.

bscinto92

Apr 8, 2012
Shelton, Connecticut
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2012
File Transfer...
December 9, 2012
Med's Done....
August 15, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 29, 2013
thank you : ) it's a small world lol. i'm hoping i dont really have to go through with the whole school thing again though. i feel ready to start working as a stylist now and feel like it's the only way i'm going to start learning everything i need to know, so it would be great if there was a way i could go into a hands on training kind of program.

thatgirl123

Star Member
Dec 3, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 30, 2012
bscinto92 said:

I don't know if you would have to complete the schooling all over again, but you would have to become a licenced hairdresser in Ontario. So...you will probably just have to re-do the exam , pay a fee, and complete the required salon hours in Canada. Here is a link with the information:
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/working/OI_HOW_WORK_STYLIST_CM.html

gushindima1

Jun 17, 2022
Hi, I am Dimitry, some question about cosmetology license?
So I have my cosmetology license in California ( and 2 years of work practice) and I have work permit in Canada
How can work there as a hairdresser?
thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I am Dimitry, some question about cosmetology license?
So I have my cosmetology license in California ( and 2 years of work practice) and I have work permit in Canada
How can work there as a hairdresser?
thank you
Post is from 2013. Since you have a work permit (don’t know where you live), look at job openings in your area to see if you need a license to apply. If you do then look at provincial licensing requirements.