+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP submitted - how to extend work permit?

simond94

Mar 19, 2023
Hi everyone, I have submitted and paid for my PNP application through BC PNP website. I am currently employed and my IEC work permit expires in 45 days. I have received an email titled "BC PNP Acknowledgement of Receipt" which contains my BC PNP file number BCSA-23-XXXXX. I tried linking this application to my IRCC account but it didn't work - should I try again in a few weeks or is this relevant for paper based applications only?

I am wondering what is the best way to extend my work permit? Is BC PNP AOR valid for BOWP applications? it looks like BOWP takes around 100 days to process - can I continue working while waiting for BOWP decision?

Thanks!

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hi everyone, I have submitted and paid for my PNP application through BC PNP website. I am currently employed and my IEC work permit expires in 45 days. I have received an email titled "BC PNP Acknowledgement of Receipt" which contains my BC PNP file number BCSA-23-XXXXX. I tried linking this application to my IRCC account but it didn't work - should I try again in a few weeks or is this relevant for paper based applications only?

I am wondering what is the best way to extend my work permit? Is BC PNP AOR valid for BOWP applications? it looks like BOWP takes around 100 days to process - can I continue working while waiting for BOWP decision?

Thanks!
So you don't have your BC PNP nomination? That's what I'm gathering. An AOR at the provincial stage has no value other than to tell you the BC PNP office received it.

If you don't have your actual nomination certificate then you can't extend your permit. Your application needs to be approved and then you need a concurrent work permit support letter in order to "convert" your IEC work permit into a closed work permit tied to your employer. Or, you need to apply for PR with your nomination certificate and get your AOR in that Federal application in order to be eligible for BOWP (if eligible).

At 45 days left the risk is your current permit expires and then you have to stop working unless you get that nomination + work permit support letter + you apply for a new closed work permit all before the expiry date on your IEC so you have maintained status - but you need those three essential ingredients for it.

Reactions: Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks!
You need to have the nomination approved to qualify for a BOWP. Can you confirm if you have the nomination or are still waiting for that?

simond94

Mar 19, 2023
Thanks so much for your replies! I don't have the nomination yet - I received the invite to apply, submitted my application to BC PNP and paid the 1150 CAD fee. I understand that BC PNP AOR will not work for BOWP and there is a high likelihood that I will not receive my nomination in time (less than 45 days remaining on IEC). I imagine plenty of folks have been in a similar position before...

Could I apply for BOWP without nomination letter and buy some time by going into maintained status since it will take 100 days to process and reject? Once I receive the nomination letter I can then apply for BOWP again?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Thanks so much for your replies! I don't have the nomination yet - I received the invite to apply, submitted my application to BC PNP and paid the 1150 CAD fee. I understand that BC PNP AOR will not work for BOWP and there is a high likelihood that I will not receive my nomination in time (less than 45 days remaining on IEC). I imagine plenty of folks have been in a similar position before...

Could I apply for BOWP without nomination letter and buy some time by going into maintained status since it will take 100 days to process and reject? Once I receive the nomination letter I can then apply for BOWP again?
No. Applying when you full well know you haven't met the eligibility criteria to exploit maintained status is tantamount to fraud and misrepresentation, and you may be in deep shit when IRCC smells that you tried to scheme the system. It's a particularly bad look if your BC PNP application is rejected for any reason, because you then pre-meditated illegal work. You may face a ban from holding a work permit for 6 months or if they want to punish you harder, they can.

Your best bet is to email BC PNP and ask them to prioritize your application by letting them know when your current permit is expiring.

simond94

Mar 19, 2023
No. Applying when you full well know you haven't met the eligibility criteria to exploit maintained status is tantamount to fraud and misrepresentation, and you may be in deep shit when IRCC smells that you tried to scheme the system. It's a particularly bad look if your BC PNP application is rejected for any reason, because you then pre-meditated illegal work. You may face a ban from holding a work permit for 6 months or if they want to punish you harder, they can.

Your best bet is to email BC PNP and ask them to prioritize your application by letting them know when your current permit is expiring.
Thanks for your help! I will reach out BC PNP to see if they can expedite my application.