+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP Processing times increased

jenn19

Star Member
Sep 28, 2014
Hi all,

I just went to check out the processing times for the PNP and they have increased again and are now taking 8-9 months from the previous 5-6 months. I just don't understand why it is taking so long and why in the last 2 months it has gone from 2-3 month processing time to 8-9 months. Apparently the letter itself only takes a couple of weeks to process from when they start your application. Have they had a surge in applications. This is very frustrating and leaving us in a very difficult situation.

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
This is what happened to AINP - the increase from 1 month to 25 months!! for those applying now... Too many applications..

jenn19

Star Member
Sep 28, 2014
Phil89 said:
This is what happened to AINP - the increase from 1 month to 25 months!! for those applying now... Too many applications..
That's crazy....I would have thought they would hire more people to help with the workload but get the feeling they aren't that bothered about it! Looks like we will be heading back home until we hear back.

ritvik123

Sep 16, 2012
App. Filed.......
7th Dec
Doc's Request.
20 March
AOR Received.
6th Feb
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
27th Feb
Med's Request
19th Feb
Med's Done....
25th Feb
Interview........
N/A
@ jenn i have been a victim of this system in Alberta and i am almost certain to pack my bags in January, as there is no chance
for me to get the AINP nomination! Yes! they are not bothered at all for sure!

and once you lose your working status your PNP file will be cancelled!

jenn19

Star Member
Sep 28, 2014
ritvik123 said:
@ jenn i have been a victim of this system in Alberta and i am almost certain to pack my bags in January, as there is no chance
for me to get the AINP nomination! Yes! they are not bothered at all for sure!

and once you lose your working status your PNP file will be cancelled!
Sorry to hear that. It's such a tough situation to be in and there is nothing in place tohelp in situations like ours due to the length of time we are having to wait.

On talking with the PNP office they said as long as your work still support your application and will take you back your application is still valid but unfortunately with the times increasing constantly work may not be willing to wait that long.

Our situation is looking like this at the moment. Work aren't able to give us the open job offer due to their policy but may be writing a strong worded letter saying they will hire him back as soon as a position is available. PNP will contact work and ask more questions due to this and see if he is an asset to the company. So it's good news that it's not black and white.

Ah it's such a headache. Hope it all works out for you.

hcmistri

Oct 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2016
AOR Received.
19-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
Pre-Medical
Hey Jen,

When you did you applied for BC PNP Application ?
I applied on May 7 and have not yet heard back. When i applied and check status i have email saying it will take about 2-3 months then few months letter 4-5 months and now 8-9 months come on BC..... I thought the whole purpose for applying under BC PNP is to fast track it and make it quicker.

So 9 months BC PNP + 17 months Federal = 26 Months Greeahh..

jenn19

Star Member
Sep 28, 2014
hcmistri said:
Hey Jen,

When you did you applied for BC PNP Application ?
I applied on May 7 and have not yet heard back. When i applied and check status i have email saying it will take about 2-3 months then few months letter 4-5 months and now 8-9 months come on BC..... I thought the whole purpose for applying under BC PNP is to fast track it and make it quicker.

So 9 months BC PNP + 17 months Federal = 26 Months Greeahh..
Hi there,

I applied Aug 14th and got AOR on the 20th of Aug. Yeah 8-9 months is ridiculous. If we'd known this we would have applied under CEC instead of PNP so we could have bridged with our current visa.

I think the times have increased so much is because they done away with something and now everyone's going through PNP. Hoping they don't increase the waiting time any more!

It's put us in a very bad spot and looks like we will be selling up and heading home until we get the verdict.

Good luck with your application hope you won't have to wait the 8-9 months seeing as you sent yours in May.

YVRBCPNP

Star Member
May 25, 2013
Hey Jenn, you got your AOR so fast!! just 6days after qpplying. I applied on 26th Sep and got the AOR today (10th Sep),exact 2 weeks!! I also noticed on the website they said "Our current processing time for Skills Immigration applications is 8 – 9 months." OMG, 8-9 months, that's really rediculous. One of my co-worker , he applied last Nov, now he almost get PR. I think we have no choice but wait, wait , wait!!!!!

jenn19 said:
Hi there,

I applied Aug 14th and got AOR on the 20th of Aug. Yeah 8-9 months is ridiculous. If we'd known this we would have applied under CEC instead of PNP so we could have bridged with our current visa.

I think the times have increased so much is because they done away with something and now everyone's going through PNP. Hoping they don't increase the waiting time any more!

It's put us in a very bad spot and looks like we will be selling up and heading home until we get the verdict.

Good luck with your application hope you won't have to wait the 8-9 months seeing as you sent yours in May.

jenn19

Star Member
Sep 28, 2014
YVRBCPNP said:
Hey Jenn, you got your AOR so fast!! just 6days after qpplying. I applied on 26th Sep and got the AOR today (10th Sep),exact 2 weeks!! I also noticed on the website they said "Our current processing time for Skills Immigration applications is 8 – 9 months." OMG, 8-9 months, that's really rediculous. One of my co-worker , he applied last Nov, now he almost get PR. I think we have no choice but wait, wait , wait!!!!!
Hi there,

Yeah they received it on the 15th and sent AOR 20th so 5 days! Not sure why sometimes it takes longer but they seem to be quicker than earlier this year as was taking them 3-4 weeks!

I know 8-9 months is crazy when it's supposed to be a 2 month process. Think it's down to changes and now more people are applying through the PNP.

Waw your co-worker applied at the right time then.

I know how much it can really complicate things with this long processing time. Just gotta ride the storm!

jenn19

Star Member
Sep 28, 2014
springchicken said:
Interesting. They are gonna take 8-9 months?? Really? So 28 months total? So :(
Yeah unfortunately bit of a wait! What a process eh. Need a lot of patience!

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
I applied for BCPNP last year and received my certificate in 12 weeks. The fact that the processing time has gone up to 9 months in less than a year is outrageous.

From what I've gathered, most Provincial Nominee programs are terribly backlogged because of the moratorium/rehaul of the Temporary Foreign Worker program earlier this year.

Basically a lot of people who would've applied for a positive LMO and become TFWs now can't, because the employer obligations/fees are higher and it's less appealing for employers to even try supporting these applications.

Employment-driven PNP programs are more appealing to employers, because they don't have to pay fees, because there's less paperwork involved, and because if the PNP appliation is approved the employee has a more secure status in Canada (I know this, because my employer happily agreed to support my BCPNP application, but was very very iffy about TFW, which eventually was rejected anyway). So for people who have already been working in Canada for a while but don't qualify for the occupations listed in CEC, PNP can basically be the only option for them to stay in Canada and continue working.

The Canadian Employment Minister says the number of TFW applications has dropped by 74% compared to last year. Hooray. Guess where all these applicants sent their applications instead?

Article on CBC: cbc.ca/news/politics/temporary-foreign-worker-applications-drop-74-since-new-reforms-1.2768151

jenn19

Star Member
Sep 28, 2014
liisa227 said:
I applied for BCPNP last year and received my certificate in 12 weeks. The fact that the processing time has gone up to 9 months in less than a year is outrageous.

From what I've gathered, most Provincial Nominee programs are terribly backlogged because of the moratorium/rehaul of the Temporary Foreign Worker program earlier this year.

Basically a lot of people who would've applied for a positive LMO and become TFWs now can't, because the employer obligations/fees are higher and it's less appealing for employers to even try supporting these applications.

Employment-driven PNP programs are more appealing to employers, because they don't have to pay fees, because there's less paperwork involved, and because if the PNP appliation is approved the employee has a more secure status in Canada (I know this, because my employer happily agreed to support my BCPNP application, but was very very iffy about TFW, which eventually was rejected anyway). So for people who have already been working in Canada for a while but don't qualify for the occupations listed in CEC, PNP can basically be the only option for them to stay in Canada and continue working.

The Canadian Employment Minister says the number of TFW applications has dropped by 74% compared to last year. Hooray. Guess where all these applicants sent their applications instead?

Article on CBC: cbc.ca/news/politics/temporary-foreign-worker-applications-drop-74-since-new-reforms-1.2768151
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the info.

Now they are applying through the PNP so the problem hasn't gone away. If we had known the processing times were going to be this long we would had done the CEC instead and bridged our visa, as now having to leave Canada while we wait it out. They need to have something in place for people who are subject to the long wait times and are not able to extend there visa while they wait. Hopefully the system will improve.

Bholl

Sep 22, 2014
I am in the same boat as well.

My work were happy to support my PNP application so I did that thinking it would be a 2 month gap from my current VISA expiring and the BC PNP being approved. But since sending my application in, in Sept it ballooned to 8-9 months from 5-6, I am in a position where I am unsure if my workplace will be able to hold my position that long.

I think as you mentioned Jen I will be getting a back up letter from my employer as it is unfair to accept applications with and advertised wait time then changing it after you have already submitted! Unfair on both the application and employer. I would have gone the LMIA route as I fall under skill type 0 I would have had a better chance getting that approved and finalised faster than the PNP route.

I too will be heading home until I hear back :(

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
I think the ever-changing processing times apply mostly to new applicants (i.e. currently 8-9 months for those who apply now, and less for those who applied before). Between when I applied and when I received the nomination, the announced processing time increased quite a bit, but my processing time was still within the range given when I first sent the application. Because the applications are processed in order of receipt, the files that were submitted earlier would obviously be in a shorter queue than later ones.

It might not be how it is, but that's my hunch.