+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC Inlanders thread

dei

Jan 14, 2014
Ponga said:
That's a shame, because your spouse was eligible for MSP, 2 months (plus the balance of the first month) after CIC RECEIVED your application...which would have been long before AIP.
Yes, we just didn't apply until after AIP because my spouse was covered under another plan.

lounge

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hello all, for spouse/common law questionnaire(Inland), if answer to question is "no" , does that mean the column to fill in information be left blank or i will still have to put "N/A". This is what i mean: Question (9) Were u previously married or in common law relationship, i check "no", all other column in question(9) be left blank or "N/A" . Any info regarding this will be appreciated.
Thanks

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
I got an answer to our appeal. In sort:
"We require confirmation that your spouse's Permanent Resident Application is 'In Process'."
They ask a letter about the transfer, which I already told them that doesn't exist.
Any idea?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
I already wrote a reply, I'm intend to send it on Monday. Any kind of advice (even about language/grammar) is appreciated.

Dear XY,

I regret to inform you, that we haven’t received any letter or email from CIC about the file transfer. The delivery notification proves that we sent the application to Vegreville, and the address on the letter of acknowledgement from CIC proves that it has been sent for processing to Mississauga. Unfortunately, CIC doesn't provide any further detail about the application, nor for the sponsor, neither for the applicant, before the processing of the application is finalized. Please feel free to contact CIC on our behalf. Our personal data are the following:

In addiction I would like to draw your attention to two pieces of information.
BC MSP and BC law don't require the application to be "In Process". BC MSP requires that the application “has been accepted for processing”, while BC law require that “the person has applied for permanent resident status”, and common requirement that “the application remains active”.
Also, the available information about CIC’s process (Explanation Table, Glossary and IP2 Manual) clearly state that once an application has been received and was reviewed for all the minimum requirements, than the processing of the application is actually started and the sponsor may get an Acknowledgement of receipt, what we received on May 2, 2014.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
The sponsor approval letter normally mentions the office that is handling the application - is that what they mean by "transfer letter"? Because CIC doesn't send anything else any more.

It really sounds like they don't understand CIC's process.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the letter in reference was the letter that some people received, indicating that their applications had been transferred to Mississauga (from Vergrville) earlier this year. Because the wording said something along the lines of "Your application has been transferred for processing...", MSP interpreted that as commencing the applicant's portion of the package.

It's almost funny that they are so focused on the word `processing' that they were satisfied with such a letter.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Ponga said:
I think the letter in reference was the letter that some people received, indicating that their applications had been transferred to Mississauga (from Vergrville) earlier this year. Because the wording said something along the lines of "Your application has been transferred for processing...", MSP interpreted that as commencing the applicant's portion of the package.

It's almost funny that they are so focused on the word `processing' that they were satisfied with such a letter.
And that was a one-time event that will not be repeated in the foreseeable future.

MiriMinBC

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Where's the emoticon for an exploding head???

My husband is sponsoring me and we have tried to get me on his MSP but we were told I needed an SIN which I would not get until I have an OWP.

So I can possibly get MSP??

Do I just bring all of my documents and a copy of their own bylaw to Service BC?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MiriMinBC said:
Where's the emoticon for an exploding head???

My husband is sponsoring me and we have tried to get me on his MSP but we were told I needed an SIN which I would not get until I have an OWP.

So I can possibly get MSP??

Do I just bring all of my documents and a copy of their own bylaw to Service BC?
No. You have to mail an application to the main office in Victoria...and prepare yourself for a fight! It's the sad truth that MSP ( as well as HIBC) don't even know their own requirement for eligibility.

Netkid

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
AOR Received.
21-03-2014; 25-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-04-2014
Med's Request
27-04-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Arrived 22-05-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
I called MSP and they said my wife will get coverage from Aug 1 (landed May 26). I talked to my HR dept and they said they can't backdate it cause MSP said Aug 1; MSP said my HR can...we're just going to leave it since it we aren't going to get anywhere and it was just a week. I know...bad attitude. MSP enforced the remaining month + 2 months on us, which is a right pain.

In all this, we haven't received any mail from MSP, but since my wife has to get her new DL, we will try to combine those (I think). The ordeal is almost over. Good luck to the rest.

yvr1234

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
LANDED..........
29-10-2013
Netkid said:
I called MSP and they said my wife will get coverage from Aug 1 (landed May 26). I talked to my HR dept and they said they can't backdate it cause MSP said Aug 1; MSP said my HR can...we're just going to leave it since it we aren't going to get anywhere and it was just a week. I know...bad attitude. MSP enforced the remaining month + 2 months on us, which is a right pain.

In all this, we haven't received any mail from MSP, but since my wife has to get her new DL, we will try to combine those (I think). The ordeal is almost over. Good luck to the rest.
Similar case for us. Lots of back and fore between HR and MSP. We didn't get the approval until AIP. And I needed to call MSP to get my husband's carecard number because they don't send out/use carecard any more.
Pharmasave also insisted the we filed tax return and fax them my husband's (0 income) Notice of Assessment from the year before so that they can determine our coverage...

Kev1n

Nov 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/06/2014
AOR Received.
01/08/2014
File Transfer...
01/08/2014 ( 26/09/2014--AOR2)
Med's Request
14/10/2014
Med's Done....
17/08/2013
Passport Req..
14/10/2014
Ponga said:
Since there are some provincial differences in the overall `process', specifically regarding eligibility for health care, driver licence, etc., I thought it might be helpful to have a thread for those of us in BC that have applied Inland, to discuss those issues (and more) here.

1. BC MSP (health insurance)-

A spouse or a child of an eligible B.C. resident may also be deemed a resident provided that an application for permanent residence status has been accepted for processing by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and the application remains active. For more information, see: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

Some people have been refused, due to the person(s) at BC MSP not fully understanding this `exception' to their standard eligibility requirements. Several members here have been successful, albeit after a bit of a battle over this part of their own language- "provided that an application for permanent residence status has been accepted for processing by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and the application remains active".
This is the date that is shown in eCas that CIC has ACCEPTED (not started processing) your application.
If you need the coverage, and have AOR...don't be afraid to empower yourself and keep trying!!

2. ICBC (BC Driver Licence)-

Unless you have a student, work, visitor, OR temporary-resident permit. etc., you cannot get a BC licence. They require 2 pieces of ID (primary and secondary) and the primary must be something that has been issued in Canada (more less). For those that have gone from visitor status (for those from via exempt countries that just leave and re-enter to reset the 6 month clock), to PR applicant, you probably don't have any such document...but...if you receive the aforementioned BC MSP card, you can get a temporary licence (valid for 2 months, renewable, without a photo) that will at least let you drive legally while you await your PR approval. Once you have your OWP (if you applied), you can then get a regular licence.

This also applies to anyone that thinks that they can simply exchange their US (or other countries that are listed for the exchange program) licence...you can't, until you have a primary form of ID.

3. Landing interview (Vancouver)-

Well...it looks like the wait for an appointment in the Vancouver office can be several (like 5-6) months, so bottle the excitement when you get DM...because you'll need to `sip on it' to maintain the euphoria until you get your COPR.

So, that's about all I have to share, but please jump in and share your thoughts/ experiences!
Hi Ponga, We just got SA, in the wording is says file transfered. My wife is applying for MSP. We are appling outland in Canada. The question is what are the chances of getting, MSP. thanks

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Kev1n said:
Hi Ponga, We just got SA, in the wording is says file transfered. My wife is applying for MSP. We are appling outland in Canada. The question is what are the chances of getting, MSP. thanks
Under a plain language reading of the law she should qualify. However, some folks at MSP seem to want something that CIC doesn't issue: a letter saying the application is "in process". That is far beyond what the law requires and something CIC doesn't actually issue.

Kev1n

Nov 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/06/2014
AOR Received.
01/08/2014
File Transfer...
01/08/2014 ( 26/09/2014--AOR2)
Med's Request
14/10/2014
Med's Done....
17/08/2013
Passport Req..
14/10/2014
computergeek said:
Under a plain language reading of the law she should qualify. However, some folks at MSP seem to want something that CIC doesn't issue: a letter saying the application is "in process". That is far beyond what the law requires and something CIC doesn't actually issue.
Thank you for your input computergeek

CMLR

Jun 19, 2014
I too am in BC and we want to know what all is needed to apply for Medical for me? Thanks for your help :)