Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
sophieee said:
Does CIC have some kind of statement or handout about their standard procedure? Something about that they don't send those kind of emails what MSP would like to have?
Sadly, no. While they do have manuals, they don't explain the details of the process.

Rusalka

Star Member
Dec 4, 2013
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please help with recommendations :)
Please clear up how I can continue to drive!!!

My husband is Canadian (was born in Vancouver), we are married for 11 years, have 3 kids (last one was born in Canada).
We lived in Russia for all these years (my husband was working there) and last year in April we decided to move to Canada (suddenly, earlier we had plans for Europe) and in June we were already here. So there was no time for Outland process.
From June to December I was driving with my national license, then we went to USA for 2 weeks and 6 months began again.
These 6 months will be expired in 10 days.

We applied for PR in January. At the end of March we received additional inquiry for one form (which we definitely put) and one extra form (for Outlanders. We were very surprised, but filled it). So we sent these at the end of March and still waiting for AOR.

Besause 6 months expire I asked for prolongation of my visa. It should arrive in 5-14 days.
I didn't ask for OWP, because I was not planning to work.
But now I am thinking -may be it could help me???

I need to drive to two different schools of children, daughter's tennis and so on. It will be catastrophy to stay without licence. I have no any Canadian documents. What can help me to receive BC or temporary licence???

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Rusalka said:
My husband is Canadian (was born in Vancouver), we are married for 11 years, have 3 kids (last one was born in Canada).
We lived in Russia for all these years (my husband was working there) and last year in April we decided to move to Canada (suddenly, earlier we had plans for Europe) and in June we were already here. So there was no time for Outland process.
Being in Canada doesn't preclude you from using the Outland process. Being outside Canada precludes you from using the in Canada process. It's a common point of confusion (and the CIC website doesn't help as it's misleading). But it's too late for that.

Rusalka said:
Besause 6 months expire I asked for prolongation of my visa. It should arrive in 5-14 days.
I didn't ask for OWP, because I was not planning to work.
But now I am thinking -may be it could help me???
You are still a long way off from AIP (currently that would be in December 2014) so the work permit wouldn't come until then. However, you don't need status as far as CIC or CBSA is concerned, but you would need something in order to get a drivers licence from BC.

Rusalka said:
I need to drive to two different schools of children, daughter's tennis and so on. It will be catastrophy to stay without licence. I have no any Canadian documents. What can help me to receive BC or temporary licence???
According to the ICBC website, they will accept your visitor record. If it is for less than six months, you can only get a temporary permit. If it is for more than six months, no problem. Your second form of ID would then be your passport.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/visit-dl-office/Pages/Accepted-ID.aspx

You will also need evidence of driving experience OR you have to go through the graduated licence program (which you definitely want to avoid). Check with ICBC if your foreign licence is sufficient.

You will also need to take the written driving test.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
computergeek said:
You will also need evidence of driving experience OR you have to go through the graduated licence program (which you definitely want to avoid). Check with ICBC if your foreign licence is sufficient.

You will also need to take the written driving test.
Do you have experience with the accepted evidence? I have a driving licence issued 8 years ago, but I just checked, and it's monolingual, so no English or French on it.

vaida

Oct 10, 2013
sophieee said:
Do you have experience with the accepted evidence? I have a driving licence issued 8 years ago, but I just checked, and it's monolingual, so no English or French on it.
Sophie, you need a translation
find yours at http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Documents/Approved-translators.pdf

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
sophieee said:
I have a rather painful experience, indeed. I held a US license, which is generally easy to exchange, but because it wasn't two years old they insisted I had to get a letter that stated how long I'd held a license. The US state would not issue such a letter unless I appeared in person. Ultimately, that's what I did: I traveled the 3175km, went to the State Capitol and obtained the letter. With that, ICBC was happy and I obtained my BC licence.

So yes, they are pretty adamant about the evidence of driving experience.

As someone else posted, you just need to get a certified translation of your old licence. That should be more than enough.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Vaida, computergeek, thank you for your replies!
I will apply for visa extension the next week, if I get more than six months, I will contact a translator. Hopefully ICBC won't have a problem with my almost 8 years:)

Rusalka

Star Member
Dec 4, 2013
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
computergeek
thank you very much for answer! :)
Visitor's visa expires every 6 months :-[ so ... anyway better to have paper one...
I am just thinking if it's allowed to drive on visitor's visa for 6 months - may be I can continue to drive just with it, if my visitor's status is prolonged? :)

Hm... I have Russian driving license, in French just that it is licence and my surname and name. I even didn't think that it should be translated :eek: Probably it s illegal to drive without translation. :-X There is the years of my driver's experience there (15 years), but in Russian...

CMLR

Jun 19, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions. I have been on other threads and learned a few things but still I want to know other people experience here in BC, I am on Vancouver island and in some ways it feels like it is a world unto it's self here.

I do not know or understand all of the Acronyms so may I ask what DM stands for? I know what CIC is and What PR and what implied status is. My husband and I sent in all parts of the applications together on May 16, 2014. I have been told since we did an inland application we would probably not hear anything until they approve (or not) the sponsorship application. Is this true? I have been told that at some point before I have my PR I can apply for medical is this true and if so when? I have been told that we should not have done an inland application since I am from the US what are your thoughts yes I know it is too lat but still would like to know. I think that is all my questions for now, thanx

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CMLR said:
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions. I have been on other threads and learned a few things but still I want to know other people experience here in BC, I am on Vancouver island and in some ways it feels like it is a world unto it's self here.

I do not know or understand all of the Acronyms so may I ask what DM stands for? I know what CIC is and What PR and what implied status is. My husband and I sent in all parts of the applications together on May 16, 2014. I have been told since we did an inland application we would probably not hear anything until they approve (or not) the sponsorship application. Is this true? I have been told that at some point before I have my PR I can apply for medical is this true and if so when? I have been told that we should not have done an inland application since I am from the US what are your thoughts yes I know it is too lat but still would like to know. I think that is all my questions for now, thanx
DM = "Decision Made"
COPR = "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" - the document CIC gives you after decision made. When that has been executed you are legally a permanent resident of Canada.
AIP = "Approval in Principle" - used for inland applications indicating the applicant has been granted an exception to the normal PR rule of applying from outside Canada by virtue of their relationship.

There are several posts in this thread about obtaining medical coverage from the MSP folks while your application is pending. I would suggest that you review them as they include pointers to the law as well as printed MSP documentation on what they require to give you coverage. Note: this coverage is yours by virtue of your sponsor, so you need to be added to your sponsor's MSP coverage as a dependent.

Unless you have specific reasons for applying via the special inland process, it is better for US citizens to apply Outland. One thing is that it's faster usually. Outland also grants additional IAD appeal rights that are not available for Inland applicants (who must go to Federal Court).

Having done that, you should be prepared for the long wait... It's at 11 months now and it seems to be climbing in real time.

CMLR

Jun 19, 2014
Our applications are in. We, on advice, went with the inland since for financial reasons I need to be working sooner rather than later. We asked lots of questions on which one to apply for and both of us saw that the wait time for me would have been as much as 30 month. We were not told that outland applications would also be done in Canada, at least not that we remember. I am worried now after reading other posts in other threads that if I leave I may be denied coming back in and if so everything fall completely apart. One of my sons lives in Iowa and has wanted me/us to visit for 4 years now. He has offered to have us both come on his dime but my husband did not feel he could miss the time at work. So my son has gotten me a ticket for September of this year. We also have possible plans for a wedding to attend. now I am concerned about making these trips. I do have an extension on my Visitors Status which was granted for one full year. Can people give me their thoughts.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CMLR said:
Our applications are in. We, on advice, went with the inland since for financial reasons I need to be working sooner rather than later. We asked lots of questions on which one to apply for and both of us saw that the wait time for me would have been as much as 30 month. We were not told that outland applications would also be done in Canada, at least not that we remember. I am worried now after reading other posts in other threads that if I leave I may be denied coming back in and if so everything fall completely apart. One of my sons lives in Iowa and has wanted me/us to visit for 4 years now. He has offered to have us both come on his dime but my husband did not feel he could miss the time at work. So my son has gotten me a ticket for September of this year. We also have possible plans for a wedding to attend. now I am concerned about making these trips. I do have an extension on my Visitors Status which was granted for one full year. Can people give me their thoughts.
Sounds like you had some very bad advice as an American is typically processed (completely) within 12 months...nowhere near 30 months as you `thought'. In your defense, it's a fairly common mistake that many others have made as well. CIC could make it clearer, that for an American applicant that is a straightforward case, the processing is done entirely in Canada and is ONLY sent to LA or NY, if there are `issues'.

Leaving Canada will be the end of your visitor extension, so when you attempt to get back into Canada after your trip to Iowa...you may be denied re-entry.

Having to stay in Canada, for an Inland applicant, is probably the biggest pill to swallow in the entire process.

Good luck!!!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
CMLR said:
I really don't understand how people get this 30 month thing.

The CIC website is very clear that US applications are processed through Ottawa. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp#u - it clearly says CPC-O.

Ottawa's wait time is 15 months for 80% of applications. But if you look at the actual dataset from data.gc.ca (last I looked it was the #2 downloaded data set so it is very easy to find) it actually shows that 50% of applications are completed in 8 months.

If you have serious issues: concerns about your relationship, requirements for an ARC, requirements for an interview, etc., THEN your application is forwarded by Ottawa to NYC or LA. THEN it will take a much longer time to process. But to be honest, if you have the kinds of issues that cause this to happen you normally aren't inside Canada in the first place - or you will be looking at 3+ years for Inland as well (the local offices are often very slow).

dei

Jan 14, 2014
Our landing letter arrived for July 24th yesterday, DM was on April 15th!

Also, although MSP accepted my spouse under my plan after AIP, they didn't provide coverage until the OWP came in.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dei said:
Our landing letter arrived for July 24th yesterday, DM was on April 15th!

Also, although MSP accepted my spouse under my plan after AIP, they didn't provide coverage until the OWP came in.
That's a shame, because your spouse was eligible for MSP, 2 months (plus the balance of the first month) after CIC RECEIVED your application...which would have been long before AIP.