+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC Inlanders thread

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since there are some provincial differences in the overall `process', specifically regarding eligibility for health care, driver licence, etc., I thought it might be helpful to have a thread for those of us in BC that have applied Inland, to discuss those issues (and more) here.

1. BC MSP (health insurance)-

A spouse or a child of an eligible B.C. resident may also be deemed a resident provided that an application for permanent residence status has been accepted for processing by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and the application remains active. For more information, see: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

Some people have been refused, due to the person(s) at BC MSP not fully understanding this `exception' to their standard eligibility requirements. Several members here have been successful, albeit after a bit of a battle over this part of their own language- "provided that an application for permanent residence status has been accepted for processing by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and the application remains active".
This is the date that is shown in eCas that CIC has ACCEPTED (not started processing) your application.
If you need the coverage, and have AOR...don't be afraid to empower yourself and keep trying!!

2. ICBC (BC Driver Licence)-

Unless you have a student, work, visitor, OR temporary-resident permit. etc., you cannot get a BC licence. They require 2 pieces of ID (primary and secondary) and the primary must be something that has been issued in Canada (more less). For those that have gone from visitor status (for those from via exempt countries that just leave and re-enter to reset the 6 month clock), to PR applicant, you probably don't have any such document...but...if you receive the aforementioned BC MSP card, you can get a temporary licence (valid for 2 months, renewable, without a photo) that will at least let you drive legally while you await your PR approval. Once you have your OWP (if you applied), you can then get a regular licence.

This also applies to anyone that thinks that they can simply exchange their US (or other countries that are listed for the exchange program) licence...you can't, until you have a primary form of ID.

3. Landing interview (Vancouver)-

Well...it looks like the wait for an appointment in the Vancouver office can be several (like 5-6) months, so bottle the excitement when you get DM...because you'll need to `sip on it' to maintain the euphoria until you get your COPR.

So, that's about all I have to share, but please jump in and share your thoughts/ experiences!

dei

Jan 14, 2014
My spouse got a BC license by showing her Temporary Resident Visa (we extended from the US), passport, and old Oregon license; she didn't have any trouble getting the license.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the info. I've edited the original post to include this.

VioletBlue

Aug 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great idea! I'm in BC too....so it's good to have everything in one spot :)
....I was gonna ask in a separate thread but maybe u know the answer Ponga...

How long does it take from the day u Mail your application until you hear something from CIC???.... I'm assuming it'll take few weeks...but how long? I know they received it...but just wondering when do they contact u to give u your #....or if incomplete...to ask for more docs...or even return it...thanks! :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VioletBlue said:
Great idea! I'm in BC too....so it's good to have everything in one spot :)
....I was gonna ask in a separate thread but maybe u know the answer Ponga...

How long does it take from the day u Mail your application until you hear something from CIC???.... I'm assuming it'll take few weeks...but how long? I know they received it...but just wondering when do they contact u to give u your #....or if incomplete...to ask for more docs...or even return it...thanks! :)
Typically, about 30 days. Your sponsor will receive an email with a file number (for both of you) and his UCI number. It will show the date that your application was received (accepted) by CIC, which will be your official AOR date.

So...what did you decide regarding your two options?!?!

VioletBlue

Aug 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well because our baby is due in about 8-9 weeks we chose prra route.... I Don't want to be sent back just before our baby is born ...I haven't been back in 8years and its scary because I Don't even know what kind of medical coverage(if any) I would have.....so prra gibes us at least few mths to get ready in case I do have to go
At least it won't be so sudden and abrupt...that was so scary to even think about for me....plus because we had to rush to send in application I'm thinking it won't be as complete as the would like...I Know it's not what I wanted to send...but had to send it with whatever we got....so getting them to expedite the process probably wouldn't be a great idea...

I Don't know! Its so hard to live in this uncertainty! Ugh! But gotta keep going and hope this ordeal will soon be over and we can live like everyone else.....With status!! That's my biggest wish!! :)

Victorswife

Star Member
Oct 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 5 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 3 2012
File Transfer...
AIP & OWP Sept 20, 2013
Med's Request
Sept 20, 2013
Med's Done....
October 2 2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM Jan 8 2014
LANDED..........
March 4, 2014
Hiya,

Any updates on the Vancouver office landing timeline?

We received DM at the beginning of January.... Can't wait to travel!!!
~a.

Bright_skies

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
AOR Received.
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
18-05-2013
Victorswife said:
Hiya,

Any updates on the Vancouver office landing timeline?

We received DM at the beginning of January.... Can't wait to travel!!!
~a.
A couple of us just got Vancouver landing appointments in the mail today, hope yours is soon!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what IS an acceptable wait for the Vancouver office? 1 month...3 months...??

In a world where everybody wants things to happen NOW, especially when you're at the end of an already lonnnnng process...what is a realistic wait considering this is one of the busiest offices for CIC?

Bright_skies

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
AOR Received.
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
18-05-2013
Ponga said:

In a world where everybody wants things to happen NOW, especially when you're at the end of an already lonnnnng process...what is a realistic wait considering this is one of the busiest offices for CIC?
Good question
I got my letter one week after DM (Feb4), and some with DM Jan 6 got the same landing date (Feb26) as me. We were wondering if they are saving up until they have 15 DMs or something?!
On the January speadsheet you can chose only the Vancouver landers and compare their times- mostly 30-60 days.

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
Ponga said:

Considering in Australia and New Zealand you can apply for a PR and recieve it in a few weeks to a couple of months, i dont think there is any excuse for the Canadian system being so ridiculously slow at every single stage. The lack of communication is also ridiculous and unprofessional. Personally, we never recieved an AOR letter, nor an AIP letter, and the eCAS is always out of date (displaying 6 month wait time when we had already waited 11 months).

The Canadian system is a joke at every level. Wait times being the most serious and obvious indicator of their total incompetance.

To answer your question, 1 month is more than enough time. In a properly run system.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steerpike said:
Considering in Australia and New Zealand you can apply for a PR and recieve it in a few weeks to a couple of months, i dont think there is any excuse for the Canadian system being so ridiculously slow at every single stage. The lack of communication is also ridiculous and unprofessional. Personally, we never recieved an AOR letter, nor an AIP letter, and the eCAS is always out of date (displaying 6 month wait time when we had already waited 11 months).

The Canadian system is a joke at every level. Wait times being the most serious and obvious indicator of their total incompetance.

To answer your question, 1 month is more than enough time. In a properly run system.
I'm not ready to concur with your assessment of the Canadian system entirely, but will agree that 1 month certainly seems like more than enough time.

Wow. I had no idea that it was so fast `down under'!

yvr1234

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
LANDED..........
29-10-2013
We were the "lucky one" that had to waited almost 6 months for a landing interview.