+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC Inlanders thread

greenfrog77

Dec 15, 2015
DustinBrett said:
That's terrible. The people at MSP sound like complete idiots. I am in a similar situation but still haven't received my AOR from CIC so I can't even talk to MSP yet. It sounds like I am going to have a hell of a fight when the time comes. It's so clear from the documents online that we should be allowed to apply. I wish there was more than could be done. I intend to try and talk to a supervisor as soon as the people at MSP start giving me incorrect information. My wife is 5 weeks pregnant so it's unfortunate also that she can't get coverage, likely for her entire pregnancy. We are currently waiting to hear from BC Women's as they MIGHT be able to cover all my wife's medical needs during her pregnancy. Hopefully that will work out or I am going to be paying for everything out-of-pocket.
I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, I had to have some procedures done a few months ago and I paid nearly $4000 for them. I have just put a claim in for it from my UK travel insurance, so hopefully it will be covered. However, as you know, there are lots of things that are not covered - like pregnancy related things.
I'm going to send off my docs to MSP and wait to get rejected and then start some pointless appeals process. At least I feel like I'm doing something I suppose.
Let me know how you get on with the supervisor. I asked to speak to one yesterday and the woman told me there was no point as I'd be told the same thing.
I cant help but think they are on dangerous ground as they have clearly set a legal precedent by giving MSP to some people who have "Application Received" and not others. I will be making that point to them in my appeal letter, amongst many other points! Unfortunately, it still all feels a bit fruitless and it might be hard to prove.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
greenfrog77 said:
Hi. Thanks, yes it's nightmare. I really need some medical input right now too, which doesn't help ...
Inland is definitely the best option for us. I'm from the UK and my spouse is Canadian. His assessment to sponsor me will take 64 days, but the London office outland wait time is currently 28 months. At least our inland application is somewhere along the way of getting done - albeit 23 months or something ridiculous away...
Please take a look at these spreadsheets:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FAYZyQgud1lzp7fM28i2O8ZrfbMAxdTc_t7_fiwI6ak/edit?pli=1#gid=658388151
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kYJ0Xo_jHLeArkCVeicZyqIE8YLpnZqVJlFrnpmKMx0/edit#gid=396125530

We had a hard time with BC MSP too, which ended when I received my work permit. And we just received a letter from the ombudsperson a couple weeks ago that they will assign a new officer to our case. They clearly take their time...

greenfrog77

Dec 15, 2015
sophieee said:
Please take a look at these spreadsheets:

We had a hard time with BC MSP too, which ended when I received my work permit. And we just received a letter from the ombudsperson a couple weeks ago that they will assign a new officer to our case. They clearly take their time...
Hi sophieee. Thanks, I will take a look at them. I was wondering how you got on with yours as I'd see that it had been hard. Did you have to wait 3 months after you'd received your work permit for MSP?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
greenfrog77 said:
Hi sophieee. Thanks, I will take a look at them. I was wondering how you got on with yours as I'd see that it had been hard. Did you have to wait 3 months after you'd received your work permit for MSP?
No, I didn't. I received my WP at the end of April and sent the application for BC MSP again right away. I don't remember exactly when I received my card, but I just checked and it was issued May 31, 2015. So I guess my coverage started that day or June 1st maybe.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Makes sense, since coverage starts 2 months + the balance of the month when that eligibility is determined.

This means that it ranges from 2 months and 1 day, for some, up to 3 full months for others...depending on when MSP `makes up' the eligibility date.

greenfrog77

Dec 15, 2015
sophieee said:
No, I didn't. I received my WP at the end of April and sent the application for BC MSP again right away. I don't remember exactly when I received my card, but I just checked and it was issued May 31, 2015. So I guess my coverage started that day or June 1st maybe.
You have given me hope! :)
My work permit should hopefully (!?) be issued at end of Jan / start of Feb (we applied in June with the rest of our inland application, but they sent the whole work permit part back to me in Oct as I'd missed something on the form). We sent it off again very early Oct. Processing times are pretty much four months at present, so fingers crossed I'll have my work permit by end of Jan / start of Feb. (The open work permit pilot scheme is another reason we are applying inland and not outland).
The fantastically unhelpful woman I spoke to yesterday at MSP told me I'd have to wait another 3 months for coverage once I'd got my work permit. I really cant afford to wait that long as I need some medical care much sooner than that.
Did you include anything different / additional in your next application to MSP? Which form did you use? Your own one, or the add a spouse one? DId you write a cover letter explaining anything? Sorry for all questions, I'm a bit desperate to get it asap ...

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
greenfrog77 said:
You have given me hope! :)
My work permit should hopefully (!?) be issued at end of Jan / start of Feb (we applied in June with the rest of our inland application, but they sent the whole work permit part back to me in Oct as I'd missed something on the form). We sent it off again very early Oct. Processing times are pretty much four months at present, so fingers crossed I'll have my work permit by end of Jan / start of Feb. (The open work permit pilot scheme is another reason we are applying inland and not outland).
The fantastically unhelpful woman I spoke to yesterday at MSP told me I'd have to wait another 3 months for coverage once I'd got my work permit. I really cant afford to wait that long as I need some medical care much sooner than that.
Did you include anything different / additional in your next application to MSP? Which form did you use? Your own one, or the add a spouse one? DId you write a cover letter explaining anything? Sorry for all questions, I'm a bit desperate to get it asap ...
I tried to find my cover letter for that application but I couldn't. I'm sure that we used the 203 MSP Account Change form, so basically my husband applied for me and I was added to his account. If I remember correctly this time we didn't even bother to tell them that I have a PR application in process. Maybe that's the reason I haven't found the cover letter, I could have just sent the form, the marriage certificate and my work permit without anything further.

greenfrog77

Dec 15, 2015
sophieee said:
I tried to find my cover letter for that application but I couldn't. I'm sure that we used the 203 MSP Account Change form, so basically my husband applied for me and I was added to his account. If I remember correctly this time we didn't even bother to tell them that I have a PR application in process. Maybe that's the reason I haven't found the cover letter, I could have just sent the form, the marriage certificate and my work permit without anything further.
Thanks. Ok, I'll send it off again and we shall see what happens. Appreciate your help :D

dsmith24

Sep 30, 2015
Hi guys :)
I might be on the wrong thread, but I figured you guys would probably know more. My husband and I have applied outland( from belgium), and we had a question regarding how to get a BC drivers license. He will have had his license for about 10 months when we land. The ICBC site has us a little worried because it says anything under 2 years means going through the whole process (L,N, etc...). Does anyone know anything more about that?

DustinBrett

Star Member
Jan 21, 2015
I have some good news from the POV of me and my pregnant wife. I applied for us at the New Beginnings Maternity Clinic (http://www.bcwomens.ca/our-services/pregnancy-prenatal-care/maternity-care-for-new-immigrants) and today we were accepted. So even though my wife won't have MSP coverage for her pregnancy, the BC Women's hospital has been kind enough to help us with our pregnancy. They already booked our first appointment for us with an ultrasound and blood work and everything. We are very excited and I am extremely relived to not have to worry about paying for all of this out-of-pocket.

NadiaVan

Jul 29, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 27, 2015
AOR Received.
Oct 20, 2015
DustinBrett said:
I have some good news from the POV of me and my pregnant wife. I applied for us at the New Beginnings Maternity Clinic (http://www.bcwomens.ca/our-services/pregnancy-prenatal-care/maternity-care-for-new-immigrants) and today we were accepted. So even though my wife won't have MSP coverage for her pregnancy, the BC Women's hospital has been kind enough to help us with our pregnancy. They already booked our first appointment for us with an ultrasound and blood work and everything. We are very excited and I am extremely relived to not have to worry about paying for all of this out-of-pocket.
this is the best news I have heard for a while. We postponed on starting a family because of the expensive bills without the MSP coverage. Thank you for the information.

greenfrog77

Dec 15, 2015
DustinBrett said:
I have some good news from the POV of me and my pregnant wife. I applied for us at the New Beginnings Maternity Clinic (link here) and today we were accepted. So even though my wife won't have MSP coverage for her pregnancy, the BC Women's hospital has been kind enough to help us with our pregnancy. They already booked our first appointment for us with an ultrasound and blood work and everything. We are very excited and I am extremely relived to not have to worry about paying for all of this out-of-pocket.
That's really great news and very good to hear. Happy for you! :D

VioletBlue

Aug 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This maybe a better place for my Q...Just wondering How Long does it take from getting DM letter...to getting Landing Interview letter with all the information about Date, time, place, what to bring to the interview etc?

Local office (Vancouver) already called me to ask if I would like to come to Van city...OR wait until they come to Victoria...I opted for Victoria...But havent received a letter yet....so just wondering. How long does it take...I'm.sure holidays are causing a delay too

lizololo

Jan 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2016
AOR Received.
31-08-2016, AOR2 - 16-09-2016
I'm moving to BC from AB this summer.
I'm planning to apply for the sponsorship in august when I receive my post graduate work permit.
I'd like to get MSP as soon as possible.
Do I have to be employed to get MSP on my work permit?
I just want my husband to include me in his insurance.