+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background check not started

Athmane

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Hi guys,

My application is 25th July 2017, my background check didn't started, my wife requested the GCMS file, and it shows that police status not yet started. I have applied from Qatar, my file has been transferred to LVO in November.
will the request of the GCMS speed up the file? and after finishing 12 months, what shall I do?

Best regards,

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Request of GCMS will not speed up the processing of your application....GCMS helps to provide notes from the visa officers review of your application.

When you check your Application Status in your online account.........what's the message for Review of Eligibility.....(1) or (2)....below;

1.) Review of eligibility: "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility."
2.) Review of eligibility: "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements"

Background check takes awhile to complete....in your Application Status.....what's the Background Check message....(1) or (2).....below;

1.) Background Check: “Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check.”
2.) Background Check: “We are processing your background check. we will send you a message if we need more information.“

Sponsorship applications is processed on a case basis and depends on the visa office.......if your AOR is on 25th July 2017......you have almost completed 12months (25-July-2018)......will advice that you give IRCC 1week.......if nothing, them send an email to LVO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manal90

Athmane

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Request of GCMS will not speed up the processing of your application....GCMS helps to provide notes from the visa officers review of your application.

When you check your Application Status in your online account.........what's the message for Review of Eligibility.....(1) or (2)....below;

1.) Review of eligibility: "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility."
2.) Review of eligibility: "We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements"

Background check takes awhile to complete....in your Application Status.....what's the Background Check message....(1) or (2).....below;

1.) Background Check: “Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check.”
2.) Background Check: “We are processing your background check. we will send you a message if we need more information.“

Sponsorship applications is processed on a case basis and depends on the visa office.......if your AOR is on 25th July 2017......you have almost completed 12months (25-July-2018)......will advice that you give IRCC 1week.......if nothing, them send an email to LVO.
Thanx Wakki,
my Review of eligibility is :We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Background check is :Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check.

how to send email to LVO, do you have their email address?

regards,

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Good...your Review of Eligibility message is :"We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements".........when Review of Eligibility is completed.......Background Check is next to complete.......before passport request.

Background check takes awhile to complete......sometimes may have started but not updated in your application status.

Will advice you be patient......you have reached the 12months and likely Background Check message may soon change to...

Will advice that you give IRCC 1week.......if nothing, them send an email to LVO.......try this LVO email....london-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

Visa office in London, United Kingdom

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/sweden-suede/contact-contactez.aspx?lang=eng

Last edited:
Reactions: tsuji and june2018

Athmane

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Hi,
It’s been almost 2 months now and my background check has not been started yet. My application was submitted on July 2018.
Is there anyone in my situation as well?
Thank you
Hi,
My case is the same, background not started, but before the due date they send me a letter of procedural fairness, to proof that my wife is intend to return back to Canada, I have send the additional information on 14th August, and on 16th August I received one letter of pre arrival services, I don't know if they approve my additional documents provided or not, but BC not started yet.
Regards

May 20, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
14-06-2018
AOR Received.
30-07-2018
File Transfer...
29-08-2018
Med's Request
20-08-2018
Med's Done....
05-09-2018
Passport Req..
15-10-2018
Hi,
It’s been almost 1.5 months now and my background check has not been started yet. My application was submitted on July 2018.
Is there anyone in my situation as well?
Thank you
If you’re a July 2018 outland applicant, they haven’t opened your file yet. They’re still working on late June applications, so you might have 3-4 weeks of waiting still before you hear from IRCC, and normally, background check is the last step of the process.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
14-06-2018
AOR Received.
30-07-2018
File Transfer...
29-08-2018
Med's Request
20-08-2018
Med's Done....
05-09-2018
Passport Req..
15-10-2018
Hi,
Yes, I am a July applicant and was very much worried. Thank you for letting me know. They updated the ‘Medical’ as passed though. Doesn’t that mean, they’ve opened the file?
Thank you
Are you an inland applicant? If you are, your file is in Mississauga and you are following a different timeline. Did you submit medical upfront or they requested it?? Either way, they’ve opened your file if you’re already able to link to GCKey.

june2018

Star Member
Jun 7, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
01/06/2018
Doc's Request.
16-07-2018
AOR Received.
12-07-2018
File Transfer...
20-11-2018
Med's Request
16-07-2018
Med's Done....
17-07-2018
Passport Req..
24-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2019
LANDED..........
20-06-2019
Good...your Review of Eligibility message is :"We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements".........when Review of Eligibility is completed.......Background Check is next to complete.......before passport request.

Background check takes awhile to complete......sometimes may have started but not updated in your application status.

Will advice you be patient......you have reached the 12months and likely Background Check message may soon change to...

Will advice that you give IRCC 1week.......if nothing, them send an email to LVO.......try this LVO email....london-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

Visa office in London, United Kingdom

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/sweden-suede/contact-contactez.aspx?lang=eng
Thanks for your helpful post Wakki!
I have a question... What will it change to after the eligibility requirements are completed?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
When eligibility assessment is started or completed.......the message for Review of Eligibility.....will be (2)....below;

When Background check is started or completed.......the message for Background Check......will be (2).....below;

May 20, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
14-06-2018
AOR Received.
30-07-2018
File Transfer...
29-08-2018
Med's Request
20-08-2018
Med's Done....
05-09-2018
Passport Req..
15-10-2018
When eligibility assessment is started or completed.......the message for Review of Eligibility.....will be (2)....below;

When Background check is started or completed.......the message for Background Check......will be (2).....below;

Hi Wakki just wondering if you have seen this situation before or if you could give me some input: No updates on ECAS, ever. Only thing showing on both sides is application received and the processing date of the sponsorship application. Sponsor was approved and review of eligibility and background check for PA started on August 3rd, but at this point I have no idea where my application is or where it will be processed. I tried getting some info from the call centre agents but they were unwilling to even ask for my details to verify what’s going on with my file. I’ve been getting mixed answers regarding whether my application will be processed in Canada or not since background check already started two weeks ago

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
When you check your Application Status in your online account.........what's the message for "Review of Eligibility" and "Background Check".

Your application will be in the final processing phase when you have these status messages below;

Review of eligibility and Background Check will be completed before a final review followed by request for passport.

May 20, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
14-06-2018
AOR Received.
30-07-2018
File Transfer...
29-08-2018
Med's Request
20-08-2018
Med's Done....
05-09-2018
Passport Req..
15-10-2018
When you check your Application Status in your online account.........what's the message for "Review of Eligibility" and "Background Check".

Your application will be in the final processing phase when you have these status messages below;

Review of eligibility and Background Check will be completed before a final review followed by request for passport.
I have those two messages and I’m a June 2018 applicant from a visa requiring country, they didn’t request medical yet and I did not receive transfer email nor AOR 2, so that’s why I don’t know what to think

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
You just applied in June 2018.....and need to be patient as you are just starting......IRCC will inform you if your sponsorship will be processed abroad or inside Canada.

Most straight forward Outland Spousal Sponsorship follow these process steps (the order of the steps may vary)
  1. Application received at IRCC Mississauga
  2. CIC Mississauga start processing application
  3. Receive Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR 1)
  4. Link Application to Online Account
  5. Upload Schedule A form
  6. Sponsor Approval and File transfer to VO
  7. VO starts processing PR application (AOR 2)
  8. Receive Request for Medical Exam
  9. Medical Exam @ IRCC Panel Physician Clinic
  10. Medical Exam Result
  11. Passport Request (PPR)
  12. Pick-up Permanent Residency Visa (PUM)
Spousal sponsorship process completion time varies depending on the Visa Office and on a case basis.......regardless of where your sponsorship is processed (abroad or inside Canada) will advice you assume process completion takes 12months to help reduce the waiting stress.......relax.....its a wait game.

Mrs sandhu

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Id

Sponsorship applications is processed on a case basis and depends on the visa office.......if your AOR is on 25th July 2017......you have almost completed 12months (25-July-2018)......will advice that you give IRCC 1week.......if nothing, them send an email to LVO.[/QUOTE. If in our gckey account shown
if

if 2 line is shown in our gckey what's d exact mean .

Application18

Nov 19, 2018
Hello,
My AOR date is 24th Oct, my medical got clear on 23rd Nov. Now my application status does not change.
Review of Eligibility- We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Background check says- Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check.

What does this mean? and how long this can take? if anyone can suggest, it would be of great help.
Thanks a lot.

Reactions: dorkismalorkis