+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

baby with ETA and PR parents - access to healthcare?

esperia

Feb 5, 2018
Hi,

Me and my husband are PR and are moving to Canada with our baby who was born abroad. We are from a visa exempt country so she will be entering with an ETA, and we will be sponsoring her for PR. I am worried about her access to healthcare while she waits for her PR that will take months.

I checked the requirements for healthcare in Ontario, and found the following:
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • under this requirement, your spouse and any dependents also qualify for OHIP if you do
This is not our exact situation, because we will not be on a valid work permit, but are PR's, but it is the most similar situation I could find. Would this apply to us? There is no information about dependent children of PR's.

Is there any way our 1 year old child could get access to healthcare while waiting for her PR?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Me and my husband are PR and are moving to Canada with our baby who was born abroad. We are from a visa exempt country so she will be entering with an ETA, and we will be sponsoring her for PR. I am worried about her access to healthcare while she waits for her PR that will take months.

• are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • under this requirement, your spouse and any dependents also qualify for OHIP if you do
This is not our exact situation, because we will not be on a valid work permit, but are PR's, but it is the most similar situation I could find. Would this apply to us? There is no information about dependent children of PR's.

Is there any way our 1 year old child could get access to healthcare while waiting for her PR?

Thank you!
To the best of my knowledge the only option available is to get private insurance coverage until your baby's PR is approved. I'm sure others will comment.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thank you!
Your only option is to pay for private health coverage for emergency care and pay for any routine care. Are you and your husband compliant with your ROs? That is necessary to sponsor if you don’t want to risk your status.

esperia

Feb 5, 2018
Your only option is to pay for private health coverage for emergency care and pay for any routine care. Are you and your husband compliant with your ROs? That is necessary to sponsor if you don’t want to risk your status.
Thank you, yes we are compliant with our RO.
I received the following response from OHIP:
"You have indicated that you are sponsoring your daughter for permanent residency. Once her application reaches the stage of approval where IRCC confirms that she meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residency in Canada, she will hold an OHIP-eligible immigration status as an AFP."

Do you have any idea how long it takes for IRCC to confirm she meets the requirements? I understand this should not be as long as actually becoming a PR.
Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, yes we are compliant with our RO.
I received the following response from OHIP:
"You have indicated that you are sponsoring your daughter for permanent residency. Once her application reaches the stage of approval where IRCC confirms that she meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residency in Canada, she will hold an OHIP-eligible immigration status as an AFP."

Do you have any idea how long it takes for IRCC to confirm she meets the requirements? I understand this should not be as long as actually becoming a PR.
Thanks.
This answer doesn't quite make sense.

This step is called AIP (approval in principle). However AIP is only issued with inland application (not outland applications). Only spouses can be sponsored inland. Dependent children sponsorship applications are treated as outland applications, even if the child is in Canada when sponsored.

Philly123

Jul 29, 2021
Recently went through the same thing. Took about 7 month from begining to end to get the eCOPR for my US born child. My wife's company provided OHIP's replacement through Manulife during the waiting period so he can get coverage, cost about $150 a month. Some hospital/doctor does not accept private insurance at all so we had to pay upfront for some visits, but were able to be reimbused by the insurance company. Good luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Recently went through the same thing. Took about 7 month from begining to end to get the eCOPR for my US born child. My wife's company provided OHIP's replacement through Manulife during the waiting period so he can get coverage, cost about $150 a month. Some hospital/doctor does not accept private insurance at all so we had to pay upfront for some visits, but were able to be reimbused by the insurance company. Good luck
Just want to clarify that this isn’t travel medical insurance thatonly covers emergencies. Routine care isn’t that expensive so you I would suggest paying for emergency medical insurance and paying for the rest out of pocket. We aren‘t sure when the 3 month wait period will return so you may need to add 3 months onto the wait time.

chinnap

Feb 19, 2018
Hi can you tell us the plan name. I understand you got it through your wifes employer but i want to see if its available in general.

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi can you tell us the plan name. I understand you got it through your wifes employer but i want to see if its available in general.

Thank you
Yes probably available but likely more expensive as an individual policy. In most cases you are better off paying for routine care.