+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby Car Seat Requirements.

optimus1509

Star Member
Oct 10, 2015
Hi, I was informed by one of my friends that taxis around the airport usually deny passengers who are travelling with a child but don't have a car seat for the child. Is this true? If yes i will need to get one. Please advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - it's illegal to transport a child in a car without a car seat.

optimus1509

Star Member
Oct 10, 2015
Thanks Scylla. However, I came across this link that says taxi drivers are exempt. Please can you give it a look, am i missing something here? I really don't want to go around buying a car seat if its not required, because the only time my child will probably use it is to get to the hotel from the airport. She is still a toddler and doesn't spend much time outdoors.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/choose-car-seat-faq.shtml

Q3: Are any drivers or vehicles exempt from Ontario's child car seat requirements?
Yes. The following drivers are exempt:
The driver of a taxicab, bus or public vehicle, while transporting a passenger for hire.
The driver of a motor vehicle that is registered in another jurisdiction and is in Ontario for 30 days or less is exempt from using booster seats until July 1, 2014.
The driver of an ambulance as defined in section 61 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Drivers of vehicles equipped with lap belts only are exempt from using booster seats.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
optimus1509 said:
Thanks Scylla. However, I came across this link that says taxi drivers are exempt. Please can you give it a look, am i missing something here? I really don't want to go around buying a car seat if its not required, because the only time my child will probably use it is to get to the hotel from the airport. She is still a toddler and doesn't spend much time outdoors.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/choose-car-seat-faq.shtml

Q3: Are any drivers or vehicles exempt from Ontario's child car seat requirements?
Yes. The following drivers are exempt:
The driver of a taxicab, bus or public vehicle, while transporting a passenger for hire.
The driver of a motor vehicle that is registered in another jurisdiction and is in Ontario for 30 days or less is exempt from using booster seats until July 1, 2014.
The driver of an ambulance as defined in section 61 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Drivers of vehicles equipped with lap belts only are exempt from using booster seats.
That's interesting.

Based on experience - I agree many taxis will refuse to take a child without a car seat. So it sounds like it's possible (i.e. legal) to go in a cab - but you may have a lot more problems finding a cab from the airport. I actually saw someone refused the last time I was there (i.e. at the airport). I would make arrangements in advance with an airport limo company and ensure the company picking you up knows you'll have a child and is OK with no car seat.

FYI - many/most hospitals in Ontario will not release a new born from the hospital unless the parents have a car seat in which to take the baby home - even if they are taking a cab home.

Child safety is taken very seriously here.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
I wouldn't buy a car seat in another country and take it with you either. Apparently the car seat has to be authorised in Canada.

We joked with my wife's cousin about the seat needing a Maple Leaf and she said yes it does. If you're pulled over by the police and the child seat isn't one authorised in Canada they may fine you.

ssoy

Jan 11, 2016
Let me weigh in here. We brought our car seat from home, good thing we did because we have used it immediately upon landing in the rental car and used it since. We were pulled over for minor speeding once, with me having the baby in my lap cos she was having a major meltdown. The officer gave us a hefty ticket for baby not being in the car seat but never attempted to check if the car seat is in accordance with Canadian standards (I think not), even after I secured her in. I highly doubt they would do that unless you pissed them off royally so they are looking for any excuse to fine you.
To my knowledge, taking taxis is an issue without a car seat, although I fail to see how anyone can carry around a giant heavy car seat after getting off a taxi and be in control of everything else, inc a toddler. Another typical example of making an already difficult life (meaning toddlers) harder in the name of safety. You best never go anywhere with a toddler unless you are driving here.

Reactions: duyguu

yvr1234

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
LANDED..........
29-10-2013
ssoy said:
Let me weigh in here. We brought our car seat from home, good thing we did because we have used it immediately upon landing in the rental car and used it since. We were pulled over for minor speeding once, with me having the baby in my lap cos she was having a major meltdown. The officer gave us a hefty ticket for baby not being in the car seat but never attempted to check if the car seat is in accordance with Canadian standards (I think not), even after I secured her in. I highly doubt they would do that unless you pissed them off royally so they are looking for any excuse to fine you.
To my knowledge, taking taxis is an issue without a car seat, although I fail to see how anyone can carry around a giant heavy car seat after getting off a taxi and be in control of everything else, inc a toddler. Another typical example of making an already difficult life (meaning toddlers) harder in the name of safety. You best never go anywhere with a toddler unless you are driving here.
I am not sure about other province. But in BC, if you are involved in any accident and if the child car seat is non-authorize in Canada or has expired, the accident may not be covered by ICBC.

Carrying a child on your lap in a car other than bus and trains are very unacceptable in Canada. (not only cops, other parents will look at you... )

Btw. many people take their kids in strollers on bus and train. Just try not to go at rush hour when there may not be enough room for stroller.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
yvr1234 said:
I am not sure about other province. But in BC, if you are involved in any accident and if the child car seat is non-authorize in Canada or has expired, the accident may not be covered by ICBC.

Carrying a child on your lap in a car other than bus and trains are very unacceptable in Canada. (not only cops, other parents will look at you... )

Btw. many people take their kids in strollers on bus and train. Just try not to go at rush hour when there may not be enough room for stroller.
I guess this is a cultural thing and one I've never quite understood in Hong Kong. We drive a lot ourselves and have a seat each for our children but I wouldn't say it's the norm, most of the time parents will hold their babies/toddlers in their arms.

I've even seen children standing in the middle leaning over the front.

we've always had seats because it's easier for us but as someone else pointed out if you're using taxis a lot (which is also done in HK as they are cheap) you don't want to carry around a massive car seat everywhere.

My previous post was actually related to BC and we thought that taking our approved car seats bought in the UK would be fine but my wife's cousin was adamant that if we're pulled over and the police check then we'll be facing a fine and most likely a long and tedious lecture from a mountie.

We've just decided to that anything with a maple leaf is fine haha

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
COPRQuestion said:
we've always had seats because it's easier for us but as someone else pointed out if you're using taxis a lot (which is also done in HK as they are cheap) you don't want to carry around a massive car seat everywhere.
Since most restaurants in Hong Kong doesn't have highchairs for toddlers, I have seen some parents brought their car seats in use as highchairs for their children.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
steaky said:
Since most restaurants in Hong Kong doesn't have highchairs for toddlers, I have seen some parents brought their car seats in use as highchairs for their children.
This is in fact getting much better, I think the sales person from Ikea has been on a massive sales drive on restaurants in HK and there are now a lot of restaurants that have high chairs. This isn't just the western restaurants, even the Chinese restaurants have high chairs.

Not just those crappy booster seats that they used to offer......

sxyshandy

Nov 22, 2014
Hi there -- cabs are insured and you're okay to ride with a child without a car seat.
I haven't tried riding a cab yet from the airport though, but around the city, it's just fine.
Uber, technically, you shouldn't ride without a car seat.
From the airport, I would only ever take aeroporttaxi.com and reserve a van with a car seat. Safety first!
If you're driving a private vehicle, always follow the car seat rules.