Med's Done....
16 Nov 16 (re-medical)
Passport Req..
22 Dec 16
VISA ISSUED...
06 Jan 17
LANDED..........
13 Jan 17
Lets say someone goes out of Canada on vacation etc and has an opps birth while there. Someone told me you need to apply for citizenship for the baby before the baby can come back to Canada with you, and that it can take 10 months or more! Does that mean you have to leave the child there for 10 months at the hospital or something? Or that you cant return yourself? Is there no temporary pass you can get for the baby just to get back to Canada and then register the birth? They ARE Canadian after all being born to Canadina parents!

My situation is a bit different though. I want a planned C section. I am petrified of natural birth and the damage it can cause so I want to plan c section before natural labour due date. Canada doctors are not keen on doing this so I'd like to do medical tourism in India where it is normal to plan c sections. But then how do I bring the baby back with me?? Do we really need to stay in India for over 10 months???

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
If you or your spouse is Canadian born or naturalized Canadian, your child born in India will have Canadian citizenship. You would not have to wait 10 months for child to leave India for Canada. You can leave much sooner than that.

You must submit two applications at the same time. One application will be "proof of canadian citizenship" and the other will be a canadian child passport application. The canadian embassy will see that the "proof of canadian citizenship" has been submitted and thus qualify for limited 2 year canadian passport for newborn.

Once you get your child has the limited Canadian passport, you can leave with child to Canada.

Rass

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
My wife is pregnant and want to get birth outside Canada.

During a few days , we will get our citizenship certificates.

What will happen!
Will our baby get his/her passport directly or should we wait for months?or what?

What procedure Should be taken ?

Can somebody highlight this issue and give us more information, because I'm really confused about this case?
Thanks

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rass said:
Hi,
My wife is pregnant and want to get birth outside Canada.

During a few days , we will get our citizenship certificates.

What will happen!
Will our baby get his/her passport directly or should we wait for months?or what?

What procedure Should be taken ?

Can somebody highlight this issue and give us more information, because I'm really confused about this case?
Thanks
The people who are planning to have children outside of Canada should be aware of one disadvantage: if that child then also has a child outside of Canada, that child (your grandchild) will not be a Canadian citizen.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
The people who are planning to have children outside of Canada should be aware of one disadvantage: if that child then also has a child outside of Canada, that child (your grandchild) will not be a Canadian citizen.
Yes. That is the point of the new law. It is not "really" a "disadvantage" for having children outside Canada. If the child grow up and decided to live a life and raise a family outside Canada, it is that person's choice. Why should that person have a right to pass on citizenship if that person no longer want to keep Canadian ties. If that person wants the child to have Canadian citizenship, he/she can sponsor the child for PR when he/she is ready to move back and settle in Canada again. Once in Canada, the child can apply for citizenship.

The old law allows the passing of citizenship through generations without limits, without having any physical ties to Canada. This can and has created Canadians of Convenience living outside Canada. (Think Canadian-Lebanese as such a case).

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Yes. That is the point of the new law. It is not "really" a "disadvantage" for having children outside Canada. If the child grow up and decided to live a life and raise a family outside Canada, it is that person's choice. Why should that person have a right to pass on citizenship if that person no longer want to keep Canadian ties. If that person wants the child to have Canadian citizenship, he/she can sponsor the child for PR when he/she is ready to move back and settle in Canada again. Once in Canada, the child can apply for citizenship.

The old law allows the passing of citizenship through generations without limits, without having any physical ties to Canada. This can and has created Canadians of Convenience living outside Canada. (Think Canadian-Lebanese as such a case).
Yes, it is a disadvantage to that child born outside of Canada, because he/she cannot pass citizenship on to his/her children who are also born outside of Canada. I'm not arguing as to the correctness of such a rule. I simply think those travelling away from Canada to give birth simply for convenience should be aware of this in advance.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
Yes, it is a disadvantage to that child born outside of Canada, because he/she cannot pass citizenship on to his/her children who are also born outside of Canada. I'm not arguing as to the correctness of such a rule. I simply think those travelling away from Canada to give birth simply for convenience should be aware of this in advance.
It doesnt make sense for a canadian to travel outside Canada to deliver a baby for convenience sake when it's free in canada.

The only convenience I can see is the hope that the child gets the birth country citizenship. Nothing more.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
screech339 said:
It doesnt make sense for a canadian to travel outside Canada to deliver a baby for convenience sake when it's free in canada.

The only convenience I can see is the hope that the child gets the birth country citizenship. Nothing more.
Giving birth abroad makes perfect sense because many people come from communal cultures where childbirth is a celebrated event, and is accompanied with rituals and traditions that are hard to follow here; and women want to give birth in the community they came from, with their relatives around them. Arguing that 'Canada has good hospitals, why leave?' is ignoring the important cultural and personal aspects of childbirth and reducing it to a medical event.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
nope said:
Giving birth abroad makes perfect sense because many people come from communal cultures where childbirth is a celebrated event, and is accompanied with rituals and traditions that are hard to follow here; and women want to give birth in the community they came from, with their relatives around them. Arguing that 'Canada has good hospitals, why leave?' is ignoring the important cultural and personal aspects of childbirth and reducing it to a medical event.
Again goes back to making a choice. If they want to do that out of cultural purposes, be prepared for the consequences of your choice. Be prepared for possible stateless child or having to start PR sponsorship of newborn.

Cultural tradition does not trump citizenship laws just because you made a choice.

Rass

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, Thats really disadvantage!
Thanks for who gives more info(;

I have toddler twins. They still young and their mom need more care.
We don't have any family here and its better for her ,kids and baby to be with her family:)
I can't leave my job for a long time to take care of them.
They need someone to do that . Nonoe can come to visit us for a long time.
My wife is considered as a high risk pregnancy need more help.
So noone could say that sth about keeping tie to Cabada or sth else that is out anyone business if i want to go to the moon and return back or not it up to me:)
Everyone knows the best thing for him or her to do regardless the disadvantage rules which sometime go against humanity ((:)

Good luck

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
It is only a disadvantage to those who don't want to be held accountable to their decisions or think the laws don't apply because its their choice or wants citizenship be passed on through generations.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
screech339 said:
Again goes back to making a choice. If they want to do that out of cultural purposes, be prepared for the consequences of your choice. Be prepared for possible stateless child or having to start PR sponsorship of newborn.

Cultural tradition does not trump citizenship laws just because you made a choice.
What are you talking about? You said something fairly nonsensical, asserting that there was no point in giving birth outside of Canada. I explained how birth, obviously, is an important cultural and communal event, and there are many reasons to do so. Now you're babbling about personal responsibility and consequences.

What do you even mean by writing 'cultural tradition does not trump citizenship laws"? Are you dumb enough to think someone here was arguing that? Isn't it obvious that people are posting this question because they want to do two things?

1) give birth where they want to, for a variety of valid reasons
2) figure out how to do so and have the child be a Canadian citizen

These are very easy to square with each other.

Do you just dislike immigrants (which raises the question of why you post here), or are you one of the people who can't abide being wrong?

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Rass said:
Well, Thats really disadvantage!
Thanks for who gives more info(;

I have toddler twins. They still young and their mom need more care.
We don't have any family here and its better for her ,kids and baby to be with her family:)
I can't leave my job for a long time to take care of them.
They need someone to do that . Nonoe can come to visit us for a long time.
My wife is considered as a high risk pregnancy need more help.
So noone could say that sth about keeping tie to Cabada or sth else that is out anyone business if i want to go to the moon and return back or not it up to me:)
Everyone knows the best thing for him or her to do regardless the disadvantage rules which sometime go against humanity ((:)

Good luck
Don't worry, this is obvious -- you'll be fine. When you get your citizenship certificates, your child will be a Canadian no matter where it is born. Give birth wherever you want, and arrange your lives as they fit you. Don't listen to anyone who lectures others who exercise normal Canadian freedoms.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
nope said:
What are you talking about? You said something fairly nonsensical, asserting that there was no point in giving birth outside of Canada. I explained how birth, obviously, is an important cultural and communal event, and there are many reasons to do so. Now you're babbling about personal responsibility and consequences.

What do you even mean by writing 'cultural tradition does not trump citizenship laws"? Are you dumb enough to think someone here was arguing that? Isn't it obvious that people are posting this question because they want to do two things?

1) give birth where they want to, for a variety of valid reasons
2) figure out how to do so and have the child be a Canadian citizen

These are very easy to square with each other.

Do you just dislike immigrants (which raises the question of why you post here), or are you one of the people who can't abide being wrong?
If people want to do things because its a cultural thing, by all means go ahead. It is their right, their choice. I have no issues with it. None whatsoever. But I have a problem with people thinking that have a right to pass their citizenship on just they made a choice that put them in a situation that doesn't allow them to pass it on. No one is above the law.

But they need to understand that by making that choice, be prepared for the consequences of that choice. That's all. Just because you made that choice, doesnt mean you have a right to pass on canadian citizenship because you made that choice.

Why should you blame the government if you decided to have a child outside Canada and end up having a child to sponsor for PR or worst stateless. You made the choice to leave Canada thus not the government's fault. I can understand blaming the government if you were forced to deliver a baby outside Canada and ended up having to sponsor your child for PR or have a stateless child.

A lot of people have a bad habit of blaming everyone else except themselves whenever their decision didn't end up the way they wanted or expected.