+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born outside Canada-childcare?

doravnovak

May 20, 2019
Hi Everyone

I understand that a baby of 2 PR parents born outside Canada needs to be sponsored from Canada. We are looking to settle permanently and start the sponsorship process, however I’m wondering how childcare/doctor well-visits work for a baby aged 1yr? I assume that the sponsorship takes quite a bit of time, but what happens with the baby during the sponsorship process? Shall I purchase some private insurance for her so that she can be checked regularly by the doctor? What is the policy for babies in Canada in terms of checkups, vaccination, social obligations etc?
If anyone had a similar situation, please advise. Am I supposed to stay at home with the baby until she gets the PR as I understand she is not entitled to childcare?

We are from visa-exempt country.
Thanks a lot!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone

I understand that a baby of 2 PR parents born outside Canada needs to be sponsored from Canada. We are looking to settle permanently and start the sponsorship process, however I’m wondering how childcare/doctor well-visits work for a baby aged 1yr? I assume that the sponsorship takes quite a bit of time, but what happens with the baby during the sponsorship process? Shall I purchase some private insurance for her so that she can be checked regularly by the doctor? What is the policy for babies in Canada in terms of checkups, vaccination, social obligations etc?
If anyone had a similar situation, please advise. Am I supposed to stay at home with the baby until she gets the PR as I understand she is not entitled to childcare?

Thanks a lot!
Depends on what province you are permanently relocating to. Does your child have a TRV or is from a visa exempt country? Are you compliant with your RO which is necessary to sponsor. If the province does not provide healthcare for the child without PR you'll need to take out private medical insurance that covers emergencies and pay out of pocket for well baby visits.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hi Everyone

Thanks a lot!
Private medical insurance would cover emergencies, while well visits would have to be paid out of pocket. The rate will depend on the city and the practice. Very broadly I would say 50-100 per visit + vaccinations cost which is probably in a similar range.
Visit frequency is typically every 6 months. You can check the vaccinations schedule on Health Canada's website (there are some variations between provinces). Obviously make sure to bring a copy of all vaccinations given to-date.
Worth mentioning is that some provinces may offer healthcare to the child while being sponsored, so check the specific province's website or give them a call (historically most didn't, but many changes have been introduced due to the COVID situation).

With regards to childcare, you can definitely enroll her in daycare and pay the full rate out of pocket, which is the only option in many places anyway. But if you're thinking of provinces where childcare can be highly subsidized (Quebec for example), then I believe you wouldn't have access to that subsidized rate or refund unless she gets her PR (again, rules can change so double check). However you would still have the option of a a private daycare at the full (unsubsidized) rates (which also vary widely).

Canada child benefit (the federal one) does not seem to be tied to the child's immigration status; i.e., as long as the PR parent(s) and the child are in Canada you should be able to apply for it. Eligibility rules for provincial programs (if any exist) would vary by province.

doravnovak

May 20, 2019
We are planning to relocate to BC, but it is not 100% decided yet. We are from a visa exempt country, so I believe all I need is to apply for ETA for her and then reapply in case she does not receive PR until the ETA expires..?
Do you know by heart which provices offer healthcare to a non-PR child?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are planning to relocate to BC, but it is not 100% decided yet. We are from a visa exempt country, so I believe all I need is to apply for ETA for her and then reapply in case she does not receive PR until the ETA expires..?
Do you know by heart which provices offer healthcare to a non-PR child?
BC and Alberta are the only ones I know and BC ,ay be temporary due to covid so not sure how long it may be in place. For example if you were in BC and got MSP you'd need to remain in BC for 6 months or else you could be asked to pay back any healthcare you used. For AB it is 12 months. There are specific residency requirements to qualify to receive healthcare even with a valid health card. The residency rules for healthcare are attempts to have provincial taxpayers qualify for healthcare and to prevent people from flying in just to get healthcare services with no intention of remaining permanently and paying taxes.