+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born in india

Spouswifey

Mar 26, 2016
Hi,

I have a question regarding citizenship and passport for India and Canada. If a baby is born in india to a Canadian father and Indian mother, I believe the baby can apply for Indian passport since the baby is indian. Baby is also Canadian since the naturalized Canadian father can pass Canadian citizenship to the baby. Once the baby gets the Indian passport, the baby can apply for Canadian citizenship certificate and Canadian passport. I believe the baby is dual citizen until 18 years of age. After 18 years, the baby gets to choose whether to keep Indian citizenship or Canadian citizenship because india do not allow dual citizenship for adults.
Are my above statements accurate or am I missing something? Can the baby hold both Indian passport and Canadian passport until 18 years of age?
Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hi,

I have a question regarding citizenship and passport for India and Canada. If a baby is born in india to a Canadian father and Indian mother, I believe the baby can apply for Indian passport since the baby is indian. Baby is also Canadian since the naturalized Canadian father can pass Canadian citizenship to the baby. Once the baby gets the Indian passport, the baby can apply for Canadian citizenship certificate and Canadian passport. I believe the baby is dual citizen until 18 years of age. After 18 years, the baby gets to choose whether to keep Indian citizenship or Canadian citizenship because india do not allow dual citizenship for adults.
Are my above statements accurate or am I missing something? Can the baby hold both Indian passport and Canadian passport until 18 years of age?
Thanks
1/ Your correct.

Reactions: Spouswifey

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Just got record. As per the Indian consulate, one cannot hold both Indian passport and foreign passport and this includes minors too
That’s obvious. India does not allow dual citizenship for anyone.
At 18 years of age, the child can decide whether to continue with Indian or Canadian passport. Until then you can choose to obtain a Canadian passport for ease of travel, at least that’s what I would do.

harryIsBrahmachari

Feb 26, 2015
India
Just got record. As per the Indian consulate, one cannot hold both Indian passport and foreign passport and this includes minors too
I am in similar situation.
So basically for baby we can apply ONLY ONE.
Either apply for Indian passport and then later decide for applying Canadian citizenship (before 18)
OR Apply for Canadian citizenship certificate --> Canadian passport --> and then OCI

Is that correct ?
Please reply.