+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born abroad - applied for proof citizenship 11 months ago, still nothing

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
  • Baby born in China to Canadian, applied Feb 2020 at consulate there for temporary passport and proof of citizenship. Passport issued no problem.
  • They said they will send the citizenship application to Canada via diplomatic bag, the address to send citizenship doc is in Canada.
  • Til now got no email or anything, I called IRCC and they searched baby's name and DOB, nothing comes up, said to ask consulate to check
  • Consulate says they know nothing about citizenship status as the put in diplomatic bag and send to Sydney.
  • Called back IRCC, told them, they checked again, still nothing, they said maybe lost, apply again.
  • I can apply again, but don't want to do paper application (fear of loss and long processing time), I can do online but fee payment problem, I have already paid for it online in Feb 2020 and printed that receipt (I still have pdf). I don't want to pay again online when I apply (they force you), they don't give you an option to say "I've already paid, here's my receipt number". And I doubt they'd refund my first payment (Feb 2020) after the fact.
So what should I do?
  • Isn't 11 months a bit long to have nothing in the system?
  • If I apply again online is it worth it to pay $75 again?
  • Anything else?
Thanks

flower27

Jan 16, 2021
I waited more than a year to receive my daughters citizenship. She was also born outside Canada. I had to email them many times. Such inefficient process. Sorry you also have to go through this. Keep emailing for more information.

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
I waited more than a year to receive my daughters citizenship. She was also born outside Canada. I had to email them many times. Such inefficient process. Sorry you also have to go through this. Keep emailing for more information.
Thanks for letting me know, when did you apply? Curious because of Covid. Also when you emailed/called IRCC did they also say "not found", and at which month did you enquire?

allcr

Sep 1, 2020
Really eh, have you been able to see the status on a phone call with IRCC or online?
We have not got the AOR yet. Accordingly there isn't open case for our apllication in IRCC system. We don't have UCI number for my son or File Number for the application. Because of that we can't check a status of application online or by IRCC call-center.

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
We have not got the AOR yet. Accordingly there isn't open case for our apllication in IRCC system. We don't have UCI number for my son or File Number for the application. Because of that we can't check a status of application online or by IRCC call-center.
Yep exactly my same situation, well glad to see that it can't be they lost it as it's happening to at least 1-2 other people.

Asinai marion

Jan 22, 2020
Uganda
Category........
Other
Same to me here my daughters were born in Uganda .I applied through a consultant I. Feb 2020 but up to now still nothing

kubrickian

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
Timeline for my son:
  1. Feb 2020 – submitted application to the embassy
  2. Mar 2020 – application arrived at CPC-Sydney
  3. Dec 2020 – AOR
Embassy told me 18 months is the baseline during covid-19 :(

kubrickian

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
  • Baby born in China to Canadian, applied Feb 2020 at consulate there for temporary passport and proof of citizenship. Passport issued no problem.
  • They said they will send the citizenship application to Canada via diplomatic bag, the address to send citizenship doc is in Canada.
  • Til now got no email or anything, I called IRCC and they searched baby's name and DOB, nothing comes up, said to ask consulate to check
  • Consulate says they know nothing about citizenship status as the put in diplomatic bag and send to Sydney.
  • Called back IRCC, told them, they checked again, still nothing, they said maybe lost, apply again.
  • I can apply again, but don't want to do paper application (fear of loss and long processing time), I can do online but fee payment problem, I have already paid for it online in Feb 2020 and printed that receipt (I still have pdf). I don't want to pay again online when I apply (they force you), they don't give you an option to say "I've already paid, here's my receipt number". And I doubt they'd refund my first payment (Feb 2020) after the fact.
So what should I do?
  • Isn't 11 months a bit long to have nothing in the system?
  • If I apply again online is it worth it to pay $75 again?
  • Anything else?
Thanks
Where are you applying from?

I also questioned whether the application was lost, the embassy told me it's very very rare if not impossible, and just asked me to wait. 1 month later I got the AOR.

They told me at that time to wait until April 2021, call them again if still nothing.

Cancelling and reapplying will add another 1-2 year again to your timeline at least, perhaps better just wait until April and push again.

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Where are you applying from?

I also questioned whether the application was lost, the embassy told me it's very very rare if not impossible, and just asked me to wait. 1 month later I got the AOR.

They told me at that time to wait until April 2021, call them again if still nothing.

Cancelling and reapplying will add another 1-2 year again to your timeline at least, perhaps better just wait until April and push again.
I applied from China. Yes good advice to wait as I called IRCC again yesterday and this time the agent said that according to her calls she gets, it looks like Jan 2020 applicants are just getting AOR around now, so she said wait at least another month and then call back if no AOR.

Question: how did you know when the application arrived in Sydney? As my one told me that it went via diplomatic bag and not publicly trackable.

kubrickian

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
I applied from China. Yes good advice to wait as I called IRCC again yesterday and this time the agent said that according to her calls she gets, it looks like Jan 2020 applicants are just getting AOR around now, so she said wait at least another month and then call back if no AOR.

Question: how did you know when the application arrived in Sydney? As my one told me that it went via diplomatic bag and not publicly trackable.
Good, hope you'll get the AOR soon! You can only know the date when the application arrived when you get the AOR, it'll be in the details of your application status. Let's keep each other updated!

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Good, hope you'll get the AOR soon! You can only know the date when the application arrived when you get the AOR, it'll be in the details of your application status. Let's keep each other updated!
For sure, thanks for the input for all of us in this thread.

mclarengtrf1

May 9, 2015
I applied for daughter born outside Canada but we are now in Canada applied in August, have not heard anything I guess we are not even close