+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

B1/B2 visa by road and online application

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
Hello Members,

Need your advise and I am novice on this area.

I wanted to apply for US B1/B2 visa online and hoping to get interview date by around late of 2022 as per current scenario.

My wife would be there in month of March as a Visitor and her cousin's wedding is there in July. So she asked me if I can travel by car to border and ask for visitor visa for USA with wedding invitation card, chances are there. I am not sure how worth it is... But let's suppose I try that, what are the formalities at border to get visa?

Another query is, my application would be already there in system as I applied for it online and waiting for interview in late 2022. Can I do that, any issue in that case?

Thank you.

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
Hello Members,

I wanted to apply for US B1/B2 visa online and hoping to get interview date by around late of 2022 as per current scenario.

My wife would be there in month of March as a Visitor and her cousin's wedding is there in July. So she asked me if I can travel by car to border and ask for visitor visa for USA with wedding invitation card, chances are there. I am not sure how worth it is... But let's suppose I try that, what are the formalities at border to get visa?

Another query is, my application would be already there in system as I applied for it online and waiting for interview in late 2022. Can I do that, any issue in that case?

Thank you.
Any help would be appreciated guys. if anyone has gone through such scenario.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Members,

Thank you.
You mean ask for one at the border? No, that's definitely not possible. You're going to be turned back. There are no formalities for this.

I personally wouldn't even try it. There's zero chance you can get a visa issue at the border and you risk p*ssing off border officers. Bad idea.

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
You mean ask for one at the border? No, that's definitely not possible. You're going to be turned back. There are no formalities for this.

I personally wouldn't even try it. There's zero chance you can get a visa issue at the border and you risk p*ssing off border officers. Bad idea.
Thank you for quick response Scylla. US visa is totally new are for me and don't wanna take any risk. When I landed as PR in Canada in 2020, I thought to wait for at least year or two have income tax filled, have good job and then to apply, so it would reduce any chances of US Visa rejection.

But COVID has starched interview timeline so far, which led me to get visa via boarder. I heard of many people saying that if you have good canadian history and genuine purpose to visit US, you would be granted US B2 visa.

But as you have mentioned, I don't think to take a risk.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for quick response Scylla. US visa is totally new are for me and don't wanna take any risk. When I landed as PR in Canada in 2020, I thought to wait for at least year or two have income tax filled, have good job and then to apply, so it would reduce any chances of US Visa rejection.

But COVID has starched interview timeline so far, which led me to get visa via boarder. I heard of many people saying that if you have good canadian history and genuine purpose to visit US, you would be granted US B2 visa.

But as you have mentioned, I don't think to take a risk.

Thank you.
It's true that a strong profile gives you a good chance of being approved. But you can't get one at the border. This is a non-starter.

chaudri

Feb 1, 2015
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2016
AOR Received.
08-07-2017
Med's Done....
11-06-2017
Passport Req..
31-08-2017
LANDED..........
23 April 2018
Any help would be appreciated guys. if anyone has gone through such scenario.
US visit visa's are issued ONLY by Embassy or Consulates, there is no option or possibility to show up at the border and get a US visa.

The only way is to fill out a DS-160 form, book the next available appointment and wait for your visa interview.

Like someone mentioned above, if you try this at the border you will be sent back (could have other repercussions too but I am not sure about those)

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
US visit visa's are issued ONLY by Embassy or Consulates, there is no option or possibility to show up at the border and get a US visa.

The only way is to fill out a DS-160 form, book the next available appointment and wait for your visa interview.

Like someone mentioned above, if you try this at the border you will be sent back (could have other repercussions too but I am not sure about those)
Sounds good. Thanks for your advice buddy. I really appreciate it. let me quickly fill up application and see what interview date I can get :)

Would I be able to change date and location of interview if I see reduced time in other Canadian province after I already selected date for Toronto ?

chaudri

Feb 1, 2015
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2016
AOR Received.
08-07-2017
Med's Done....
11-06-2017
Passport Req..
31-08-2017
LANDED..........
23 April 2018
Sounds good. Thanks for your advice buddy. I really appreciate it. let me quickly fill up application and see what interview date I can get :)

Would I be able to change date and location of interview if I see reduced time in other Canadian province after I already selected date for Toronto ?
yes, you can reschedule for a different location or time as and when it becomes available.

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
Do you think there will be any issues after we change our location from Toronto to Calgary. Do we need to update out DS-160 form. As it’s already showing Toronto location. Or it will be fine.
Thank you
I am not expert in this area but as per my research you can change it. There might be some delay to pull out your information but you can surely go for it.

Sanjida29

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
I am not expert in this area but as per my research you can change it. There might be some delay to pull out your information but you can surely go for it.
Thank you for your reply. I call usa Toronto consular they asked me to fill new DS-160. They advise what need to be done.
thank you so much

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
Thank you for your reply. I call usa Toronto consular they asked me to fill new DS-160. They advise what need to be done.
thank you so much
That's quite weird. You can take reference of this link of US govt site.

https://vn.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/frequently-asked-questions-nonimmigrant-visas/#:~:text=If you wish to change,bring to the visa interview.

It clearly mentions as below:
"If you wish to change your interview location, a new form DS-160 is not required. The Embassy or Consulate at which you actually apply can access your form using the barcode on your DS-160 confirmation page, which you must bring to the visa interview. However, accessing a DS-160 submitted to a different location requires extra time, so you may encounter significant delays if you appear for an interview with a DS-160 submitted to a different location. Unfortunately, we are unable to predict the duration of these delays."

Sanjida29

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
That's quite weird. You can take reference of this link of US govt site.

https://vn.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/frequently-asked-questions-nonimmigrant-visas/#:~:text=If you wish to change,bring to the visa interview.

It clearly mentions as below:
"If you wish to change your interview location, a new form DS-160 is not required. The Embassy or Consulate at which you actually apply can access your form using the barcode on your DS-160 confirmation page, which you must bring to the visa interview. However, accessing a DS-160 submitted to a different location requires extra time, so you may encounter significant delays if you appear for an interview with a DS-160 submitted to a different location. Unfortunately, we are unable to predict the duration of these delays."
Right i saw the same online but when i called they told me to fill new DS160 and gave me an email address to fix it from there side.

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
Right i saw the same online but when i called they told me to fill new DS160 and gave me an email address to fix it from there side.
So if you gonna fill new DS 160 , it will be new reference number and fees to be paid again? Not sure if I am missing anything here?