+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Awaiting Oath - petition to House of Commons

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
I hope this is not like opening Pandora’s box.

Given the recent announcement about the delays and the number of applicants stuck in a limbo, I am proposing a public petition to the House of Commons to put a pause on any new immigration applications ie pause IRCC from accepting any new applications from those considering to immigrate to Canada from outside Canada. I am not proposing that this apply to anyone who is already in Canada especially international students who could be severely impacted by something like this.

The proposed pause should be in effect till IRCC is able to effectively bring down the wait times to at least pre-Covid levels.
I believe that there is no merit in adding more applicants to the pool if they are struggling to cope with the current load.

This will not be the first time that this will happen. If I recall correctly, sometime around 2008-9, then CIC en masse cancelled pending applications and asked people to apply again.

60000 individuals are awaiting oath without a clear road map for closure, some for close to a year! Many of these 60k will have a range of important issues to take decisions on, so we could all do without this additional stress.

I don’t know if this needs legal advice, but HoC website says it takes 25 individuals to lodge a petition.
This is not to the Government, but to the House of Commons for the greater good.
Maybe nothing will come out of it, but at least it will bring the issue to the limelight. Or maybe it will put pressure on the government to take more concrete action if they are unable to meet their annual immigration targets.

Food for thought. Happy to hear your thoughts. Feel free to agree or disagree, but please be civil in dialogue.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I hope this is not like opening Pandora’s box.

Given the recent announcement about the delays and the number of applicants stuck in a limbo, I am proposing a public petition to the House of Commons to put a pause on any new immigration applications ie pause IRCC from accepting any new applications from those considering to immigrate to Canada from outside Canada. I am not proposing that this apply to anyone who is already in Canada especially international students who could be severely impacted by something like this.

The proposed pause should be in effect till IRCC is able to effectively bring down the wait times to at least pre-Covid levels.
I believe that there is no merit in adding more applicants to the pool if they are struggling to cope with the current load.

This will not be the first time that this will happen. If I recall correctly, sometime around 2008-9, then CIC en masse cancelled pending applications and asked people to apply again.

60000 individuals are awaiting oath without a clear road map for closure, some for close to a year! Many of these 60k will have a range of important issues to take decisions on, so we could all do without this additional stress.

I don’t know if this needs legal advice, but HoC website says it takes 25 individuals to lodge a petition.
This is not to the Government, but to the House of Commons for the greater good.
Maybe nothing will come out of it, but at least it will bring the issue to the limelight. Or maybe it will put pressure on the government to take more concrete action if they are unable to meet their annual immigration targets.

Food for thought. Happy to hear your thoughts. Feel free to agree or disagree, but please be civil in dialogue.
My only advice is to make the petition well worded. Don't go overboard on length. Keep emotions out and keep if factual. Make the call to action clear and feasible.

Certainly worth a try.

Good luck!

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
My only advice is to make the petition well worded. Don't go overboard on length. Keep emotions out and keep if factual. Make the call to action clear and feasible.

Certainly worth a try.

Good luck!
Thanks. Noted.
Since photocopies of signatures are not accepted, I can try to coordinate for those who are with the Mississauga office.

Calling all Mississauga applicants who are at DM but have no progress on Oath. Please reach out via PM if you would like to connect. Need a minimum of 25 individuals to sign.

Please bear in mind that you would have to share your legal name and address apart from the application number. We can set up a WhatsApp group for this.
I am so tired with this stressful wait that I’m willing to give it a shot.

@berabad @sjgolfer014 @Aquarius93 @maniacworld

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
This sounds like pulling up the ladder after you've climbed up. Look, we're quite privileged, I get citizenship is important to travel freely and to access certain jobs but let's keep some perspective. We're permanent residents. For all intents and purposes, we're like citizens. We can come and go as we wish, hold most jobs and access public services. You're asking the government to deny others the very same opportunity you had to come to this country.

That said, you should go ahead with this but keep it respectful and be mindful of your privilege. Keep it factual and brief

Reactions: Franko72

trendtrader

May 31, 2017
Hi

i might be wrong, but as far as IRCC as an organization is concerned, the part that processes cit apps is totally different from the part which processes PR apps. The cit apps are processed by local offices called the Domestic Network, whereas EE PR is done by CPC Ottawa or the foreign visa offices.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi

i might be wrong, but as far as IRCC as an organization is concerned, the part that processes cit apps is totally different from the part which processes PR apps. The cit apps are processed by local offices called the Domestic Network, whereas EE PR is done by CPC Ottawa or the foreign visa offices.
Resource allocation at IRCC could be done. I am sure personnel are trained equally well (or badly!) to process different types of applications.

@americanidiot : I'd disagree that this is pulling up the ladder. It's not denying anyone a chance or barring them from Canada; it's prioritization. Desperate times call for desperate measures, because in the short term, it would be near impossible for IRCC to hire more resources, and ask for additional resources at CBSA/RCMP/CSIS etc to respond faster and facilitate processing. If they keep adding to the pool and continue to process at the same rate, the backlog will never clear up. I hope I am able to gather 25 DM candidates in Mississauga but going by the response so far, the chances of this seeing the light of day is close to zero!

mohoozee

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
This sounds like pulling up the ladder after you've climbed up. Look, we're quite privileged, I get citizenship is important to travel freely and to access certain jobs but let's keep some perspective. We're permanent residents. For all intents and purposes, we're like citizens. We can come and go as we wish, hold most jobs and access public services. You're asking the government to deny others the very same opportunity you had to come to this country.

That said, you should go ahead with this but keep it respectful and be mindful of your privilege. Keep it factual and brief
Respectfully, I disagree. I don't see how calling for a pause in new application intakes equates "pulling up the ladder" as @akbardxb is not calling for the cancellation of the program altogether. A situation where IRCC keeps receiving thousands of applications per month but can only process a fraction of those neither helps the new applicants nor the existing ones. I personally would prefer a situation where the processing timelines are strictly adhered to even if it means my application is delayed to process those before me (as if affords me the opportunity to adequately plan my life) rather the "anything goes" situation we currently find ourselves in.

Having said that, I agree with @trendtrader that a pause in new express entry application intakes doesn't necessarily mean there will be a faster processing of citizenship applications as the two are processed by separate units within IRCC.

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
Respectfully, I disagree. I don't see how calling for a pause in new application intakes equates "pulling up the ladder" as @akbardxb is not calling for the cancellation of the program altogether. A situation where IRCC keeps receiving thousands of applications per month but can only process a fraction of those neither helps the new applicants nor the existing ones. I personally would prefer a situation where the processing timelines are strictly adhered to even if it means my application is delayed to process those before me (as if affords me the opportunity to adequately plan my life) rather the "anything goes" situation we currently find ourselves in.

Having said that, I agree with @trendtrader that a pause in new express entry application intakes doesn't necessarily mean there will be a faster processing of citizenship applications as the two are processed by separate units within IRCC.
They should certainly have a pause in accepting new applications for citizenship until they have cleared the existing backlogs.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Looks like the government of Canada is already spending more money than what they are making ( at least for year March 2021) according to the Ircc's financial report below. Stop receiving new applications until the backlog is cleared or the wait time is reduced ( which none of us or even Ircc has no idea when this will happen) means no revenues or very less revenues for Ircc.
I personally think this will never happen, no harm in trying thought.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Consolidated Statement of Operations and Departmental Net Financial Position (unaudited)
For the Year Ended March 31

(in thousands of dollars)
Planned results
Expenses
Immigrant and Refugee Selection and Integration2,278,9682,377,1882,464,184
Citizenship and Passports543,167458,547460,802
Visitors, International Students
and Temporary Workers
Internal Services243,735360,791312,559
Expenses incurred on behalf of Government(1,014)--
Total expenses3,521,3383,584,0723,699,594
Revenues
Immigration service fees1,046,538340,892766,298
Immigration rights and privileges174,95595,096163,467
Passport fees313,08052,703274,885
Citizenship service fees116,52827,161113,351
Right of citizenship20,6534,43619,730
Passport miscellaneous revenues250224236
International Experience Canada9,938-8,787
Other revenues1,1439513,814
Revenues earned on behalf of Government(1,359,817)(468,496)(1,066,649)
Total revenues323,26852,967283,919

Reactions: bellaluna

scuba ken

Star Member
May 13, 2013
Looks like the government of Canada is already spending more money than what they are making ( at least for year March 2021) according to the Ircc's financial report below. Stop receiving new applications until the backlog is cleared or the wait time is reduced ( which none of us or even Ircc has no idea when this will happen) means no revenues or very less revenues for Ircc.
I personally think this will never happen, no harm in trying thought.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Consolidated Statement of Operations and Departmental Net Financial Position (unaudited)
For the Year Ended March 31

(in thousands of dollars)
Planned results
Expenses
Immigrant and Refugee Selection and Integration2,278,9682,377,1882,464,184
Citizenship and Passports543,167458,547460,802
Visitors, International Students
and Temporary Workers
Internal Services243,735360,791312,559
Expenses incurred on behalf of Government(1,014)--
Total expenses3,521,3383,584,0723,699,594
Revenues
Immigration service fees1,046,538340,892766,298
Immigration rights and privileges174,95595,096163,467
Passport fees313,08052,703274,885
Citizenship service fees116,52827,161113,351
Right of citizenship20,6534,43619,730
Passport miscellaneous revenues250224236
International Experience Canada9,938-8,787
Other revenues1,1439513,814
Revenues earned on behalf of Government(1,359,817)(468,496)(1,066,649)
Total revenues323,26852,967283,919
Nothing different from how the rest of the economy is doing.
9 trillion in debt and climbing
are we sure about where we want to live LoL (This is a joke by the way, please feel free to go away if this offends you)

Reactions: Franko72