+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AVR rule question - Day 1 CPT

dauntless84

Sep 25, 2017
Hi all,

I am currently on Day 1 CPT. My F1 Visa has been expired since 5 years. I carry a valid I-20 which has a program end date as of Dec 2020.

I intend to move to Canada, but first, I want to do a soft landing. Looking at many forums, I see success stories, which is a good thing. However, I am not 100% confident if AVR rule works or not. My Lawyers tell me it is fine.

Did it work for any of you guys? Should I be worried?

My University is Harrisbrg.

Niroop

Divya601

Dec 4, 2019
Hi all,

I am currently on Day 1 CPT. My F1 Visa has been expired since 5 years. I carry a valid I-20 which has a program end date as of Dec 2020.

I intend to move to Canada, but first, I want to do a soft landing. Looking at many forums, I see success stories, which is a good thing. However, I am not 100% confident if AVR rule works or not. My Lawyers tell me it is fine.

Niroop
Hi Niroop,

I am also in the same boat. Have u received any info on this

indpnv

Mar 16, 2018
United States
Hi all,

Niroop
It's fine, as long as you have a valid I-20 (for F-1) or I-797 + I-94 (for H1) you can go to Canada or Mexico (Other countries like Bahamas also for F-1) for <30 days and re-enter US with an expired visa that's stamped on your passport.

Here are the links:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html

https://www.ice.gov/sevis/travel#_Toc81222015

DHP260592

Jan 2, 2020
Hi all,

Niroop
Hi,

My F-1 is expired and currently enrolled in 2nd MS and on day 1 CPT. I plan to do softlanding on March 2nd. Did you end up going for AVR? Can you please share your AVR experience? What questions & documents did the border personnel ask?

Your response is highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Deep

DHP260592

Jan 2, 2020
Hi Niroop,

I am also in the same boat. Have u received any info on this
Hi,
My F-1 is expired and currently enrolled in 2nd MS and on day 1 CPT. I plan to do softlanding on March 2nd. Did you end up going for AVR? Can you please share your AVR experience? What questions & documents did the border personnel ask?

Your response is highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Deep

chancan

Jan 6, 2020
Philadelphia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
In the same boat. Expired F1, Day 1 CPT, and expiring CoPR by mid-August 2020. What happened to you guys!! Any luck crossing the border and back to the States. Keep updating for us people & yes, stay safe!!

dauntless84

Sep 25, 2017
@dauntless84 did AVR on day 1 CPT work out? I am on the same boat and already in Canada. I will be making an attempt by end of this month.
It worked fine. Dont get concerned about all this man. Your Papers are valid and there is no question from the concerned officers to double check etc. People talk on forums, etc, if your papers are good F1, you shud be fine.

Goodluck!

kranthi646464

Apr 15, 2020
Am planning to complete my landing and return back to US the same day. Am doing 2nd masters and on Day 1 CPT.
If I return the same day do I get the SIN number the same day ?

Any inputs from the members.

padmavis1990

Apr 17, 2020
First of all, thank you @dauntless84 / @isaacpriyan. I came back with no issues. In fact, I spent most of my time explaining to the ticket check-in counter and only 2 minutes at CBP. My immigration was complete in Toronto and I just walked straight out of the airport once I landed in the states.

@kranthi646464 to answer your question, no coming back the same day might not be an issue (depends on how you enter Canada - land/air/sea). However, you cannot get SIN on the same day. You'll need to self isolate for 14 days before you can go to 'Service Canda' to apply for your SIN. You can also apply for SIN online, but you'll need address proof for that, and for address proof, you'll need to open a bank account (up to my understanding).

Returning with your I20 (with travel signature), and even an expired visa stamping on your passport is not a problem as long as you return within 30 days. Just make sure you read through AVR process on CBP website.

kranthi646464

Apr 15, 2020
First of all, thank you @dauntless84 / @isaacpriyan. I came back with no issues. In fact, I spent most of my time explaining to the ticket check-in counter and only 2 minutes at CBP. My immigration was complete in Toronto and I just walked straight out of the airport once I landed in the states.

@kranthi646464 to answer your question, no coming back the same day might not be an issue (depends on how you enter Canada - land/air/sea). However, you cannot get SIN on the same day. You'll need to self isolate for 14 days before you can go to 'Service Canda' to apply for your SIN. You can also apply for SIN online, but you'll need address proof for that, and for address proof, you'll need to open a bank account (up to my understanding).

Returning with your I20 (with travel signature), and even an expired visa stamping on your passport is not a problem as long as you return within 30 days. Just make sure you read through AVR process on CBP website.

@padmavis1990 Thanks for the reply. Can I know when did you do your landing and on what was your visa status in the US while returning back.
I read somewhere that we can get the SIN number the same day while doing the landing . Isn't this correct ?

padmavis1990

Apr 17, 2020
@padmavis1990 Thanks for the reply. Can I know when did you do your landing and on what was your visa status in the US while returning back.
I read somewhere that we can get the SIN number the same day while doing the landing . Isn't this correct ?
I landed on 02/Sep/2020 at Toronto Pearson. SIN offices onsite have been closed for a while now. May have been opened and I am not aware. I returned on 29/Sep/2020. I am on F1 visa doing my doctorate and my visa stamp on my passport had expired sometime in June'20. Hope this helps