+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Average monthly living expenses in Calgary???

amaniziad

Star Member
Sep 26, 2011
i heard that the weather in Calgary is severe in winter ... how can children go to school or people go to work in these conditions ... pla dvice ... how is transport if i am not having a car ....

also would like to ask about the safest place to live in calgary as a single mother with a kid , and how eay to find a job since i am an admin professional...

Gravity

May 18, 2010
Hello everyone,
I want to know whats the best place for a single lady to live in calgary, one bedroom apartment in a reasonable place ? and also tell cost of living /month, these days ?

thanks

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
Hi ,
Can you please tell about NW , NE etc areas .
As i read lot people saying that live in NW or NE etc but what is up and downs of those area .

What about Asian (Indian / Pak ) population and shops in those area.

Transport , schools and housing cost in each area .

How is winter life there and how did people came from asian country react to first winter .

drmishty

May 23, 2012
Hi,

my husband and me are looking at making PR landing at Calgary in August. It will be great if we cud fix a place in Calgary to move to, before landing. Any suggestions who cud help me find a place. Any words of advice, pointers to keep in mind.

Your perspectives will be very helpful.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Aquib said:
Hi ,
Can you please tell about NW , NE etc areas .
As i read lot people saying that live in NW or NE etc but what is up and downs of those area .

What about Asian (Indian / Pak ) population and shops in those area.

Transport , schools and housing cost in each area .

How is winter life there and how did people came from asian country react to first winter .

hello again, can any one please describe in brief about diffrent areas of calgary - NW , SW, NE etc. which is best for Indian or Paki family , pos and cons for those areas , schools and jobs. Please anyone who landing during Aug 2012 get in touch with me as we looking for a Indian/Paki couple with 1-2 small children to share house , in that case we can rent 4 bedroom house which will comes cheaper then renting 2 bedroom flat if not then i am looking for temperory accomodation for 1 month till we sort out anything after landing .

ja77

Mar 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Aquib said:
hello again, can any one please describe in brief about diffrent areas of calgary - NW , SW, NE etc. which is best for Indian or Paki family , pos and cons for those areas , schools and jobs. Please anyone who landing during Aug 2012 get in touch with me as we looking for a Indian/Paki couple with 1-2 small children to share house , in that case we can rent 4 bedroom house which will comes cheaper then renting 2 bedroom flat if not then i am looking for temperory accomodation for 1 month till we sort out anything after landing .
we are a pakistani family with three small children living in dubai thinking to land in september most probably... we are still confused if we should land in toronto? or calgary? i am interested to go to calgary, but don't know much about calgary so i would also be interested to know more about calgary. by the way, how much is the per month rent for big 3-4 bedroom house on average.. any idea?

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
ja77 said:
we are a pakistani family with three small children living in dubai thinking to land in september most probably... we are still confused if we should land in toronto? or calgary? i am interested to go to calgary, but don't know much about calgary so i would also be interested to know more about calgary. by the way, how much is the per month rent for big 3-4 bedroom house on average.. any idea?
No idea mate , but it will definately much cheaper then having 1-2 bedroom house as 4 bedroom house rent definately not double then 2 bed . Plus other things will cost cheaper like Broadband , TV , prop tax if any , utility bills etc .

bizzaro

Mar 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10, 2012
AOR Received.
May 26, 2012
Med's Request
May 26, 2012
Med's Done....
June 26, 2012 (SUBMITTED TO CEM)
VISA ISSUED...
OCT 3, 2012
LANDED..........
NOV 8, 2012
amaniziad said:
i heard that the weather in Calgary is severe in winter ... how can children go to school or people go to work in these conditions ... pla dvice ... how is transport if i am not having a car ....

also would like to ask about the safest place to live in calgary as a single mother with a kid , and how eay to find a job since i am an admin professional...
I am also interested about this concern. Me and wife will be coming to calgary this august for a temporary work permit.. I'm just concerned about how do we deal with the weather during the winter season..We are from asia, Philippines and are used to tropical weather. Same with amaniziad, I'm having concern how to deal with the weather if I don't have a car?.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bizzaro said:
I am also interested about this concern. Me and wife will be coming to calgary this august for a temporary work permit.. I'm just concerned about how do we deal with the weather during the winter season..We are from asia, Philippines and are used to tropical weather. Same with amaniziad, I'm having concern how to deal with the weather if I don't have a car?.
If you don't have a car, just pay more attention on schedule/timing of public transit and shop for warm clothes.

I have no experience with Albertan winters but I think Manitoban and Northern Ontario winters are similar.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
bizzaro said:
Hi ,

Nothing to worry ,there are many people living in Calgary who dont own a car and are still alive :):).Here the warm clothes are very good to keep you safely warm.Infact most of the people who work in downtown,(even who have a car)use public transport as the parking is very very expensive in downtown so just relax and get some good warm clothes and you ll be fine.

Hope it helps!

bizzaro

Mar 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10, 2012
AOR Received.
May 26, 2012
Med's Request
May 26, 2012
Med's Done....
June 26, 2012 (SUBMITTED TO CEM)
VISA ISSUED...
OCT 3, 2012
LANDED..........
NOV 8, 2012
newcomer said:
Hi ,

Nothing to worry ,there are many people living in Calgary who dont own a car and are still alive :):).Here the warm clothes are very good to keep you safely warm.Infact most of the people who work in downtown,(even who have a car)use public transport as the parking is very very expensive in downtown so just relax and get some good warm clothes and you ll be fine.

Hope it helps!
;D ;D hehe thanks..I was worried I might froze to death..Good thing you mentioned "they are still alive" ;D ;D

hiema581

Jun 1, 2010
Alexandria, Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2010
Doc's Request.
04-03-2010
AOR Received.
16-05-2010
File Transfer...
09-03-2010
Med's Request
18-03-2012
Med's Done....
26-04-2012
Passport Req..
28-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2012
LANDED..........
02-09-2012
Hello fellows,
I am intending to land in Calgary in September.
I guess that a family of two young couple can live comfortably with something between 2,500 and 3,000 dollars/month

The breakdown as follows:
Rent = 800 - 1000
Utilities + TV + Internet + Cellphones = $300
Vehicle Maintenance + Insurance + Gas = $500
Groceries = $600 - $800
Leisure and recreation = $500

Now, the thing is that 3000 per month means a net annual income (after tax) of 36k which is 50k-55k gross (before tax)

This is not an easy figure for a new immigrant to earn, as most of the survival jobs available will get you something around 35K (gross)

So either you have to have some savings that can get you through this transitional period, or to share expense with your partner (wife) if she can work a full or a part time job.

It's a critical stage, and requires a good plan in hand... Please share your opinions and comments as I would love to hear different points of view on that matter.

ayan30

May 23, 2012
Hi folks,

If I get into a lease agreement of 1 year/6 months, but need to relocate (egs: job related) before the expiry of the lease, what is the course of action?
Would serving a notice period suffice?
If so, what is the general notice period duration?
Are there any penalty amounts involved?

Please advice.

Regards,
Ayan

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
ayan30 said:
Hi folks,

If I get into a lease agreement of 1 year/6 months, but need to relocate (egs: job related) before the expiry of the lease, what is the course of action?
Would serving a notice period suffice?
If so, what is the general notice period duration?
Are there any penalty amounts involved?

Please advice.

Regards,
Ayan
Hi,

It depends upon the terms and conditions mentioned in your contract.I have got a condition in my contract that if I break my lease I need to pay one month s rent as a penalty,bear the cost of all the advertising for renting the house and pay the rent till the owner doesnt get a tenant according to his will.

So read your contract very carefully before signing it.