+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation - risks

rpawar

Jul 9, 2019
Hi ,

My question is AVR applicable via both AIR travel and ROAD Border crossing.
I mean which one is preferred.
I plan to go to Canada sometime next week. I am in San Francisco and a bit confused whether i should fly to Vancouver or Cross the border at Vancouver driving from Seattle.
Any suggestions and advice.
If i take the Flight form US to Vancouver and back. I heard the immigration is done in Canada itself.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Rohit

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi ,

I plan to go to Canada sometime next week. I am in San Francisco and a bit confused whether i should fly to Vancouver or Cross the border at Vancouver driving from Seattle.
If i take the Flight form US to Vancouver and back. I heard the immigration is done in Canada itself.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Rohit
Mode of transportation doesnt matter. Travelled by car as well as flew. No issues in using avr.
Also there is no preference mode which gets special treatment. So just go with the one that is convenient.

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Hi ,

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Rohit
Hi Rohit,

I'm planning to travel on Tuesday (16th July). Please let me know if you are planning during the same day so that we can tag along. I will be driving from Seattle.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi Rohit,

I'm planning to travel on Tuesday (16th July). Please let me know if you are planning during the same day so that we can tag along. I will be driving from Seattle.
Why do you want to go with someone you dont know?
Here is the issue: Some officers from US side ask on why you travel together and how do you know each other, why you travel together and so on. I dont know about Canadian side as i have not heard these issues from my colleagues yet but definitely US side the guys analyze the risk of unrelated persons who travel together.

I have my colleagues coming from windsor but i am avoiding traveling together except during car trouble days to avoid unnecessary profiling/questioning from cbp.

Its your call.

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Why do you want to go with someone you dont know?
Here is the issue: Some officers from US side ask on why you travel together and how do you know each other, why you travel together and so on. I dont know about Canadian side as i have not heard these issues from my colleagues yet but definitely US side the guys analyze the risk of unrelated persons who travel together.

I have my colleagues coming from windsor but i am avoiding traveling together except during car trouble days to avoid unnecessary profiling/questioning from cbp.

Its your call.
Thanks Hari.

I thought we both can travel in different cars but be in touch. Since, he might have something planned there while I have something else. Just the entry and exit points, I was thinking we could be in touch.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks Hari.

I thought we both can travel in different cars but be in touch. Since, he might have something planned there while I have something else. Just the entry and exit points, I was thinking we could be in touch.
Got it, thanks for the note. Sorry i thought you wanted to travel together hence thought of providing the possible issue.
All good then. Of course new company certainly needed in new location.

CanucksRajiv

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hello Guys,

Consider following situation:

If the primary applicant is on opt and H1B is picked up in lottery and currently in process. Can he travel to Canada for PR landing? Does automatic recalibration help in this situation?

pritparikh15

May 7, 2018
Seattle, WA
Hello Guys,

If the primary applicant is on opt and H1B is picked up in lottery and currently in process. Can he travel to Canada for PR landing? Does automatic recalibration help in this situation?
I think it’s not advisable to travel while h1b decision is pending. In fact, in your case until h1b is in effect(Oct 1), you shouldn’t travel. Check with your company’s immigration attorney for accurate information.

ajj123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2018
Hello Guys,

as long as you have an approved I-797. Since your h1b
Hello Guys,

do you have a valid F1 stamp to re-enter country? If yes then you might be ok to travel and even may not need the AVR. Read the webpage , it has clear details.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html

sameer318

Mar 16, 2019
Have used AVR since 2010, no issue ever. Mostly by road.
I have a question on departure stamp (if any required). Last time we used land border, to depart US and enter Canada, none of them stamped exit or entry. How do we prove, we are returning with-in 30 days? I don't recollect if US agents scanned our passports at exit.

ripster85

Star Member
Sep 9, 2019
I have a question on departure stamp (if any required). Last time we used land border, to depart US and enter Canada, none of them stamped exit or entry. How do we prove, we are returning with-in 30 days? I don't recollect if US agents scanned our passports at exit.
As long as u got entry back into US, means u obeyed 30 day rule, once u are back no one is going to ask about 30 days. If anyone breaks 30 day rule they are not let back into US anyways(they have to get new visa &/or stamping done, so nothing to worry about.

sameer318

Mar 16, 2019
As long as u got entry back into US, means u obeyed 30 day rule, once u are back no one is going to ask about 30 days. If anyone breaks 30 day rule they are not let back into US anyways(they have to get new visa &/or stamping done, so nothing to worry about.
Hey, sorry if I wasn't clear. I am wondering how does the USCIS agent knows that I only stayed 30 day when I come back to enter. If they scan my passport at exit (which means they keep a record) then it's fine. If not, then do I need to inform at exit that I plan to enter with-in 30 days on AVR