+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation - risks

Joshua2018

Star Member
Feb 10, 2018
Yes we drove from USA to Canada via peace bridge Friday afternoon around 1230pm. It took us about 45 min to get all formalities done including the line at the booths.
Another Question for you.
Did you apply for your SIN ( Social Insurance Number ) as well? Was there a Service Canada location available near the Peace Bridge?

ajj123

Star Member
Jan 4, 2018
Another Question for you.
Did you apply for your SIN ( Social Insurance Number ) as well? Was there a Service Canada location available near the Peace Bridge?
The closest service Canada was 20 min drive to north. We couldn’t apply for one. We got to the service Canada office and the lady told us that it takes 24hrs for our landing info to get updated. And we have to come back tomorrow. I’ve read members in the forum saying they have successfully applied for one soon after landing . Guess you can take a chance ‘

Reactions: Joshua2018

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Hi, we did our landing on first week of March. No hitches and AVR worked. We used Peace Bridge for crossing and carried all the documents the forum members typically recommend. I had a minor issue since my employer did not let me keep the original i797/. I had the original i94 with me and had to take a copy of i797. The officer wasn't too happy about it. He told me to get the original i797 from employer and keep it with me, especially while traveling. Luckily, he let me through. Good luck to all.
Hi ayn.rand,

I am in the same situation as yours with an expired F1 visa stamp and valid i797A petition with i94 validity. Can you please tell me the list of documents that you had taken with while you had crossed the border. I intend to use AVR in the month of July. Thanks for your post, it has given me courage to pursue this option.

Thanks,
Rohit

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi ayn.rand,

I am in the same situation as yours with an expired F1 visa stamp and valid i797A petition with i94 validity. Can you please tell me the list of documents that you had taken with while you had crossed the border. I intend to use AVR in the month of July. Thanks for your post, it has given me courage to pursue this option.

Thanks,
Rohit
You don't need courage, it is pretty straightforward. You won't need anything specific for AVR. Just your usual H1 documents (approval notice, letter from employer, recent paystubs etc.) Approval notice is the only thing that you will need to show (all other documents are only if asked, which is rare).

pritparikh15

May 7, 2018
Seattle, WA
Quick Update:
We did soft landing via peach arch border crossing, there were a couple of hick ups though.

(1) While crossing to canada, 3 people worked on my case for landing and no one asked me for address to send PR card. I asked the last officer and he said the previous officer already submitted your file and now changes cannot be made. He gave me a phone number to call and change the address. What a bummer!! Advice to you all, make sure you keep reminding them about the address while they are processing your file to avoid this.

(2) While returning back, I was referred for additional inspection since I had no H1B stamp and last time I left country was 10 years ago on F1. Inside, officer asked a few questions and then gave me a new I-94 based on current petition. Advice to you all, carry all your passports, at least the one that has the last visa stamp and H1B petition.

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Quick Update:
We did soft landing via peach arch border crossing, there were a couple of hick ups though.

(1) While crossing to canada, 3 people worked on my case for landing and no one asked me for address to send PR card. I asked the last officer and he said the previous officer already submitted your file and now changes cannot be made. He gave me a phone number to call and change the address. What a bummer!! Advice to you all, make sure you keep reminding them about the address while they are processing your file to avoid this.

(2) While returning back, I was referred for additional inspection since I had no H1B stamp and last time I left country was 10 years ago on F1. Inside, officer asked a few questions and then gave me a new I-94 based on current petition. Advice to you all, carry all your passports, at least the one that has the last visa stamp and H1B petition.
Hi pritparikh15,

While researching online about Peace Arch Border crossing, I came to know that it is the border crossing from Seattle - Vancouver. I'm currently in Seattle and need to land in Canada by 3rd week of July. Can you please let me know what all questions they have asked while coming back. I have an expired F1 visa and an approved H1 I-797A.

Thanks,
Rohit

pritparikh15

May 7, 2018
Seattle, WA
Hi pritparikh15,

While researching online about Peace Arch Border crossing, I came to know that it is the border crossing from Seattle - Vancouver. I'm currently in Seattle and need to land in Canada by 3rd week of July. Can you please let me know what all questions they have asked while coming back. I have an expired F1 visa and an approved H1 I-797A.

Thanks,
Rohit
Rohit,
While coming back, at the border crossing, the officer referred me for additional inspection that means I had to park my car and go inside. Inside, the officer asked why I never left the country? What do I do? Where do I live? Where do I work? He asked me to show expired passport which had the last F1 stamp, current passport and original I-797. Based on this, he gave me a new I -94 and took away my old i-94 from the time I was a student(10 years ago). You may/may not be referred for additional inspection.

If you are a consultant, then I would suggest you to keep much more documents like paystubs, client letter, client time sheet etc. I am not a consultant, so this is just my opinion based on crack down these days. Otherwise, you should be okay to use AVR to enter back without a problem.

Reactions: rohit.joshi

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Rohit,
While coming back, at the border crossing, the officer referred me for additional inspection that means I had to park my car and go inside. Inside, the officer asked why I never left the country? What do I do? Where do I live? Where do I work? He asked me to show expired passport which had the last F1 stamp, current passport and original I-797. Based on this, he gave me a new I -94 and took away my old i-94 from the time I was a student(10 years ago). You may/may not be referred for additional inspection.

If you are a consultant, then I would suggest you to keep much more documents like paystubs, client letter, client time sheet etc. I am not a consultant, so this is just my opinion based on crack down these days. Otherwise, you should be okay to use AVR to enter back without a problem.
Yes,
I'm a consultant and will keep all the documents handy.

Thanks,
Rohit

anuch2588

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Hi all,
Your quick help is highly appreciated!

I am planning to do a soft landing with my spouse on h1b. I have expired stamping but valid I 94. My question is has anyone tried automatic Visa revalidation for entry in USA on expired stamping and valid I 94...

note: we don't have any pending application with USCIS

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi all,
Your quick help is highly appreciated!

I am planning to do a soft landing with my spouse on h1b. I have expired stamping but valid I 94. My question is has anyone tried automatic Visa revalidation for entry in USA on expired stamping and valid I 94...

note: we don't have any pending application with USCIS
Did you go through the posts in this thread?

anuch2588

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Yes.. of course..
I am willing to know if there are recent example as I don't have client letter.. will it cause any problem