+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation expired F1 CPT

SGTM86

Nov 22, 2019
Hi guys

I am planning to travel to Canada by air in December, 2019 to claim my permanent residency. I am currently working in the U.S as a full time employee. I have a valid passport, valid I-94 and valid I-20 and My F-1 visa is expired in June 2018. I am working on Day-1 CPT from Harrisburg University. Would you please shed some light on these concerns:
  • I want to use AVR traveling back from Canada to US. Would that be a risk?
  • What documents do I need to take with me to make the re-entry hassle free?
  • Is there any other provision than AVR that I could utilize just in case I am not eligible for AVR.
Thank you so much in advance.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You are eligible for AVR. But day one CPT makes it risky (even if you had a valid Visa). There's nothing you can do about it. Carry all CPT documentation, letter from school DSO and employer etc.

SGTM86

Nov 22, 2019
You are eligible for AVR. But day one CPT makes it risky (even if you had a valid Visa). There's nothing you can do about it. Carry all CPT documentation, letter from school DSO and employer etc.
Thank you so much for a quick response. Just to clarify, by letter, you mean letter from DSO and employer authorizing this travel?

Divya601

Dec 4, 2019
Hi guys

I am planning to travel to Canada by air in December, 2019 to claim my permanent residency. I am currently working in the U.S as a full time employee. I have a valid passport, valid I-94 and valid I-20 and My F-1 visa is expired in June 2018. I am working on Day-1 CPT from Harrisburg University. Would you please shed some light on these concerns:
  • I want to use AVR traveling back from Canada to US. Would that be a risk?
  • What documents do I need to take with me to make the re-entry hassle free?
  • Is there any other provision than AVR that I could utilize just in case I am not eligible for AVR.
Thank you so much in advance.
Hi I am in the same boat doing phd from cumberlands. Have you started preparing. I too wanna step in there using AVR. Please help me here

SGTM86

Nov 22, 2019
Are you taking flight at by car? Can you email me. I am also planning at the same time
I will post on the forum when I (assuming I can) get back. I will be happy to mention my experience on this forum then so you or anyone on this forum can prepare.

SGTM86

Nov 22, 2019
hey guys

Just did my soft landing in Canada, came back to US using automatic Visa revalidation. The experience was smooth and hassle free.

AVR was done in Toronto airport itself. Just needed to show my valid i-20, valid passport and valid I-94 at customs. No questions asked.

Thank you for all your guidance. Good luck to whoever is planning their trip

Divya601

Dec 4, 2019
hey guys

Just did my soft landing in Canada, came back to US using automatic Visa revalidation. The experience was smooth and hassle free.

AVR was done in Toronto airport itself. Just needed to show my valid i-20, valid passport and valid I-94 at customs. No questions asked.

Thank you for all your guidance. Good luck to whoever is planning their trip
Thanks for sharing

samsmittu

Dec 27, 2019
Thanks so much SGTM86 for sharing. I am in similar situation (day-1 CPT and visa expired) and your experience is really valuable. I received ITA (Invitation) recently and currently in the process of collecting documents. I have few questions:
  1. How was your experience getting PCC from Indian consulate?
    • Did you face any issue?
    • I see that along with original passport, we also need to send notarized copy of visa. Since the original visa is expired, will this create any hassle?
  2. Can we count work during CPT as valid foreign work experience ?
  3. AVR
    • Is AVR applicable when just traveling to Canada ? (not returning to US)
    • Can we return to US again and continue working on CPT? Is AVR applicable only here, during return?
    • Is AVR still applicable if I have pending H1B? (extension/transfer/RFE)
  4. At any point, do we need to travel to India for PR process?

CanamPR

Mar 6, 2019
Hi I am in the same boat doing phd from cumberlands. Have you started preparing. I too wanna step in there using AVR. Please help me here
Hello Divya, I am in the same boat doing Ph.D. from Cumberlands. I am planning to drive to Vancouver from Seattle. Did you complete your landing process? Could you please share with me your AVR experience?

wolfpack78

Sep 18, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-06-2019
Med's Request
30-07-2019
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2020
Going through the same situation. Any issues getting boarding passes in the airport?

DHP260592

Jan 2, 2020
Hi I am enrolled in cumberlands for MS program and on day1 cpt with expired F-1 visa. I am planning to do softlanding at thw end of february. Does it make a difference if I do softlanding before or after filing for H1B?

Also, @Divya601 can you share your AVR experience? Can someone else please share that AVR experience? This is just to increase my confidence in the AVR system.

I look forward to your responses

Thanks
Deep

wolfpack78

Sep 18, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-06-2019
Med's Request
30-07-2019
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2020
Hi @DHP260592 , i am travelling on 28th this month. I found another guy in same situation travelling this weekend (Might find more information once he gets back on monday.). i am making sure to coma back before they start h1b registration. Not sure what the impact would be after the registration starts though. better not take any risk. If you wanna have a talk. DM me.