+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) to enter USA

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
AVR is irrelevant to you if you want to return in F1 status, since your F1 Visa is valid. However, if you are enrolled in some shady day 1 CPT school, it is possible that you will face more scrutiny irrespective of Visa validity.
If you want to return in H1B status after your petition is approved, then AVR will be applicable to you.

PatwaBobby

Star Member
Mar 7, 2019
AVR is irrelevant to you if you want to return in F1 status, since your F1 Visa is valid. However, if you are enrolled in some shady day 1 CPT school, it is possible that you will face more scrutiny irrespective of Visa validity.
If you want to return in H1B status after your petition is approved, then AVR will be applicable to you.

Thanks, cause you suggested again, not all F1 CPT colleges are shady

nneomaugwu

Sep 7, 2019
Hi, I have a few questions

1) does the using AVR mean i'll get a renewed visa? that is If i had a 2 year F1 visa and I reentered using AVR is my US visa now valid for another 2 years? or its just permission to renter?

2) what is the grace period after my visa expired that i can i can travel and come back in with avr?

3) I have an online i-94 and a new i20 at my new school. is my i-94 still valid ?

4) if i have a new i-20 because i started a different program at a new school (different from the one on my last visa) am I still valid for AVR

5) I know this is a bit of a repetition but I submitted a DS160 today but made no appointments .. am I still valid for AVR? (I believe you said i'm valid just confirming)

Thanks! i'm on F1 status but your thread has been helpfull

Last edited:

TB26012

Sep 30, 2019
Landing & AVR Experience -

We decided to do our landing via land. The landing process was smooth. Reached the border at noon. Was just asked for COPR and passports and was asked basic questions and then asked to sign the COPR documents. The whole process took about 30. All the immigration officials were pleasant.

Drove to a town in Canada for Lunch & then headed back to US in a couple hours. I was using AVR (Visa Stamp expired 3 years ago) & my wife had a valid H1B Stamp. The US Border agents were equally pleasant. I did have to park my car and go into the office to get a new paper I-94. Just basic questions asked, like where do you work, how long was your trip etc. The process was very smooth.

Overall a very pleasant and smooth experience on both sides of the border. Hope this helps someone!

PatwaBobby

Star Member
Mar 7, 2019
Hi

I have still not received any updates on H1B, 90% I don't think it will be approved, also, I am not eager to get an H1B,

So I will travel to Canada on Oct 4th, will it automatically cancel my h1,(also something to consider oct1 is usual h1 start date).will I have any problems proving I want to enter USA to study,

natarum

Jul 11, 2018
Hi,

My I140 is approved. My H1B visa/I94 expired on 9/11. New H1 extn is approved from 9/12, but I94# didnt change in the new approval notice. Am I eligible to use AVR option to reenter USA through air?

natarum

Jul 11, 2018
Landing & AVR Experience -

We decided to do our landing via land. The landing process was smooth. Reached the border at noon. Was just asked for COPR and passports and was asked basic questions and then asked to sign the COPR documents. The whole process took about 30. All the immigration officials were pleasant.

Drove to a town in Canada for Lunch & then headed back to US in a couple hours. I was using AVR (Visa Stamp expired 3 years ago) & my wife had a valid H1B Stamp. The US Border agents were equally pleasant. I did have to park my car and go into the office to get a new paper I-94. Just basic questions asked, like where do you work, how long was your trip etc. The process was very smooth.

Overall a very pleasant and smooth experience on both sides of the border. Hope this helps someone!
Hello - Which border did you cross and is your I140 approved already?

PatwaBobby

Star Member
Mar 7, 2019
Hi guys,

My current F1 Visa is valid and I am enrolled in courses, but my University has changed from the one on my Visa, do.i still use AVR?

krohit01

Nov 12, 2019
Hello members,

I have an expired F1 visa stamped on my passport but currently on a valid H1-B visa with I-797 and valid I-94. But I do not have a H1-B stamp on my passport. Can I still use AVR to return to the US? Kindly advise.

Thank you
Hi

I am in a similar situation - I was on F1-OPT and then changed to H1. My F1 is valid til 2021 but now I have a new i94 and i797A thats valid until May 2022. I believe that having a H1 invalidates the prior F1 and I should be able to use AVR (based on H1) on my way back from Canada. is that correct?

Thanks
Rohit

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi

I am in a similar situation - I was on F1-OPT and then changed to H1. My F1 is valid til 2021 but now I have a new i94 and i797A thats valid until May 2022. I believe that having a H1 invalidates the prior F1 and I should be able to use AVR (based on H1) on my way back from Canada. is that correct?

Thanks
Rohit
Yes, you can use AVR to return in H1B status.

Reactions: krohit01