+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Autism and Visa Application

dckcrz

May 7, 2014
Hello Everyone, this is in relation to our visa application for PR, with a dependent child with mild autism..currently, we're applying outside Canada thru PNP.

We already took the med exam last aug2012..we informed the DMP that our son (8 y/o that time) has autism..since then, there are numerous requests and follow up reports that we need to provide as per request by the immigration, in connection to my son's medical condition.

Actually, we have received "procedural fairness" letter and already accomplished and submitted documents showing the present status and condition of my son as well as various report results from developmental pedia, psychologist, school, and med exam from DMP ..they also required us to sign a letter of ability and intent to prove that we will shoulder financial support for my son, which we already signed and submitted to them (including our financial records and individualized plan)...our application was almost 2 years in process due to the medical condition of my son..

To date, we're still waiting for the reply from the immigration office...

In this regard, we are kindly seeking any idea/opinion regarding the chances/status of our application?
Thank you so much and God bless!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as they didn't say no yet, you still have a chance. You have to do your best to show that your child will not become a burden on health care and social services.

I remember a member on this forum who has been waiting for his immigration for 5 years with his Down's syndrome child or was waiting anyway last I heard from him. However, in his case, his child was born shortly after he applied and he had to add to his file so immigration may have wanted to wait until the child was older and they could see his future prognosis better. There was another member who applied with a Down's syndrome child who was eventually approved.

Now autism is of course not Down's syndrome but mild autism shouldn't make him any more of a burden on health care than Down's syndrome would so it is not a lost cause but it can seriously delay your application as they look into it.

Freespirit7

May 12, 2014
I know an applicant who applied for PR under provincial nominee program. He and his family are scheduled for medical in a couple of days. But he has a 7 year old son with mild autism. Should he tell the doctor of his son's medical condition during the medical exam?

Or if he decides not to declare, and assuming the doctor did not notice his son's condition, and they were granted a PR, will this pose a problem/risk in the availment of social and child care services because he did not declare his son's condition?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Should he tell the doctor of his son's medical condition during the medical exam?
I think doctor will see it.
and they were granted a PR, will this pose a problem/risk in the availment of social and child care services because he did not declare his son's condition?
Of coures. It is a misrepresentation!!! They will risk thier PR status.

dckcrz

May 7, 2014
Leon said:
As long as they didn't say no yet, you still have a chance. You have to do your best to show that your child will not become a burden on health care and social services.

I remember a member on this forum who has been waiting for his immigration for 5 years with his Down's syndrome child or was waiting anyway last I heard from him. However, in his case, his child was born shortly after he applied and he had to add to his file so immigration may have wanted to wait until the child was older and they could see his future prognosis better. There was another member who applied with a Down's syndrome child who was eventually approved.

Now autism is of course not Down's syndrome but mild autism shouldn't make him any more of a burden on health care than Down's syndrome would so it is not a lost cause but it can seriously delay your application as they look into it.
Leon, thank you so much for your reply on my query. at least there still a chance for our application. actually, the immigration has required us to submit various requests and reports which we already submitted and forwarded to them..to date, we're waiting (again) for their reply..we hope and pray that we could finally receive approval of our application..God bless you as well as this helpful site!!!

dckcrz

May 7, 2014
Freespirit7 said:
I know an applicant who applied for PR under provincial nominee program. He and his family are scheduled for medical in a couple of days. But he has a 7 year old son with mild autism. Should he tell the doctor of his son's medical condition during the medical exam?

Or if he decides not to declare, and assuming the doctor did not notice his son's condition, and they were granted a PR, will this pose a problem/risk in the availment of social and child care services because he did not declare his son's condition?
I agree with Regina, actually the DMP will conduct the medical exam individually, so definitely the doctor will notice..that was the procedure when we have our medical exam on august 2012..btw, we're still waiting for our visa application.