+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

`Authorized tenant' as opposed to joint lease for Common Law evidence?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, when my partner and I moved into our current home, over two years ago, the lease was only made out to her. My name does, however, appear on our original application (shown as partner to my...partner:)). We didn't know at the time that I could be listed on the lease as well, since I was not a PR. However, my name is also listed (in a few different places) as co-occupant. I don't feel comfortable asking our landlord to create a `new' lease (as if from the day we moved in), but would ask her to write a letter for us, stating that I have in fact lived here from day one (which would be notarized).

Would this work to prove that we've been living together, or should I just crawl over to our landlord and grovel at her feet...begging her to write out a new lease? :)

Thanks,

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Ponga said:
So, when my partner and I moved into our current home, over two years ago, the lease was only made out to her. My name does, however, appear on our original application (shown as partner to my...partner:)). We didn't know at the time that I could be listed on the lease as well, since I was not a PR. However, my name is also listed (in a few different places) as co-occupant. I don't feel comfortable asking our landlord to create a `new' lease (as if from the day we moved in), but would ask her to write a letter for us, stating that I have in fact lived here from day one (which would be notarized).

Would this work to prove that we've been living together, or should I just crawl over to our landlord and grovel at her feet...begging her to write out a new lease? :)

Thanks,
I think, because you are listed as a co-occupant, that coupled with a notarized letter stating you have lived there since day one should be perfectly fine. I am sure you both also have mail delivery and such with your names/address listed on the envelope or letter, as well as joint accounts and such? Those are all things that folks living together have so you should be fine! :D

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
*whew* Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Yes, we do have a couple of joint accounts (cell phones, bank, life insurance [for only one of us right now]), so I hope the letter from our landlord pacifies the IO that reviews our application. Sounds like it should, since they're understandably of higher intelligence (and maybe compassion, to a degree) than *other* humans...right?!?! ;)

Thanks again,