+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AUGUST 2020 *OUTLAND* SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
Hi all,

I am sponsoring my American husband. Today we received a request for additional information - they want his police certificate from Romania. The request mentions: "Police Certificate: From each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18".

HOWEVER, when we applied using checklist form IMM 5533e, it asks for police certificate from: 1) The country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more; and 2) The country where you have lived most of your life since the age of 18. In my husband's case, these are both the U.S. (although he was born in and lived in Romania for some time).

Hence we are wondering if this additional information request is a mistake on their part? The criteria they mentioned is different from what is on IMM 5533e. Has anyone else received such a request?

Thanks.
This does not seem to be a mistake. We provided only a police certificate from the Netherlands, where we lived, when we applied. They came back and requested a Police Certificate from Finland (which we should have anticipated really as this would have fit pour 2 you pointed out) and Australia, where my partner had lived for about 7 years. So, I think this is normal.

Reactions: sboo16

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
My partner and I just let go of our apartment in the Netherlands and are spending time in Finland until we make the move to Canada.
I am assuming we should update those details and let immigration Canada know about this temporary move ?

jckp

Mar 19, 2021
My partner and I just let go of our apartment in the Netherlands and are spending time in Finland until we make the move to Canada.
I am assuming we should update those details and let immigration Canada know about this temporary move ?
They won’t send you physical mail so it doesn’t seem you don’t need to inform them.
It might depend on how long your stay will be...I’m not sure.
I stayed my parent’s house for just only 2 weeks before coming to Canada but it was in same country where I’ve applied.

Reactions: canadianexpat93

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
They won’t send you physical mail so it doesn’t seem you don’t need to inform them.
It might depend on how long your stay will be...I’m not sure.
I stayed my parent’s house for just only 2 weeks before coming to Canada but it was in same country where I’ve applied.
About 2 months or so until end of July where we'll be flying to Canada because my contract is being moved to the Canadian entity of my company. A bit longer than 2 weeks and different country so...maybe ?

jckp

Mar 19, 2021
About 2 months or so until end of July where we'll be flying to Canada because my contract is being moved to the Canadian entity of my company. A bit longer than 2 weeks and different country so...maybe ?
I think it doesn’t matter to your app...maybe. Because your app is Outland.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In your case, it won't hurt and might help a bit (as you are Canadian applying from abroad). You can add a short note that you've given up your flat etc in Netherlands and (I presume) vacationing - anyway you get the idea, supports that you are moving out of current while preparing for move.

Reactions: canadianexpat93

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
In your case, it won't hurt and might help a bit (as you are Canadian applying from abroad). You can add a short note that you've given up your flat etc in Netherlands and (I presume) vacationing - anyway you get the idea, supports that you are moving out of current while preparing for move.
Thank you ! I guess it does put in context the whole move and intent to return.
Will let them know. While its not moving to Canada, it is definitely a step forward in that sense.

sboo16

Jan 22, 2021
This does not seem to be a mistake. We provided only a police certificate from the Netherlands, where we lived, when we applied. They came back and requested a Police Certificate from Finland (which we should have anticipated really as this would have fit pour 2 you pointed out) and Australia, where my partner had lived for about 7 years. So, I think this is normal.
Yeah they replied and clarified it to us, thanks. I just wish we knew earlier and we could've started the process to obtain it earlier.. now we only have a month to submit it but most likely will take longer to obtain it. Sigh.

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
Yeah they replied and clarified it to us, thanks. I just wish we knew earlier and we could've started the process to obtain it earlier.. now we only have a month to submit it but most likely will take longer to obtain it. Sigh.
Yeah, Australia was a pain for us to get, but they gave us 90 days so worked out. Australia had paper based so they were mailing the PCC from Australia, which was really inconvenient. We ended up calling them and asking really nicely if they could email us the PDF since that was really what we needed. If you're lucky, you'll be able to make the request online and receive it ASAP online, but otherwise, maybe try to find a phone number and do a bit like what we did.

Reactions: sboo16

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
I just received my passport request this morning! I'll post my timeline below, but a few things to note...

We're in USA--I'm American, and spouse is Canadian. I was never told what visa office my file went to (or if it even went to one!), but I found out on the passport request that it was New York.

I still haven't had a a line added to ECAS stating that they had begun processing my application.

I never received separate pre-arrival information. (Edit--just checked GCKEY and pre-arrival just arrived today as well)

ECAS status didn't change to "Decision Made" on the PA side until perhaps today. Still "In Process" yesterday. Only saw it at "Decision Made" after I got the passport request.

2020-08-05 - Application Received
2021-01-20 - AOR1 Received
2021-02-04 - Biometrics Request
2021-02-09 - Medical Request
2021-02-19 - SA Received
2021-02-22 - Biometrics Passed
2021-03-05 - Medical Passed
2021-05-26 - Passport Request
2021-05-26 - Pre-arrival letter

Last edited:

ark2016

Jan 11, 2021
I just received my passport request this morning! I'll post my timeline below, but a few things to note...

We're in USA--I'm American, and spouse is Canadian. I was never told what visa office my file went to (or if it even went to one!), but I found out on the passport request that it was New York.

I still haven't had a a line added to ECAS stating that they had begun processing my application.

I never received separate pre-arrival information. (Edit--just checked GCKEY and pre-arrival just arrived today as well)

ECAS status didn't change to "Decision Made" on the PA side until perhaps today. Still "In Process" yesterday. Only saw it at "Decision Made" after I got the passport request.

2020-08-05 - Application Received
2021-01-20 - AOR1 Received
2021-02-04 - Biometrics Request
2021-02-09 - Medical Request
2021-02-19 - SA Received
2021-02-22 - Biometrics Passed
2021-03-05 - Medical Passed
2021-05-26 - Passport Request
2021-05-26 - Pre-arrival letter
Thanks for sharing this! Our application is also in New York. We're Aug 19 2020 so maybe not too long and ours will come through!

Apr 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

Is anyone in the same boat as us?

We sent a paper application from the UK for spousal sponsorship at the end of August. Absolutely nothing heard yet and we are still unable to link our paper application to our online account. Its like we have never even sent anything!

I'm assuming that they haven't started processing our application yet which is fine, its just not a great system when you cannot even get confirmation that they have recieved your application.

We are beginning to get stressed as I'm sure everyone here can relate to.

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
Hi everyone,

Is anyone in the same boat as us?

We sent a paper application from the UK for spousal sponsorship at the end of August. Absolutely nothing heard yet and we are still unable to link our paper application to our online account. Its like we have never even sent anything!

I'm assuming that they haven't started processing our application yet which is fine, its just not a great system when you cannot even get confirmation that they have recieved your application.

We are beginning to get stressed as I'm sure everyone here can relate to.
I would give them a call. Set yourself up with a Canadian number via the TextNow app and use that to call the IRCC hotline. They'll be able to let you know if they've received your app, and can give you a temporary file number.