+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2020 - Citizenship application

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I was hopeless because it’s long journey so I was not checking everyday but today I checked it’s surprised even my husband also waiting for his oath ceremony he is ahead of me 6months
Yes, I get that. I was checking 2-4 times a day, but later I was checking just once at the end of the day because the anticipation and waiting was just too much.

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
So finally my Citizenship Ceremony was completed. It was pretty smooth and quick - total it took 1 hour & 5 minutes. Finally I am a Canadian :)
My experience below:

1) I joined the meeting a couple of minutes before the scheduled time. I was let into the break room exactly on time.
2) 5 minutes later my officer went through with the basic instructions. I requested for an In-Person pickup of the Certificate, but request was politely denied. But was told I should get it pretty quick since I am residing in the same area. Then went back to Break room.
3) Ceremony started within 10 minutes. Total 53 participants only.
4) Went back to the break room for more waiting.
5) Finally the officer made me cut out my PR card and confirmed my address. Call ended.
6) Immediately emailed the digitally signed Oath form as instructed.

Now wait for Certificate be
So finally my Citizenship Ceremony was completed. It was pretty smooth and quick - total it took 1 hour & 5 minutes. Finally I am a Canadian :)
My experience below:

1) I joined the meeting a couple of minutes before the scheduled time. I was let into the break room exactly on time.
2) 5 minutes later my officer went through with the basic instructions. I requested for an In-Person pickup of the Certificate, but request was politely denied. But was told I should get it pretty quick since I am residing in the same area. Then went back to Break room.
3) Ceremony started within 10 minutes. Total 53 participants only.
4) Went back to the break room for more waiting.
5) Finally the officer made me cut out my PR card and confirmed my address. Call ended.
6) Immediately emailed the digitally signed Oath form as instructed.

Now wait for Certificate begins..
What? They make you cut your PR card? What if the certificate get lost during transit and take another 3 months to get it? What document we would be left with once you are made to cut the PR card?

gins..

Radium

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 28. 2015
Med's Done....
August 18, 2014
Congrats everyone who recently got oath invites and people who have completed their oath ceremony. A looong journey finally getting over for some.

One observation- The IRCC counts the overall citizenship processing timeline from the day they received application (on their system) to the day they make a decision on the file. I see some folks have been waiting upto 6 months after decision made to take Oath. Their website says, the oath is generally scheduled within 3-4 months after taking knowledge test.
So, basically in-person ceremonies will reduce much of this backlog with covid restrictions being lifted completely across most places in Canada.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
@vir03 - That is the process. After the Oath you are legally no longer a PR. So you shouldn't be using the card anyways. They will ask you if you are travelling within 2 weeks, though.

Sniperflutt

Star Member
Jun 2, 2020
not trying to be rude, but you must need a Canadian passport to travel? PR card expired?
It is OK. It is just I don’t want to leave and then things changes and IRCC ask me to get back for the oath in short notice and of course this will cost me and disturbs my plans of taking care of my parents back home specially that they might be scheduled for critical surgical operation.

Johntierney

Feb 9, 2022
Anyone know how long it is to get the email to respond to to reschedule the oath?

I am absolutely livid with IRCC. I checked my emails and I literally told them 3 times (once with the exact dates I am no in Canada) via the webform, and they still scheduled the oath when I'm not in Canada for a couple of weeks.

You cannot speak to someone when you call them either.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Anyone know how long it is to get the email to respond to to reschedule the oath?

I am absolutely livid with IRCC. I checked my emails and I literally told them 3 times (once with the exact dates I am no in Canada) via the webform, and they still scheduled the oath when I'm not in Canada for a couple of weeks.

You cannot speak to someone when you call them either.
Reply back on the email from where you received the Oath invite. The PDF instructions also says what one can do in case if you are unable to attend. After sending email, don't expect replies. They will likely reschedule on a later date (could be weeks to a year, considering Ukraine refugee crisis)

Also the lines are indeed busy and auto disconnects, but keep trying at different times in a day until you can connect. I know it sounds crazy, but that's how it is.

Johntierney

Feb 9, 2022
Reply back on the email from where you received the Oath invite. The PDF instructions also says what one can do in case if you are unable to attend. After sending email, don't expect replies. They will likely reschedule on a later date (could be weeks to a year, considering Ukraine refugee crisis)

Also the lines are indeed busy and auto disconnects, but keep trying at different times in a day until you can connect. I know it sounds crazy, but that's how it is.
That's what I'm asking. When should I get that email? I haven't received anything

Johntierney

Feb 9, 2022
So I received the email for the oath invite today. I have let them know via responded to that email that I cannot attend this time and see what options I am presented with

John1234567890

Feb 1, 2021
Hello everyone,

My decision made was on September 28 last year. I am scheduled for oath on March 24. But I did not receive any email yet.
What are the next steps
Can anyone tell me when will I get the email?
Thanks

Reactions: Kornet

alexpolis007

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
hi all,
its almost 2 weeks now and i did not receive my citizenship certificate... now i am starting to worry.. is this pretty normal ? online it says to wait for 6 weeks before contacting them.. should i really wait that long before contacting them :(?

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
hi all,
its almost 2 weeks now and i did not receive my citizenship certificate... now i am starting to worry.. is this pretty normal ? online it says to wait for 6 weeks before contacting them.. should i really wait that long before contacting them :(?
Try calling them please.