+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2020 - Citizenship application

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don’t quote me on this but for those who are wondering, for early to mid 2020 applicants, looking at various spreadsheets it appears it is taking ~ 3months(approx.) after passing the test for - Language Skills /Prohibition/ Physical Presence to update to complete.

Background check complete to Test Invite 4-6 months (approx.)

These time frames may now in all likelihood be delayed given IRCC has stated they have diverted resources towards the Afghan crisis and refugees.

Pharoh2846

Star Member
Jan 30, 2018
Hello, I have a question please, my Cousin received the Oath update on the new tracker 2 days ago however no email yet, tried to call they said that all resources are tied up now and they listed 4 reasons to call and that was not one of them, what should we do? Oath is on September 8th

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello, I have a question please, my Cousin received the Oath update on the new tracker 2 days ago however no email yet, tried to call they said that all resources are tied up now and they listed 4 reasons to call and that was not one of them, what should we do? Oath is on September 8th
Your cousin should receive the email sometime around September 1st.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you very much, does normally take that long to receive the email?
Email can come in anytime in the 2 weeks preceding the ceremony. Some people even get it a day or two before the ceremony. If your cousin doesn't receive the oath invite email by end of September 1st, I'd recommend that he call IRCC the very next morning to see what's going on.

Reactions: Pharoh2846

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
For all applicants awaiting Test and Oath dates, I would strongly advice looking at the trends/timelines from their specific LO from the spreadsheet, rather than all Canada data.

Last edited:
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Anjushka

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
It is always best to keep valid travel documents whether you have plans to travel or not. I mean, if there is an emergency and you have to travel and you don't have the required documents, you might be in trouble.

At this time, oath is being scheduled for December 2021 / Jan 2022 (for mid/late 2020 applicants). In your case, you have already received DM and are in line for
Good luc
Thanks for this insight, wow Jan - Mar 2022 for folks who are already DM??

I can only imagine what it would be for those who are still waiting for the test invite, looking at the tracker there are quite a few.
I was very surprised at this too!
I’m not very good at calculating expectations based on previous timelines, but this is almost unbelievable. I was assuming that say, after my DM ( from August 5th), I would see the Oath completed no later than the October-December window of this year and the three months of next year would be enough time to get the passport.
Anyways, so what we’re saying is that it takes five months or more to finally and hopefully be able to have the ceremony? And I guess the process does not end here since we’ll still be waiting for weeks or even months till we get our passports?!
With all this terrible pandemic and the troubled world I just hope everybody’s lucky and alive to finally celebrate the day!
Let’s stick to our PR cards guys and forget about everything else.
I’m happy I decided to travel overseas, even though some people were suggesting not doing so because of this ‘in process’ application.
Good Luck to all!
A.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For all applicants awaiting Test and Oath dates, I would strongly advice looking at the trends/timelines from their specific LO from the spreadsheet, rather than all Canada data.
I did specifically say don’t quote me on this lol

Btw this is closer to the GTA timeline excluding the odd cases. But again, now with so many factors causing processing delays, there is no saying what the timelines are like.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I’m happy I decided to travel overseas, even though some people were suggesting not doing so because of this ‘in process’ application.
Good Luck to all!
A.
I came to the very same conclusion after seeing no movement for 6+ months.. It will happen when it has to happen, nothing we do is going to change this.

People picketed outside parliament and IRCC offices not long ago for spousal visa delays, wonder what the outcome of that was.

Reactions: Anjushka

robreeves

Jun 24, 2014
Hi guys,
I have a question about my PR card renewal. Since my card expires in January 2022 and because every stage of our citizenship application process seems to be taking forever, do you think I should apply for my PR card renewal?
I have already taken the test and have all stages completed apart from Oath, but have no idea about how long this might go.
Do you think it would be a good idea to apply for PR card renewal some time soon? It might probably be too early to even think about that but this is because I’ve read that processing times for renewal might take up to four months or more.
I don’t want to think of going through a ridiculous time in my life when I might be left with no PR or passport and unable to leave Ca in case I might need to travel.
Best of luck to all.
Once you take the oath and become a citizen, your PR status will expire. If you order a new PR Card and try to enter Canada on it as a citizen (in their system) you will probably encounter problems.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I was very surprised at this too!
I’m not very good at calculating expectations based on previous timelines, but this is almost unbelievable. I was assuming that say, after my DM ( from August 5th), I would see the Oath completed no later than the October-December window of this year and the three months of next year would be enough time to get the passport.
Anyways, so what we’re saying is that it takes five months or more to finally and hopefully be able to have the ceremony? And I guess the process does not end here since we’ll still be waiting for weeks or even months till we get our passports?!
With all this terrible pandemic and the troubled world I just hope everybody’s lucky and alive to finally celebrate the day!
Good Luck to all!
A.
Unfortunately, that's the ground reality here. There were a couple of applicants who posted updates today and they were scheduled for oath in Feb 2022 (this includes one April 2020 applicant). I guess they are so overwhelmed with the backlog of 2019 applicants, who by the way are one of the unluckiest batch of applicants (unfortunately), that they've decided to schedule oath for 2019 applicants in the next 3 - 5 months and then continue with 2020 applicants. If this was their thought process, then it would be considered fair by 2019 applicants but 2020 applicants will experience delays going forward.

Based on this new information, it should be okay for you to travel but just make sure you renew your PR card before you leave Canada just in case there are unexpected delays and you aren't able to return before the PR card expires.

The 5 - 6 month wait would be painful knowing that their citizenship is so freaking close, yet so far. But at the end of the day, a confirmed oath date in early 2022 is still better than no oath date IMHO.

I sincerely hope that they find better ways to fix this situation and allocate oath dates that are more reasonable.

I have yet again requested information from their corporate records via the Access to Information Act to get an idea of what we're dealing with here and the progress that IRCC has made since Jan 2021. Details are in the post below =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-test-collective-action-required-or-expect-endless-delays-years-example-of-the-effective-lobbyng-of-people-awaiting-spousal-sponsorship.697691/post-9649070

Reactions: Anjushka

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I came to the very same conclusion after seeing no movement for 6+ months.. It will happen when it has to happen, nothing we do is going to change this.

People picketed outside parliament and IRCC offices not long ago for spousal visa delays, wonder what the outcome of that was.
From what I hear, that worked out (to some extent) and the processing times got better. However, the pandemic came upon us and the processing times went down the drain again. One of my friend applied for spousal sponsorship for his spouse in 2020 and received DM in March 2021 but his wife still hasn't received Passport request. When he sent a query to the MPs office, the response that IRCC gave to the MP was about them not taking any questions unless it is about the Afghan refugees.

Reactions: royce110