****August 2019 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

Boilon

Aug 15, 2019
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Just want to let people know that we got our medical request today and we are in BC.
Going away for a few weeks on xmas holidays soon though so hope we can get it in by Wednesday lol..
In BC anyways it sounds like the cost is going to be anywhere from $300-350 depending on the physician. None are really open on the weekends though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elk-hunter

NDZ611

Oct 17, 2019
Just to clarify - the visitor visa (temporary resident visa) status expires Jan 29, 2020 on the passport and I am expecting OWP this month or early January as PR is processed in coming months.

Am I correct that getting OWP changes status from Visitor to Worker and that no action is needed to begin working in Canada awaiting PR to finalize?

As in, once OWP is granted the Jan 29, 2020 date is not relevant - and my status is determined by the OWP which for most normal cases will be valid until PR is granted?

-----------

Looks like all the medical requests so far in spreadsheet are for Alberta first!
that’s correct. I did check with immigration personally. Once you have the OWP, you are in status (change of status to valid work visa) for 2 years term and the visitor visa doesn’t need to be extended any further.

Reactions: TheUltimateLurker

TheUltimateLurker

Star Member
May 2, 2019
that’s correct. I did check with immigration personally. Once you have the OWP, you are in status (change of status to valid work visa) for 2 years term and the visitor visa doesn’t need to be extended any further.
Thank you so much for the confirmation. In that case, the road to SIN number + working is within the next month-ish!

Elk-hunter

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My Wife got her medical request December 7 :)
Our Baby is due on 28 th of December.
How are we complying with the 30 days?

Elk-hunter

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just want to let people know that we got our medical request today and we are in BC.
Going away for a few weeks on xmas holidays soon though so hope we can get it in by Wednesday lol..
In BC anyways it sounds like the cost is going to be anywhere from $300-350 depending on the physician. None are really open on the weekends though.
Congrats

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
My Wife got her medical request December 7 :)
Our Baby is due on 28 th of December.
How are we complying with the 30 days?
Congratulations!
Either you book an appointment with a panel physician and they will advice accordingly, your wife will be able to get her bloodwork and urine and postpone the x-ray until after the baby.
Or you could call CIC and they can extend the medical for another 30 days - which I'm sure you'll have your bundle of joy by then :)
All the best mum and bub with the delivery!

Reactions: Elk-hunter

Elk-hunter

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations!
Either you book an appointment with a panel physician and they will advice accordingly, your wife will be able to get her bloodwork and urine and postpone the x-ray until after the baby.
Or you could call CIC and they can extend the medical for another 30 days - which I'm sure you'll have your bundle of joy by then :)
All the best mum and bub with the delivery!
Thank you :)

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Just to clarify - the visitor visa (temporary resident visa) status expires Jan 29, 2020 on the passport and I am expecting OWP this month or early January as PR is processed in coming months.

Am I correct that getting OWP changes status from Visitor to Worker and that no action is needed to begin working in Canada awaiting PR to finalize?

As in, once OWP is granted the Jan 29, 2020 date is not relevant - and my status is determined by the OWP which for most normal cases will be valid until PR is granted?

-----------

Looks like all the medical requests so far in spreadsheet are for Alberta first!

Hi there,

I think I know where the confusion comes in. Permit and Visa serve two different purposes. Please see this page: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/travel-outside-canada.html

Simply put, if you come back from your trip before your visitor visa expires (January 29, 2020), you should be fine. The thing is, you cannot leave Canada and re-enter Canada after January 29, 2020 (even if you have your new OWP that's valid to, let's say 2021), unless you have a new visitor visa (because your current visa expires January 29, 2020)

If you are granted OWP in December 2019, you do have Worker status since that day and start working, and can stay and work in Canada until the date the OWP expires while you wait for your PR. If you want to leave Canada and re-enter in the future, you will need a new, valid visitor visa.

Permit gives you the status and allows you to stay in Canada while visa allows you to re-enter Canada. Think of visa as the key to your house -- you cannot enter the house without the key, and think of the permit as your legal document of your house that says you are the owner of the house and can legally live there.

Hope this helps!

ToughNuggets

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
Well, hubs got his medical exam request a few days ago. He has an appointment this Thursday to have it done. $400 at the clinic here in Alberta, and then another $470 at the hospital for chest x-rays and such There’s only one doctor in town that does them unfortunately. He is going to see if he can get a health card to cover the hospital tests, but we’re not sure if they’ll give him one without PR first. Hopefully no one else has to pay as much as we do!

Ncik

Star Member
Aug 17, 2019
Well, hubs got his medical exam request a few days ago. He has an appointment this Thursday to have it done. $400 at the clinic here in Alberta, and then another $470 at the hospital for chest x-rays and such There’s only one doctor in town that does them unfortunately. He is going to see if he can get a health card to cover the hospital tests, but we’re not sure if they’ll give him one without PR first. Hopefully no one else has to pay as much as we do!
What the heck? that seems wayyyyyy to much especially the X ray. The X rays should only be around 70$

TheUltimateLurker

Star Member
May 2, 2019
$250 all in in Ottawa - no issues at all.

July applicants got the Medical Pass in about 10 days since submitted, so I guess we'll see similar results in 10 days.....or due to Christmas Holiday it'll bleed into early 2020.