AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
because they working now to issue PR for May so 2 month more to start August ( December and Jan )
it is just guessing
Fair fair. Fingers crossed we get medical requests before the year ends then :)

Bukols

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Hi guys, my husband and I used a representative for the sponsorship application. Is it possible that I link up my application online and check status myself or I have to depend on the lawyer all the time for feed backs? Thanks as you reply me.

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hi guys, my husband and I used a representative for the sponsorship application. Is it possible that I link up my application online and check status myself or I have to depend on the lawyer all the time for feed backs? Thanks as you reply me.
Hi -- I have a lawyer working on my file too, I'll share what happens when I tried to link to MyCIC. In short, you can't link your application online to your MyCIC without removing your representative. If you use MyCIC and find your application and try to link it, they will say that you have a representative noted on file -- and if you want to link your application, you have to revoke your representative. Also, all communications will then go to your MyCIC. I didn't want this so I didn't link my application to MyCIC.

What I do, and you can do too, it to check the application status online using ECAS (https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/introduction.do?app=ecas) and sometimes call the Call Centre.

Maybe others have a different experience.

Boilon

Aug 15, 2019
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Hello everyone,

Been a little while since I have posted here, but ran in to a conundrum that maybe someone on here can help with.

1) Me and my partner (PA) applied for PR commonlaw WITHOUT the Open Work Permit, and this is because my partner is on the IEC Visa, but this expires Jan 31 2020 next yr in about 2 months. Now we are kinda regretting not applying for it anyways to bridge the gap between the end of the IEC and when my partner would get PR. Is it possible to apply for the open work permit after the fact or are we shit out of luck? It isn't a huge deal if there is a couple months of sitting about, but obviously would be helpful to possibly have it. Alongside the same notion, I read further back in this thread but do we need to get a visitor visa extension for Jan 31 for when the IEC visa expires or does implied status kick in at that point?

2) We are also going to be away for 4 weeks in mid December to early January abroad visiting family. A bit concerned if we get the medical request while we are away, does anyone know if this can be done outside of Canada if our application is within Canada? We are going to Scotland, and there are certified medical offices in Glasgow, but I don't know if we have to do it in Canada since that is where we filed our application.

Grateful for any suggestions, comments or answers :D

Bukols

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Hi -- I have a lawyer working on my file too, I'll share what happens when I tried to link to MyCIC. In short, you can't link your application online to your MyCIC without removing your representative. If you use MyCIC and find your application and try to link it, they will say that you have a representative noted on file -- and if you want to link your application, you have to revoke your representative. Also, all communications will then go to your MyCIC. I didn't want this so I didn't link my application to MyCIC.

What I do, and you can do too, it to check the application status online using ECAS (https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/introduction.do?app=ecas) and sometimes call the Call Centre.

Maybe others have a different experience.
Thanks for your response, really appreciated.

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
Hello everyone,

Been a little while since I have posted here, but ran in to a conundrum that maybe someone on here can help with.

1) Me and my partner (PA) applied for PR commonlaw WITHOUT the Open Work Permit, and this is because my partner is on the IEC Visa, but this expires Jan 31 2020 next yr in about 2 months. Now we are kinda regretting not applying for it anyways to bridge the gap between the end of the IEC and when my partner would get PR. Is it possible to apply for the open work permit after the fact or are we shit out of luck? It isn't a huge deal if there is a couple months of sitting about, but obviously would be helpful to possibly have it. Alongside the same notion, I read further back in this thread but do we need to get a visitor visa extension for Jan 31 for when the IEC visa expires or does implied status kick in at that point?

2) We are also going to be away for 4 weeks in mid December to early January abroad visiting family. A bit concerned if we get the medical request while we are away, does anyone know if this can be done outside of Canada if our application is within Canada? We are going to Scotland, and there are certified medical offices in Glasgow, but I don't know if we have to do it in Canada since that is where we filed our application.

Grateful for any suggestions, comments or answers :D
1. You can apply for it still. You'll have to send a paper application to the Edmonton office with the OWP checklist and requirements.
Also, the implied status is only available if you had applied for another temporary resident application (in which case, would have been the OWP). So yes, you have to apply for an extension (if you dont apply for the OWP), if not, your partner will be out of status.

2. You can do this outside of Canada. The only concern I have with this is immigration questioning why you had gotten the medical done outside of Canada when you are (in their eyes) living in Canada as an in-land applicant. They will not assume you were vacationing. In saying that, it's only a personal opinion, and you may still do whatever you wish.

Boilon

Aug 15, 2019
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
1. You can apply for it still. You'll have to send a paper application to the Edmonton office with the OWP checklist and requirements.
Also, the implied status is only available if you had applied for another temporary resident application (in which case, would have been the OWP). So yes, you have to apply for an extension (if you dont apply for the OWP), if not, your partner will be out of status.

2. You can do this outside of Canada. The only concern I have with this is immigration questioning why you had gotten the medical done outside of Canada when you are (in their eyes) living in Canada as an in-land applicant. They will not assume you were vacationing. In saying that, it's only a personal opinion, and you may still do whatever you wish.
Are paper applications to the Edmonton office specific to people doing PR, or is this the office for all OWP? I thought maybe it could be done online but maybe this is not the case? If I do the OWP then I don't need the visitor visa extension (but 1 of the 2)?

I only thought that doing the medical outside while we are on holiday might just make things go quicker, but maybe not? I have heard there are 30 days and we are only away for 26 days, so there is time to schedule an appointment when we get back I guess.

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
Are paper applications to the Edmonton office specific to people doing PR, or is this the office for all OWP? I thought maybe it could be done online but maybe this is not the case? If I do the OWP then I don't need the visitor visa extension (but 1 of the 2)?

I only thought that doing the medical outside while we are on holiday might just make things go quicker, but maybe not? I have heard there are 30 days and we are only away for 26 days, so there is time to schedule an appointment when we get back I guess.
There’s a department in the office of Edmonton that deals specifically for “work permit for spouses” that’s why it’s sent there. I would send it soon while you still have a valid status.
The OWP gives you a temporary resident status (the same as visitor) so you can apply for it. Some people actually apply for the extension as well for safety net in case the OWP gets returned. So, just make sure you have all the necessary requirements, correct fees and the form properly filled out to avoid it getting returned.

And yes, that’s understandable :) there is no written law saying you couldn’t do it overseas, i would just be cautious in giving them the wrong impression.

futurechecka

Nov 19, 2019
And when you do have a new employer or quit your job, you must notify CIC because it's considered one of the important changes (read the third bullet point) https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx.

It wouldn't impact your application -- just a matter of keeping all your info up-to-date.
Hey, it's me again :)

My Partner (the sponsor) got a new job offer and he is really considering quitting his current job for this new one (would start in January)

- Does he have to use the same link that you posted to let CIC know ?
- In this link application form, the 'applicant' would still be me, right? and he would be the 'Enquirer' ?
- They also mention "After you click "Next", you will have the opportunity to upload your document(s)."
Do you know what documents it would be? does the job offer contract enough? or do we need a letter from his new employer (like the letter we sent in the PR application) ?
- Also, should we let CIC know before he has started his new job? or after?

Thank you in advance for your help ^^

Ami55

Jul 23, 2019
Hello, i have received the owp linked to old passport ( 2020), how can i reply for an extension please i have the new passport now ? PLEASE HELP

Boilon

Aug 15, 2019
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Hi everyone,

I have decided to do an OWP paper application for my partner a bit late after submitting our PR application already. But, the document checklist to me is pretty broad and not that specific to those who are doing it as part of PR. Can anyone help break down the actual necessary forms we need to submit and what the actual fee is that is to be paid? I have the 3pg document checklist and to me it seems like I need:

1) IMM 5710 - Application to Change Conditions..... etc.
2) Proof of Payment (not sure how much this is)
3) Photocopies of the passport pages

4?) says photograph of current immigration document - and my partner has an IEC visa so I do not know if we need to include this document or not?

5?) And then 2nd page says proof of health insurance covering the extended period - but my partner is on MSP in BC so i don't know if this counts?

How many documents did everyone else submit with their application? Sorry if I am asking a lot, just i know the checklist is very general for all different applicants. I feel these are the only ones relevant to us, common-law sponsorship, but maybe I am missing something.

Last edited:

TOAidy

Star Member
Feb 27, 2013
Toronto, ON

Make sure you read the latest instructions on how and where to submit your OWP after you've submitted the PR application that's right to your specific situation. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

Does your partner have a passport that doesn't require a visa to enter Canada? If so, you don't need to apply for a visa extension (or if it's e-Visa, renew it online). As you already know, visa/e-Visa allows you to enter the country while Permits allow you to function in Canada (Study/Work) - they are not interchangeable. If you plan on leaving Canada and come back, both must be valid upon your re-entry!