+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****August 2019 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

llisitza

Aug 6, 2019
Hello all, my wife (US Citizen) and I (Canadian) are in the final stages of completing the Spousal Sponsorship and PR application with OWP. The question I have is this: is a certified police check (FBI check) required to be submitted with the application? Or are you prompted during the process to provide that documentation? Can we submit the application without the FBI check? Thanks.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hello all, my wife (US Citizen) and I (Canadian) are in the final stages of completing the Spousal Sponsorship and PR application with OWP. The question I have is this: is a certified police check (FBI check) required to be submitted with the application? Or are you prompted during the process to provide that documentation? Can we submit the application without the FBI check? Thanks.
If you look at the checklist, you will see it shows that Police certificates need to be sent together with the application, except for Canada PCC. I would suggest you check your checklist and this link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/united-states.html
Name of the document you need
Identity History Summary issued by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

Applying for permanent residence
You must provide a police certificate when you apply for permanent residence in Canada.

llisitza

Aug 6, 2019
If you look at the checklist, you will see it shows that Police certificates need to be sent together with the application, except for Canada PCC. I would suggest you check your checklist and this link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/united-states.html
Name of the document you need
Identity History Summary issued by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

Applying for permanent residence
You must provide a police certificate when you apply for permanent residence in Canada.
Thanks for this. We have applied for the FBI document through the online process. According to the link you sent:

It takes 3 to 5 business days for an electronic check. The FBI can send it to you by:
  • email through a secure link and personal identification number or
  • first Class mail via the U.S. Postal Service
Is the electronic check sufficient for the PR application? Or do we need something else? Thank you.

Manny777

Star Member
Aug 16, 2019
Hi @Manny777

My husband and I took turns to go through our application. He would read out the checklist and I would confirm the documents were there and then we would swap, I'd read and he'd check. We did the same with every single form. We also did other things like not look at the application for a couple of days and return to it and read it all through again with 'fresh eyes'.

You could also get a third party to check it through for you? perhaps a family member or friend?
Thanks for the response.

I am posting tomorrow.
Please let me know if the order is correct.

IMM 5533 - Spouse checklist
IMM 5556 - OWP Checklist
IMM 5720 - OWP application
OWP Supporting documents (Payment, Passport copy, Marriage certificate)
IMM 1344 - Application to sponser
FEES RECEIPT
IMM 0008- Generic application
IMM 5406 - Family info
IMM 5669 - Background declaration
IMM 5532 - Relationship
Supporting documents of spouse, applicant, proof of cohabitation, proof of relationship.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Barco
Thanks for the response.

I am posting tomorrow.
Please let me know if the order is correct.

IMM 5556 - OWP Checklist
FEES RECEIPT
IMM 5406 - Family info
IMM 5532 - Relationship
Supporting documents of spouse, applicant, proof of cohabitation, proof of relationship.
Barcodes need to be ontop of the documents followed by checklists.

Application for the OWP is sent together with the Pr application but it is arranged separately....needs to be on it's own with it's backup not together with the PR app. You can separate with a paper clip.

Barcodes pages (for 1344 an 0008)
FEES RECEIPT
IMM 5406 - Family info
IMM 5532 - Relationship
Supporting documents

Barcodes (for imm5556)
IMM 5556 - OWP Checklist

Reactions: Manny777

Manny777

Star Member
Aug 16, 2019
Barco

Application for the OWP is sent together with the Pr application but it is arranged separately....needs to be on it's own with it's backup not together with the PR app. You can separate with a paper clip.

FEES RECEIPT
IMM 5406 - Family info
IMM 5532 - Relationship
Supporting documents

Barcodes (for imm5556)
IMM 5556 - OWP Checklist
Thanks a lot

Reactions: Eveslm

JamesBarnes

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Barco

FEES RECEIPT
IMM 5406 - Family info
IMM 5532 - Relationship
Supporting documents

Barcodes (for imm5556)
IMM 5556 - OWP Checklist
If this is the case, we may have messed up the order on our application, we placed our OWP and PR app together using the following instructions from the website:

Step 6. Submit the application
Note: Before submitting your application, you should always make a photocopy for your own records. You may need information from your package after you submit your application.

Now that you’ve finished preparing your application, you can submit it for processing. You should do the following:

1. Place a copy of the checklist on top of your complete application package. This will help make sure the application can be processed as quickly as possible when it arrives in our office.
  2. If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class and the person you’re sponsoring is also applying for an open work permit, after the checklist, place:
    • the work permit application form and documents (if applicable) and
    • a separate fee payment receipt for the cost of the work permit application
  3. The order of documents should be as follows:
    • checklist;
    • open work permit application (and supporting documents), if applicable;
    • any barcode pages;
    • supporting documents, in the order they are listed on the checklist.
It doesn't mention anything about sending the PR application and OWP as separate applications. This makes it sound like the 'complete application package' is the two combined and the checklist its referring to is IMM5533e which is the checklist for the whole app.

I'm guessing if we've done the above our application will be returned for having it in the wrong order?

bluelady

Star Member
Feb 22, 2019
If this is the case, we may have messed up the order on our application, we placed our OWP and PR app together using the following instructions from the website:

Step 6. Submit the application
Note: Before submitting your application, you should always make a photocopy for your own records. You may need information from your package after you submit your application.

Now that you’ve finished preparing your application, you can submit it for processing. You should do the following:

1. Place a copy of the checklist on top of your complete application package. This will help make sure the application can be processed as quickly as possible when it arrives in our office.
  2. If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class and the person you’re sponsoring is also applying for an open work permit, after the checklist, place:
    • the work permit application form and documents (if applicable) and
    • a separate fee payment receipt for the cost of the work permit application
  3. The order of documents should be as follows:
    • checklist;
    • open work permit application (and supporting documents), if applicable;
    • any barcode pages;
    • supporting documents, in the order they are listed on the checklist.
It doesn't mention anything about sending the PR application and OWP as separate applications. This makes it sound like the 'complete application package' is the two combined and the checklist its referring to is IMM5533e which is the checklist for the whole app.

I'm guessing if we've done the above our application will be returned for having it in the wrong order?

I also followed what the complete guide says. And i dont think the app would be return just cause it is not in the right order.

Reactions: JamesBarnes

TheUltimateLurker

Star Member
May 2, 2019
I knew the order would be a tense subject. I put post-it notes on every page and colour coded them to know what is associated with what. It may not be perfect, but these aren't robots approving this VERY error prone application process.

I have to believe there will be some leeway.....you won't get rejected because of something trivial like ordering.

Reactions: Manny777

bluelady

Star Member
Feb 22, 2019
I knew the order would be a tense subject. I put post-it notes on every page and colour coded them to know what is associated with what. It may not be perfect, but these aren't robots approving this VERY error prone application process.

I have to believe there will be some leeway.....you won't get rejected because of something trivial like ordering.
I made a cover page and stated all the attached documents in order.

JamesBarnes

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
I'm more concerned that there was no mention of this checklist (IMM5556). We haven't sent that checklist with our application, we just included the main checklist (IMM5533). In regards to the OWP paperwork we sent form IMM5720, the barcode page and the proof of receipt. We paid the full $255 as I know that's tripped people up before.

So it looks like we're missing IMM5556 and duplicates of the photocopies (passport, marriage certificate) that we included with the main PR app :( I created a thread about it outside this one to see if there's something we can do

bluelady

Star Member
Feb 22, 2019
I'm more concerned that there was no mention of this checklist (IMM5556). We haven't sent that checklist with our application, we just included the main checklist (IMM5533). In regards to the OWP paperwork we sent form IMM5720, the barcode page and the proof of receipt. We paid the full $255 as I know that's tripped people up before.

So it looks like we're missing IMM5556 and duplicates of the photocopies (passport, marriage certificate) that we included with the main PR app :( I created a thread about it outside this one to see if there's something we can do
Can you attach the link on this thread?

Bungali88

Aug 2, 2019

So I was looking at this situation yesterday and from what I understand the checklists and extra copies of everything have been missed by a lot of people who HAVE NOT had their applications returned. One person in particular was providing updates of her whole situation and she forgot the checklist and copies and received her OWP with no issues. I am under the impression because this is a pilot project some things may be a bit mis-leading. Please don't take what I say as gospel but I have taken some re-assurance from what I have been reading.

Hope this helps,

bluelady

Star Member
Feb 22, 2019
So I was looking at this situation yesterday and from what I understand the checklists and extra copies of everything have been missed by a lot of people who HAVE NOT had their applications returned. One person in particular was providing updates of her whole situation and she forgot the checklist and copies and received her OWP with no issues. I am under the impression because this is a pilot project some things may be a bit mis-leading. Please don't take what I say as gospel but I have taken some re-assurance from what I have been reading.

Hope this helps,
I guess the best thing to do is just to wait. If they send the application back.