+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2019 - Citizenship Applicants

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
Criminality clearance is valid for 1 year. Security clearance is valid for 4 years. Here's the source. Look under the "Clearances" section towards the bottom of the page.

What might have happened here is that CSIS might have had to initiate deeper checks for some reason. May be there was someone who was a person of interest or in a wanted list with a name/DOB/appearance similar to yours or you were a victim of some "random deep security checks". Security checks are done by CSIS (CBSA also shares some responsibility here as they investigate and clear you of crimes like crimes against humanity, war crimes etc).

Or it might be that they, for some reason, are looking much deeper into your physical presence as a temporary and a permanent resident. Can't be sure.

What is the current status of your criminality? Were you ever asked to submit fingerprints? Criminality clearance expires in 1 year. Criminality clearance is provided by RCMP.

Your case is taking very long. Try ordering GCMS notes from both CBSA and CSIS. Be very specific in your request - Say something like "Please provide all relevant information including the electronic notes of the officers pertaining to my citizenship application".

I'm surprised you haven't tried this already. I'm not sure whether this will speed up the application or not but you might at least get to know *something* about what's going on with that application of yours.
You said "Criminality clearance is valid for 1 year. Security clearance is valid for 4 years." but in the new tracker, there is only "Background verification" and "Prohibitions".

Do you know which one is which? Thanks! :)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
You said "Criminality clearance is valid for 1 year. Security clearance is valid for 4 years." but in the new tracker, there is only "Background verification" and "Prohibitions".

Do you know which one is which? Thanks! :)
BG checks is set to "Completed" only if both Criminality and Security is passed AFAIK. "Prohibitions" will be set to complete only after test and interview (if you receive one) before "Oath Ceremony" goes to "In Process".

Last edited:
Reactions: Hapique and Anford

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Guys heads up. Looks like someone just got an in-person test.

Look at this post. There is no test window and the words "online test" is not seen on their status update. They've given the applicant a single date (June 7) to attend the test. The OP still hasn't received an email.

We're still NOT SURE if this is an in-person test but be sure to check that thread when the OP responds once s/he receives the test invitation in the email.

UPDATE: This could just be IRCC modifying the process to allow only 1 day for online tests instead of the 21 day window. We won't know until the OP gets back to us once s/he received an email invite.

Last edited:

srazi

Star Member
Mar 15, 2015
Hello,
Please update my time line.

Application sent: August 12, 2019
Received: August 15, 2019
AOR: October 29, 2019
In process: Dec 09, 2019
First Finger print request: Jan 02, 2020 (I got my finger prints done and sent right away)
Second Finger print request: April 15, 2021 (I was told that it more than 1 year so my first finger prints has expired, I took them again asd sent immediately)
Test invite: Aril 06, 2021
Took test on April 24, 2021
Interview: May 29, 2021
I checked my online status today and saw decision make: June 4, 2021

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

mbi3000

Feb 27, 2021
im thinking to withdraw and apply for Australian immigration and use my talent somewhere else. Canada is becoming a joke. I came in 2009 lived here for 10 years + never been into trouble. how many clearances do they need lol but thanks. They did the same with me when I applied for PR , put my app in quality assurance. big time ***** . A refugee comes and gets his canadian citizenship in 6 months while i wait years and then they call themselves Champions of fair justice system. BS
I feel you l, I have been living in Canada on and off since 2003. I finally decided to apply back in Jan 2020, my file has seen no progress except for AOR. While i see other people who only have been in Canada for 3 years and applied after me have their files almost completed. This is BS, recently I don’t even bother to check on my application because it just makes me angry. Having the same thoughts as you.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello,
Please update my time line.

Application sent: August 12, 2019
Received: August 15, 2019
AOR: October 29, 2019
In process: Dec 09, 2019
First Finger print request: Jan 02, 2020 (I got my finger prints done and sent right away)
Second Finger print request: April 15, 2021 (I was told that it more than 1 year so my first finger prints has expired, I took them again asd sent immediately)
Test invite: Aril 06, 2021
Took test on April 24, 2021
Interview: May 29, 2021
I checked my online status today and saw decision make: June 4, 2021
Updated your entry in the spreadsheet!

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
I feel you l, I have been living in Canada on and off since 2003. I finally decided to apply back in Jan 2020, my file has seen no progress except for AOR. While i see other people who only have been in Canada for 3 years and applied after me have their files almost completed. This is BS, recently I don’t even bother to check on my application because it just makes me angry. Having the same thoughts as you.
the worse part is if you withdraw your application they do not refund the whole fee. Like its a whole Immigration mafia. I have no idea whom to contact , whom to talk to even the MP s are helpless infront of IRCC. IRCC should be known as the Godfather .

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
the worse part is if you withdraw your application they do not refund the whole fee. Like its a whole Immigration mafia. I have no idea whom to contact , whom to talk to even the MP s are helpless infront of IRCC. IRCC should be known as the Godfather .
Yeah, your case is a strange one. August 2021 will be 2 years.

If possible, after you hit the 2 year mark, try going for a writ of mandamus. If they are holding your application without any apparent reason and if the mandamus is granted by the court, IRCC will be obligated to render a decision on your application by the date set by the court.

Talk to lawyers and see what they have to say because this is a legal matter. They can't hold your application without proper reason. "Performing background checks" or "Waiting for clearance" isn't a strong enough reason for IRCC to hold applications indefinitely according to this court case. The nature of the case I linked before is kind of different (there were other concerns including a couple of poison pen letters, read the case and you'll see what its about). However, the principle would be the same IMO.

Check the probability of success for mandamus with multiple lawyers before proceeding would be my suggestion.

This is only my opinion.

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
Yeah, your case is a strange one. August 2021 will be 2 years.

If possible, after you hit the 2 year mark, try going for a writ of mandamus. If they are holding your application without any apparent reason and if the mandamus is granted by the court, IRCC will be obligated to render a decision on your application by the date set by the court.

Talk to lawyers and see what they have to say because this is a legal matter. They can't hold your application without proper reason. "Performing background checks" or "Waiting for clearance" isn't a strong enough reason for IRCC to hold applications indefinitely according to this court case. The nature of the case I linked before is kind of different (there were other concerns including a couple of poison pen letters, read the case and you'll see what its about). However, the principle would be the same IMO.

Check the probability of success for mandamus with multiple lawyers before proceeding would be my suggestion.

This is only my opinion.
Well i am not the only one with 2 years mark, i had a chat with one of the users on the forum few days ago. His application is stuck since more than 2 years with the officer (Physical presence and Prohibitions in progress).

I have already involved my MP. I have ordered notes from CBSA and CSIS waiting on them. End of June im going to order GCMS . Its not that my file is not moving but its slow but now its in the registry waiting for Clearances and I do not know how long this clearance would take, perhaps a request for clearance from Ircc might show up on CBSA or CSIS notes which would give me an idea about these stupid clearances.

Writ of Mandamus should be the last resort. Like when you reach a limit.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Flandernss

Mar 5, 2019
I just checked the tracker - am I correct in concluding that the Online Tests barely helped in anything?

I mean, we are still about 50-50% of Online Test done for August 2019 applicants, like we were over one year ago.

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
I just checked the tracker - am I correct in concluding that the Online Tests barely helped in anything?

I mean, we are still about 50-50% of Online Test done for August 2019 applicants, like we were over one year ago.
Tracker is not updated regularly . One has to post each time on the forum to update the tracker unless the users have enough access to update themselves.

Ghledhow

Star Member
Apr 2, 2016
Hey guys, for family applicants..my spouse and I have the same interview time. Are we supposed to do it together. Please is there anyone here that have had this experience. I would really like to hear from you.