+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2019 - Citizenship Applicants

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Finally got the oath Invite for April 6, 2023, after filing Mandamus. I filed the Mandamus myself.
Congratulations. That's a long time. I am glad this ordeal is coming to an end.

How did you manage to file the mandamus yourself and did you find out what the issues was? Was filing the mandamus really time consuming? Was it a difficult process? I think other members will benefit from your experience.

Shoukat Halani

Star Member
Sep 6, 2014
Congratulations. That's a long time. I am glad this ordeal is coming to an end.

How did you manage to file the mandamus yourself and did you find out what the issues was? Was filing the mandamus really time consuming? Was it a difficult process? I think other members will benefit from your experience.
I filled out Form IR-1 (Application for leave and for judicial review) with the help of CanLII for case laws and ChatGpt for creating the form. Next, I filed the Form IR-1 online at https://efiling.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/online-access/e-filing-intro. After that, the Registry Officer of the Federal Court served the Application for Leave and Judicial Review to the Department of Justice at AGC_PGC_TORONTO.IMM@JUSTICE.GC.CA & AGC_PGC_TORONTO.IMM@justice.gc.ca. Following that, the Department of Justice replied with a Notice of Appearance.

I contacted IRCC council at AGC_PGC_TORONTO.IMM@JUSTICE.GC.CA & AGC_PGC_TORONTO.IMM@justice.gc.ca for an out-of-court settlement and offered to take back the case if they arranged an oath date. The IRCC council contacted IRCC and arranged an oath date within a week. Finally, I took back my case before it reached the hearing level.

In conclusion, I found perfecting the application for the Federal Court to be the most challenging part of the process. However, I was happy that I did not need a lawyer's help since my case did not reach the hearing level.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
I filled out Form IR-1 (Application for leave and for judicial review) with the help of CanLII for case laws and ChatGpt for creating the form. Next, I filed the Form IR-1 online at https://efiling.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/online-access/e-filing-intro. After that, the Registry Officer of the Federal Court served the Application for Leave and Judicial Review to the Department of Justice at AGC_PGC_TORONTO.IMM@JUSTICE.GC.CA & AGC_PGC_TORONTO.IMM@justice.gc.ca. Following that, the Department of Justice replied with a Notice of Appearance.

I contacted IRCC council at AGC_PGC_TORONTO.IMM@JUSTICE.GC.CA & AGC_PGC_TORONTO.IMM@justice.gc.ca for an out-of-court settlement and offered to take back the case if they arranged an oath date. The IRCC council contacted IRCC and arranged an oath date within a week. Finally, I took back my case before it reached the hearing level.

In conclusion, I found perfecting the application for the Federal Court to be the most challenging part of the process. However, I was happy that I did not need a lawyer's help since my case did not reach the hearing level.
That's amazing. Hats off to you. This is extremely helpful.

I am also really impressed by the fact that you were able to use Artificial Intelligence (ChatGPT) to significantly enhance your productivity. I am also trying to figure out how to use ChatGPT to improve my own productivity.

All in all, extremely impressive initiative on your part. Congratulations once again.

udaysvasu

Jun 22, 2022
Hi All,

I finally finished my Citizenship oath ceremony! I am a citizen now! Excited! :)

I just wanted to share my detailed progress here, if in case it benefits anyone.
Application Received: Aug 2019
AOR: Nov 20, 2019
Fingerprints requested: Dec 2019
Fingerprints submitted: Feb 2020
Citizenship test competed: Feb 2020
Second Fingerprints requested: March 2021
Second Fingerprints submitted: Apr 2021
Application got stuck in background check

Jul 2022: (Thanks to the suggestions from Ash79 and walid_Mississauga in Jun 2022) Emailed Vancouver office (cic-vancouvercitizenship-enquiries @ cici gc ca) and asked if I need submit again - they sent a new invite for background check since the last submitted result has expired

Aug 2022: Third Fingerprints submitted

Portal was updated with finger prints received and background completed, but no progress after that
Then status:
Background verification: Completed
Citizenship test: Completed
Language skills: In Progress
Physical presence: In Progress
Prohibitions: In Progress
Citizenship Ceremony: Not Started

Nov 2022: Like other applicants (in the forum), contacted my area MP office through email and explained the situation
In one week: Received reply from MP office (case worker), asked me to fill a representation form so that they could contact IRCC for the status

Dec 2022: Received email from MP office and said this: Knowledge test, security, and criminality have passed. The residency has not started yet. Nothing is missing or requested. Your application is being processed as a nonroutine application, which means verification of the residency is required in their internal process. I was not informed how long it would take for the decision to be made, so all we can do for now is wait. If you do not hear back in the next month and a half, reach out to me and I will inquire again.

Feb 2022: Contacted MP office again since there was no progress. They again sent an inquiry.

Mar 02, 2022: Portal was updated - everything was marked completed, except Citizenship Ceremony.
Mar 17, 2022: Portal was updated with Oath date as Apr 13, 2023.
Mar 23, 2022: Received email with Oath ceremony details (Virtual - Calgary office, though I live in ON)
Apr 13, 2023: Completed oath ceremony (emailed oath form after the ceremony)
Waiting for Citizenship certificate now.

Thank you all for your wonderful information sharing and support!

Good luck to everyone! :)

Hash1979

Star Member
Aug 9, 2021
Hi All,

I finally finished my Citizenship oath ceremony! I am a citizen now! Excited! :)

I just wanted to share my detailed progress here, if in case it benefits anyone.
Application Received: Aug 2019
AOR: Nov 20, 2019
Fingerprints requested: Dec 2019
Fingerprints submitted: Feb 2020
Citizenship test competed: Feb 2020
Second Fingerprints requested: March 2021
Second Fingerprints submitted: Apr 2021
Application got stuck in background check

Jul 2022: (Thanks to the suggestions from Ash79 and walid_Mississauga in Jun 2022) Emailed Vancouver office (cic-vancouvercitizenship-enquiries @ cici gc ca) and asked if I need submit again - they sent a new invite for background check since the last submitted result has expired

Aug 2022: Third Fingerprints submitted

Portal was updated with finger prints received and background completed, but no progress after that
Then status:
Background verification: Completed
Citizenship test: Completed
Language skills: In Progress
Physical presence: In Progress
Prohibitions: In Progress
Citizenship Ceremony: Not Started

Nov 2022: Like other applicants (in the forum), contacted my area MP office through email and explained the situation
In one week: Received reply from MP office (case worker), asked me to fill a representation form so that they could contact IRCC for the status

Dec 2022: Received email from MP office and said this: Knowledge test, security, and criminality have passed. The residency has not started yet. Nothing is missing or requested. Your application is being processed as a nonroutine application, which means verification of the residency is required in their internal process. I was not informed how long it would take for the decision to be made, so all we can do for now is wait. If you do not hear back in the next month and a half, reach out to me and I will inquire again.

Feb 2022: Contacted MP office again since there was no progress. They again sent an inquiry.

Mar 02, 2022: Portal was updated - everything was marked completed, except Citizenship Ceremony.
Mar 17, 2022: Portal was updated with Oath date as Apr 13, 2023.
Mar 23, 2022: Received email with Oath ceremony details (Virtual - Calgary office, though I live in ON)
Apr 13, 2023: Completed oath ceremony (emailed oath form after the ceremony)
Waiting for Citizenship certificate now.

Thank you all for your wonderful information sharing and support!

Good luck to everyone! :)
Congrats bud finally the ordeal is over.

Reactions: udaysvasu