+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2014 Citizenship Applications

Loriboo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2015
noor-blue83, I am not sure if you have passed your cic test in Hamilton.. After the test on August 5, I went to an interview with a cic officer, she told me they were very accurate in Hamilton office, I would hear from them in 2 months....and according to others forum, mostly Hamiltonians have their oath invitation letter between 4-12 weeks

KenCalgary2016

Star Member
Nov 25, 2016
Sorry for being late, here is the full event report.

Although typed in, couldn't post on Monday; so please read any 'Today' as 'Monday'

Today was a great day for many of us as we completed another important leg of our Canadian journey.
The Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 1:00pm at CIC Scarbrough Centre(SC). We turned up at 12:30pm and there were a lot of people sitting inside the hall and qued up outside the entrance waiting for the start. It was apparent from the crowd that SC is a pretty busy office and also noticed that people for different things were lined-up there together, by the color (yellow/pink/white) of notices each one held.

In a minute or two the reception staff announced people for oath ceremony to line up, first a single line, then another line beside. Also asked everyone to make sure the notice is signed and dated; hold the oath letter, PR card and landing paper ready in hand. While in the que itself two staff verified the names on the oath letter and check-marked present on a list they have and pulled out first two pages of oath letter separate. Also announced that only one guest per family will be allowed inside. As attendance was marked in the lineup itself people moved quickly into ceremony hall.

Staff collected the documents upon entering the room and tossed the PR card into a plastic bin on table, checked the name on the list again and gave us the (already assigned) seat numbers and returned all other documents (oath notice/landing paper). Only ten to fifteen people were ahead of us in the lineup outside but our seat numbers turned out to be the last three for day's ceremony. So I expected a back row seat, but the staff asked us to go to third row from front to find our seat numbers there.
Three seats were ready there with materials (bi-lingual leaflets containing oath wordings, national anthem, cultural pass, a flag and pin for each one and single copy of booklet about Canada with a map inside) for three oath takers and and an empty seat for myself as guest.

There is a small open closet with coat hangers at the far end of the entrance if you need to keep the seasonal cloths.

First, the clerk of the ceremony explained what will happen during the ceremony.
After all people were in, the CIC agent (Chief Clerk) briefed the procedure in a pleasant way for ten minutes. Then The Judge came in at 1:15pm. He gave the opening remarks for 10 minutes about what it meant to become a Canadian, asked us to hold the right hand up and repeat after him the Oath and swear allegiance to the Queen. Also said they must be able to see you repeating the oath otherwise will not be a citizen today.

Next, we took our Oath.
We did the oath repeating after the judge in both languages English and French holding right hands up. Staff were observing people lip movements. This is the first time I have said a full sentence in French language ever in my life! I am sure that 90% of the people same and had no clue what the judge actually said in French and were just blabbing something (from leaflet) ...My son (French School) told me that he feels The Judge seems likely from French background (Quebec) as the French articulations were excellent.

After the oath CJ (Hon. Aris Babikian) said that we just added another 77 flowers to the Canadian garden at this ceremony and congratulated all; we all cheered. That 77 included six under this thread, three from my family just an FYI.

A note for people who have never been to an oath before: Relax! Assuring again; you don't have to bring the book or memorize anything as all wording are in the supplied leaflets.
Just felt it worth mentioning as I noticed some people still carrying the Discover Canada guide and seemed very nervous trying to memorize oath wordings.

Afterwards CJ reminded us about the hard work CIC SC staff is doing behind to complete the citizenship process and organize this ceremony, thanked all the CIC staff each by name for their efficient and hard work.

Then, distributed Citizenship Certificates.
After he called everyone up by name to shake his hand and receive their Citizenship Certificate.

What people expected from the nature of the business and court like setup was a bit tense environment inside but the Clerk was making occasional jokes in his introduction and later The Judge also continued to do so, especially while distributing the certificates, made fun with kids which transformed the ceremony a very relaxed and and easy to enjoy moment for everyone.

The ceremony hall is a bit small compared to St. Clair office in my opinion where I took oath years back where the setup was like a conference hall, the SC room capacity looked like setup for about 125 people approximately, two rows in center lecture type seating and two side rows gallery type near the door. There were three or four people with priority seating (wheel chair) requirements due to medical(senior) conditions, they were accommodated in the side row front seats.

Everyone has to sign two places/boxes (CIT 0039 Prohibitions under the Citizenship Act) after receiving the certificate, which is actually a declaration that no police/criminal involvement after sending the application or during the process. If in case any; instructed not to sign the document and inform the clerks before, they will guide what to do. Also warned that if you sign without notifying now and later they found out, the citizenship will be revoked and will be charged for concealing information.

Once the certificate distribution is completed The Judge went inside and the clerk gave some more instructions like not to laminate or fold the certificate, as lamination or folding will tamper the security features and the certificate will become invalid, this applies to any other govt. documents etc. etc.
Then details of procedure to apply for passport and not to hurry down to second floor (PP Canada Office) of the building immediately after the oath as he has to sign the documents and enter in the system and transmit to PP Canada, so new citizens has to wait for two days to appear their information in PP computer system.

Closing, Sang national anthem - O Canada!
The Judge came back again for the last procedure; singing national anthem. We all stand up again and sang O Canada! repeating with PA system together. He closed out ceremony saying congratulations.

Photo session started afterwards and people had the opportunity to have their pictures taken with the judge.

I don't remember if it was a special ceremony or not but during my oath at St. Clair there was coffee and snacks after the event. The coffee session was missing from agenda so we took some pics and left by 2.30 pm.

It took 5 months and a week in total from start to finish for my (& many others too) case.

Wish you all still waiting a very fast and happy end to this journey. May not be on regular basis but I will be around here until then...

Thanks for reading.
Thank you for sharing your experience.