+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Attending School by Step child of PR Holder

aviral1990

Jun 26, 2019
Hello guys,

If I get PR successfully, will my stepchild( 10 years old) be eligible to study in Canada without any study permit? She will be accompanied by my wife and they both will be staying on Visitor Visa till I finish their sponsorship process.

Edit: I would like to mention that my wife has complete custody of the child.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys,

If I get PR successfully, will my stepchild( 10 years old) be eligible to study in Canada without any study permit? She will be accompanied by my wife and they both will be staying on Visitor Visa till I finish their sponsorship process.
Will depend on the province and school board. Since her mother doesn’t have status she shouldn’t but doesn’t mean that she won’t.

aviral1990

Jun 26, 2019
Will depend on the province and school board. Since her mother doesn’t have status she shouldn’t but doesn’t mean that she won’t.
Thank you for your reply. Thing is they both will be my dependents and the stepchild will also be my dependent only. The thing is I don't want her studies to get disturbed. So i am hoping there will be some way of her being able to study in Canada based on me being PR holder and she being my dependent.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. Thing is they both will be my dependents and the stepchild will also be my dependent only. The thing is I don't want her studies to get disturbed. So i am hoping there will be some way of her being able to study in Canada based on me being PR holder and she being my dependent.
Did you adopt the child? Family members would be entitled but a stepchild is not your family member. You have to check with the local school board or there is always the option to pay for schooling.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
depending on the province, the child might be able to go to school without a study permit, and once the mother get a work permit (that is if you will be submitting and inland application with open work permit) it would make things easier. You should also look into health insurance, again depending with the province, you might be able to add them as your dependents on your health plan after they have lived in Canada for a couple of months (the school will also ask for the child's provincial health plan number)

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hello guys,

If you are not a PR yet, and are probably still processing your PR, why not add them to your own application?

aviral1990

Jun 26, 2019
If you are not a PR yet, and are probably still processing your PR, why not add them to your own application?
Because with them included, my score reduces and I will be further losing points as I will become 30. So I am applying alone so I can get immigrate and then sponsor my family later.
Did you adopt the child? Family members would be entitled but a stepchild is not your family member. You have to check with the local school board or there is always the option to pay for schooling.
No, I haven't adopted her yet. I don't mind paying for a while till their PR sponsorship process completes.
I just wanted to confirm whether she can go to school being a PR holder's minor dependent (Whether paid or unpaid) or will she be completely denied schooling and education in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Because with them included, my score reduces and I will be further losing points as I will become 30. So I am applying alone so I can get immigrate and then sponsor my family later.

No, I haven't adopted her yet. I don't mind paying for a while till their PR sponsorship process completes.
I just wanted to confirm whether she can go to school being a PR holder's minor dependent (Whether paid or unpaid) or will she be completely denied schooling and education in Canada.
As I said before it depends on the school district and province. You will have to contact them. If denied she can try and apply for a study permit.

aviral1990

Jun 26, 2019
As I said before it depends on the school district and province. You will have to contact them. If denied she can try and apply for a study permit.
Thank you for your reply.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had such kind of experiences in Canada. All the documentation and FAQs mention biological or adoptive. So step-parent has no rights whatsoever? I cannot specify myself as a parent who has PR in Canada in my case?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Just wanted to know if anyone has had such kind of experiences in Canada. All the documentation and FAQs mention biological or adoptive. So step-parent has no rights whatsoever? I cannot specify myself as a parent who has PR in Canada in my case?
Yiu technically aren’t the parent of a stepchild.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Again, you have to talk to individual schools or school boards. Many make exceptions in cases like this.